Deployment Application Process Begins Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be applying for deployment sometime this week. Do I apply via the current method, or the new changes?

Sounds good. Glad to see the officers getting some assignments, and taking the load off you guys.

Sent using Tapatalk

Sentri, until we are able to do some actual forum changes on the backend, the form will still be submitted by you. However, I highly recommend you get in touch with your RMO, which in your case would be Lazkin for Midwest and show her what you've got!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment you do not. One will need to be appointed by your RCO.

So then concept designs are still capable of reaching the upper tiers of deployment as long as its something fathomable for the Halo universe? Im just making sure that I understand this correctly before I invest to much time into a concept design.

So then concept designs are still capable of reaching the upper tiers of deployment as long as its something fathomable for the Halo universe? Im just making sure that I understand this correctly before I invest to much time into a concept design.

405th guidelines may not mirror 343i guidelines - generally speaking we favour costumes that focus on what is possible in game (for example, no mixing generations, such as Halo 3 Mk VI pieces on a Halo 4/5 body set). With that being said, 343i's official stance on 'mix and match' costumes is 'it's all good'. Concept builds fall into a grey area - they're not exactly canon 'in-game' pieces, but if they've been published later as concept art in official media (art books, etc) I personally would consider them viable.

As long as the costume looks well done and has effort put into it, then you'll be graded fairly regardless of whether it's a canon build, a mix-and-match set or a concept build. Despite the grading system being very weighted and biased towards existing rules used by the 501st, we're not the 501st and the emphasis here is not on having every single one of our costuming members deploying in production-grade, game-accurate costumes. We're here to have fun, meet new people and come together to form a friendly community centered around a common hobby - Halo. Don't let the grading rules put you off of doing something fun and unique - and if anybody tells you otherwise, send 'em to me.

In long and short: build what makes you happy. We're not going to turn you away because you're featuring a concept build.

405th guidelines may not mirror 343i guidelines - generally speaking we favour costumes that focus on what is possible in game (for example, no mixing generations, such as Halo 3 Mk VI pieces on a Halo 4/5 body set). With that being said, 343i's official stance on 'mix and match' costumes is 'it's all good'. Concept builds fall into a grey area - they're not exactly canon 'in-game' pieces, but if they've been published later as concept art in official media (art books, etc) I personally would consider them viable.

As long as the costume looks well done and has effort put into it, then you'll be graded fairly regardless of whether it's a canon build, a mix-and-match set or a concept build. Despite the grading system being very weighted and biased towards existing rules used by the 501st, we're not the 501st and the emphasis here is not on having every single one of our costuming members deploying in production-grade, game-accurate costumes. We're here to have fun, meet new people and come together to form a friendly community centered around a common hobby - Halo. Don't let the grading rules put you off of doing something fun and unique - and if anybody tells you otherwise, send 'em to me.

In long and short: build what makes you happy. We're not going to turn you away because you're featuring a concept build.

Thanks much for clearing that up for me. Definitely been checking out game accurate models and I will probably wind up doing one that's game accurate just being pulled on a particular design so I wanna run with it and see where it leads. Right now I'm just building tools I'll need such as the vacuform table and getting modelings done and ready for the printer by hopefully spring. It's a bit more drawn out than I would like it but realistically speaking it should be full finished by summer

Best bit of advice I can give you is to have lots of conversations with your local Regiment Membership Officer. They are here to help! You are super close to getting added to a Regiment officially but there is nothing stopping you in the mean time from talking to that person. If you want to let me know where you are located, I can help you find that person!

no mixing generations, such as Halo 3 Mk VI pieces on a Halo 4/5 body set).

But in Halo 5 there is armor Mark VI and even Mark IV and V. These earlier gen armor were updated and upgraded into GEN2... So while you aren't doing just Mark VI from Halo 3, you can still do GEN2 with pretty much Mark VI.
It's even called Mark VI GEN1 and Mark IV GEN1.

As long as the costume looks well done and has effort put into it, then you'll be graded fairly regardless of whether it's a canon build, a mix-and-match set or a concept build.

I'm actually very happy to hear that.
I still wasn't sure about armors not being in the games and it's nice to hear that all can be counted as 'deployed'.

I submitted my deployment application and emailed the pictures over the weekend. Will we receive notification it's under review?

But in Halo 5 there is armor Mark VI and even Mark IV and V. These earlier gen armor were updated and upgraded into GEN2... So while you aren't doing just Mark VI from Halo 3, you can still do GEN2 with pretty much Mark VI.
It's even called Mark VI GEN1 and Mark IV GEN1.

The example I used wasn't meant to be taken as a concrete suggestion, merely as an example. What you need to be taking from this is that we're not going to be turning people away for having alternative builds - they'll be graded just as fairly as if they were game-canon armours. What matters more is that the effort that's gone into the project is of as high a quality as the builder can muster, regardless of whether or not it's mix-and-match.

Best bit of advice I can give you is to have lots of conversations with your local Regiment Membership Officer. They are here to help! You are super close to getting added to a Regiment officially but there is nothing stopping you in the mean time from talking to that person. If you want to let me know where you are located, I can help you find that person!

Thanks FANGS Im in central Pennsylvania so I will be with the Colonial unit. Ive already came across several and there are more than a few within a few hours of where I live. I wasnt sure If I was to keep my questioning primarily to New Recruit sections until after making that jump. Thanks for letting me know :)

The example I used wasn't meant to be taken as a concrete suggestion, merely as an example. What you need to be taking from this is that we're not going to be turning people away for having alternative builds - they'll be graded just as fairly as if they were game-canon armours. What matters more is that the effort that's gone into the project is of as high a quality as the builder can muster, regardless of whether or not it's mix-and-match.

I'm sorry. It seems I took it bit too literal there...
But I agree. :)

Just to clear things up here - if it can happen in game it is allowed here. If it CAN'T happen in game, it is not. Mash ups are no different. The base costume minus the mash up paint job etc. must be able to exist in game. That gives us such a HUGE range of costumes that it's proving difficult to find reference but we decided in the beginning that this was the best way to go So, if you can't play a character in game with a Spartan helmet and ODST gear, then it isn't approvable here. If you are applying with a costume that is playable in game but is a mix of different armor versions, make sure to state that in the deployment application to help the DMO's out when reviewing. Again - your best bet is always to speak to your Regiment Membership Officer or to a Division Membership Officer to make sure what you are considering will be approvable.
Evolver79 - applications might be a little slowed down as we review new DMO applications and get that person up and running but I see your application there and it has been started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clear things up here - if it can happen in game it is allowed here. If it CAN'T happen in game, it is not. Mash ups are no different. The base costume minus the mash up paint job etc. must be able to exist in game. That gives us such a HUGE range of costumes that it's proving difficult to find reference but we decided in the beginning that this was the best way to go So, if you can't play a character in game with a Spartan helmet and ODST gear, then it isn't approvable here. If you are applying with a costume that is playable in game but is a mix of different armor versions, make sure to state that in the deployment application to help the DMO's out when reviewing. Again - your best bet is always to speak to your Regiment Membership Officer or to a Division Membership Officer to make sure what you are considering will be approvable.

Fangs, but then what about other media? Books, comics and especially concept art?
There are many beautiful things outside the games, I find concept arts contain many beautiful ideas that were either just fleshed out or pretty much finished, but unfortunately didn't make it into game.
(I mean especially marines, ODSTs and other forces... or even MJOLNIR armor parts like helmets, parts, etc.)

Are we talking 343i concept art?

The key things when submitting a Costume for deployment, that is not from a game, is that it must:
1. Have a clear visual reference that a costume can be compared to and graded against.
2. Be from an Official Microsoft/343i production/publication.

As this applies to concept art, the take aways are thus is there enough and clear reference for the costume/armor component. i.e. Is it more than a low res thumbnail sketch? (Ideally is there more than one angle or view of it , or is it based on an existing item enough that certain inferences can be made.) Is this confirmable "official" concept art, ideally published in a 343i book like "The Art of Halo" and not simply a picture hosted the website of an artist who has worked on Halo in the past..

Status
Not open for further replies.