Disappointed With Reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IM going over my friends house to play it in 2 hours, but i have some complaints. Does bungie hate me and make me lose at invasion when im spratan or elite, I always get randomly killed with no logic, noone even shot me. Except before i was sniped and armor lock deflected and switched off and he armor locked it back and it counted as a suicide WTF. Bungie Fix all of these gay problems :p.

@xalener:

I agree its race to even get in amatch you want sometimes.

Only thing I dislike so far is the default controller setup.

So, I used a different setup. Recon is essentially Halo 3's setup, but with Armor Ability mapped to LB, and grenade select mapped to X. I love it. Puts more accuracy to armor ability use, since you don't have to move over from your combat controls to use it; just use your relatively useless left index finger on your relatively useless left bumper.

I, personally, think, aside from a few tweaks, Reach is a DAMN good game, thus far. Hope the story matches gameplay in terms of sheer awesome and fun-ness.

Now that I've gotten used to the default controls, I actually like them better. You should give it a try--it makes melee battles a tad easier now considering you never have to remove your right thumb off the right stick to melee.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I feel like I'm terrible.

Most slayer games in Halo 3, I would either get first or second place in kills for my team and usually go +5 or more.

But now I always feel like I'm negative.

Plus, I don't really like the rating system either. If my team loses, but I do the best on the team and go positive, I get equal or less points than the worst guy on the winning team who went negative. Wut?

And does anyone know what the number means on your division star?

Let's start by acknowledging that I am an atypical gamer. I am easily 2-3 times older than most of the illiterate ranting little kiddies who seem to be monopolizing the Bungie forums. I have ZERO interest in MLG or "competitive" play or the "Great DMR vs. BR debate of 2010". I don't spend 4-5 hours a day playing or memorizing every weapon spawn and map glitch on every single map so I can boost my way to greatness. I don't suck, but I'm definately not on the way to the top. I play for fun and that's it - winning the occasional match is gravy. If you are a hard-core player - great - more power to you. That's just not where I'm coming from.

That being said - Halo 3 was a system seller for me. I had H2 and while I played it, I wasn't "hooked". Halo 3 changed everything - I became a Halo junkie. Replayed ALL the games over and over, joined the 405th, armored up, made props, purchased the fiction and reference books, RvB, the whole deal. Love the games - still play all 3 (4 if you count ODST) campaigns over and over.

ODST was an anomaly and frankly one that I really enjoy. There are clear-cut reasons why the gameplay was different. It's a brand new experience - your first foray as a regular (albeit badass) human. The weapons, while different, are variants of existing weapons. Your abilities and tech make sense in context. While there are certainly things I would tweak on ODST, overall I think it did pretty much what it was supposed to do.

Along comes the Reach BETA and the best I can come up with is an apathetic "meh"...

It just doesn't feel like "Halo" anymore. I'm not opposed to change when required, but I am opposed to change just for change's sake. It just feels like Bungie grabbed a bunch of miscellaneous bits and pieces from a drunken brainstorming session (and other successful franchises), threw them into a bag with Halo 3, shook it up, and stuck a "Halo" label on it. These are not minor changes or tweaks to take advantage of an upgraded engine, what they have done is change up essentially every aspect of game play and everything that made the Spartans the ultimate badass hero over the last 3 games. They have simultaneously diluted and overcomplicated everything to the point that it just feels forced and clumsy now. Simplicity and intuitive gameplay made the earlier games true classics. Don't fix things that aren't broken - gameplay and mechanics aren't things that need to be "reimagined" just because...

YES - Reach takes place before the rest of the series but in this case "before" is measured in days/weeks, not years and decades. There is very little continuity in weapons, abilities, equipment - anything! Are we really supposed to believe that these two completely different worlds exist concurrently in the Haloverse? Bungie may come up with a way to stuff the storyline into "canon" somehow (I can think of a few options off the top of my head) but the rest of this mess? It just feels like we moved out of the Haloverse and the gameplay we all knew and loved and directly into some vaguely-related generic next-gen FPS.

I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A BETA and things can and will change. But the people who keep shouting "IT'S A BETA - RELAX" need to understand that the changes made from this point forward will be minor. They are NOT going to go back and re-think the whole deal - what we are playing now is probably 90-95% complete. If it weren't, it wouldn't have been released and we wouldn't be playing it. I would LOVE to be wrong (PLEASE let me be wrong) but as it stands now, I'm not sold on these "improvements"...

I'm sure that it will be a commercial success and I still love me some Bungie, I just feel they have turned this from what should have been the ultimate Halo sendoff to some contractually-obligated installment designed to appeal to the COD/MW crowd.

Sorry Bungie - you guys still rule but in my opinion, you missed the mark on this one...

Really and truly- I enjoy Reach a lot! I do of course have some complaints...

Invasion

-Vehicle damage makes every vehicle a death trap

-Elite spawns are too easily campable

-only takes a single clip of AR to destroy a banshee, at LONG range.

-Humans just steal every covenant vehicle but the covenant have no access to human vehicle spawn

Really, that's about it right now... but even still I have a blast with the game... It is kind of sad to see them move away from their original formula, but I can also understand them wanting to move ahead with trying stuff for the "last" halo game. Either way it's still quite fun in my opinion!

DogWizard said:
Let's start by acknowledging that I am an atypical gamer. I am easily 2-3 times older than most of the illiterate ranting little kiddies who seem to be monopolizing the Bungie forums. I have ZERO interest in MLG or "competitive" play or the "Great DMR vs. BR debate of 2010". I don't spend 4-5 hours a day playing or memorizing every weapon spawn and map glitch on every single map so I can boost my way to greatness. I don't suck, but I'm definately not on the way to the top. I play for fun and that's it - winning the occasional match is gravy. If you are a hard-core player - great - more power to you. That's just not where I'm coming from.

That being said - Halo 3 was a system seller for me. I had H2 and while I played it, I wasn't "hooked". Halo 3 changed everything - I became a Halo junkie. Replayed ALL the games over and over, joined the 405th, armored up, made props, purchased the fiction and reference books, RvB, the whole deal. Love the games - still play all 3 (4 if you count ODST) campaigns over and over.

ODST was an anomaly and frankly one that I really enjoy. There are clear-cut reasons why the gameplay was different. It's a brand new experience - your first foray as a regular (albeit badass) human. The weapons, while different, are variants of existing weapons. Your abilities and tech make sense in context. While there are certainly things I would tweak on ODST, overall I think it did pretty much what it was supposed to do.

Along comes the Reach BETA and the best I can come up with is an apathetic "meh"...

It just doesn't feel like "Halo" anymore. I'm not opposed to change when required, but I am opposed to change just for change's sake. It just feels like Bungie grabbed a bunch of miscellaneous bits and pieces from a drunken brainstorming session (and other successful franchises), threw them into a bag with Halo 3, shook it up, and stuck a "Halo" label on it. These are not minor changes or tweaks to take advantage of an upgraded engine, what they have done is change up essentially every aspect of game play and everything that made the Spartans the ultimate badass hero over the last 3 games. They have simultaneously diluted and overcomplicated everything to the point that it just feels forced and clumsy now. Simplicity and intuitive gameplay made the earlier games true classics. Don't fix things that aren't broken - gameplay and mechanics aren't things that need to be "reimagined" just because...

YES - Reach takes place before the rest of the series but in this case "before" is measured in days/weeks, not years and decades. There is very little continuity in weapons, abilities, equipment - anything! Are we really supposed to believe that these two completely different worlds exist concurrently in the Haloverse? Bungie may come up with a way to stuff the storyline into "canon" somehow (I can think of a few options off the top of my head) but the rest of this mess? It just feels like we moved out of the Haloverse and the gameplay we all knew and loved and directly into some vaguely-related generic next-gen FPS.

I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A BETA and things can and will change. But the people who keep shouting "IT'S A BETA - RELAX" need to understand that the changes made from this point forward will be minor. They are NOT going to go back and re-think the whole deal - what we are playing now is probably 90-95% complete. If it weren't, it wouldn't have been released and we wouldn't be playing it. I would LOVE to be wrong (PLEASE let me be wrong) but as it stands now, I'm not sold on these "improvements"...

I'm sure that it will be a commercial success and I still love me some Bungie, I just feel they have turned this from what should have been the ultimate Halo sendoff to some contractually-obligated installment designed to appeal to the COD/MW crowd.

Sorry Bungie - you guys still rule but in my opinion, you missed the mark on this one...

The continuity makes perfect sense. You're in the Army this time. The army in Halo would rather use old stuff that works than new stuff that could malfunction. That's why you run around with an MA37 and a DMR and not an MA5b and a BR. This is still f***ing Halo. One slight step to the left or right doesn't change the fact you're moving forward. And you DARE call it "just because"?

"Just for the hell of it"?

That's what you think their motivation is? THAT's what you think they did with three f***ING YEARS of development time? That's bull$#!T. Complete and utter bull$#!T.

How the f*** is this Not Halo? Sure the loadouts change the game up, but they don't change the feel at ALL. There's nothing they did to make this game feel less like Halo. The only people who think this are people who've never played another FPS for an extended time before. They don't understand that the ramp of speed in movement and aim from slow to fast is a big factor in a game's feel. Halo's has NEVER changed. The weapons work the same way. They still have the classic balance system of mag size, ROF, damage, and reload speed.

Jesus christ. You people want to know why I'm mad?

Are you sure?

It's because none of you know what the hell any of you are talking about.

First of all, It's not "Bungie the company" It's a team of a bit over 100 developers all with specific jobs. If you're mad about the weapon balance, say "I'm dissapointed in SAGE" Not bungie.

Second, stop being so damn naive. I swear that none of the people I've seen who hate this beta has ever played ANOTHER damn shooter in their life since the 90's. If you've spent time playing boarderlands, COD, Killzone, Crysis, l4d, or ANYTHING ELSE, you'd know what Halo feels like. None of you who complain that this isn't halo knows what Halo feels like, because none of you know what anything else feels like.

Third, complaints like "it's made for noobs" "It's catering to the COD crowd" and other bull$#!T like that are all insults to those who enjoy the beta.

Fourth, They can't miss the mark that THEY PUT THERE THEMSELVES. All the problems you have with their game is because they HIT the mark. They know EXACTLY what the f*** they're doing, and they know EXACTLY why the f*** they're doing it. Don't you dare feel that you're entitled to tell them otherwise. They knew what they were doing when they put in AAs, loadouts, and the like. If they didn't they wouldn't be here would they?

Stop trying to work agains the change. Use all the new features. An most of all, SPAM NOTHING. THat's probably why you're all pissed. Halo 1-3 was a spam-everything fest. Spam the jump. Spray the AR. Spray the br. Spam the sniper and shotty. Spam nades. There's no skill in that. There hasn't been skill in Halo since 1. And even then you ha to have some self controll. Halo reach is built aainst these. The reticul bloom (that's always been there) is now visible, as a deterrent for just slapping the finger back and forth on the trigger. The grenades fly in a straighter curve and bounce less. They have a longer det time and are more powerful. You have a higher chance of killing yourself with them. Also- My god there's a giant octapus attacking the international space station.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the last time Xalener, consider yourself warned (again) and the next time I have to call you up on your language you're going on moderator preview or maybe I'll just suspend you for a while. Calm down and express your opinions without going off at people.

@ Dogwizard: You had me up to 'meh'. I think I'm the same kind of gamer as you describe but for whatever reason I love the Beta. Go figure!

To all, I think that it needs to be appreciated that Bungie has churned out one last Halo game.. We're very lucky to get this from them after the divorce from Microsoft. I also recognize that they're throwing everything they have at it to go out with a bang. They want to break the Halo mold on the way out, so no other developer can match up to the awesome that they have delivered.

That being said, I think anyone playing the game has to be really open-minded, and to resist the urge to compare it to other Halo games. Every Halo game has been controversial. I heard Halo 1 was over-rated, Halo 2 was too short, Halo 3 didn't live up to expectations, and that ODST was a ripoff.

But do I agree with any of that? No. Know why? Because I love Halo, and I value all the amusement it's given me over the years. Do I agree with all of the changes they made in Reach?.. not all, but most have been fun, and collectively they have made a fresh, new gaming experience out of an old franchise. I trust Bungie at this point, they have given me some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I'll give them time to hear the fans response and I'll reserve judgment until they give us the finished product.

I really feel like fans spit in Bungie's face way too often. They did this Beta test to involve us in the end development of the game so that we could be a part of the process. Every time I hear people insulting them for this change or that I think that the people that don't appreciate the experience and opportunity just don't deserve it, and I bid them farewell.

So anyhow.. I wasn't disappointed with the Reach Beta, and I'm looking forward to playing the actual game when it comes out. I think it's going to be every bit as fun as the previous games.

I love it all...except the jet packs. Boycott the jet packs! :p

Seriously though it's all pretty well balanced and fun apart from a few tweaks they could give a few weapons and equipment, but that's what the beta is here for in the first place. :)

Official Status: Excited for Halo: Reach Release.

@ Sean

Ouch! I hope that most of that was generic commentary and not directed at me specifically... :unsure

I didn't think I was that hard on them and I certainly do appreciate the opportunity to try the BETA. I just wanted to give my honest opinion and I hope I did so in a fairly respectful manner without the immature ranting and profanity that seems so prevalent elsewhere. I'm sure that Bungie knew these changes would not go over well with at least some of the fans and that was a choice they made. I'm still excited for the campaign aspect (and to see what Bungie does with it), I'm just not onboard with the upheaval in the gameplay and continuity issues. There is no "right" or "wrong" opinion - everyone gets one and that just happens to mine at the moment...

Who knows - maybe Bungie will make some real changes or it will grow on me as is. I certainly hope so!

DogWizard said:
@ Sean

Ouch! I hope that most of that was generic commentary and not directed at me specifically... :unsure

Sorry! You have it right, only that first sentence was for you.. the rest is just general commentary. Where I say 'To all' was where I just wanted to comment on Reach criticism, and it's not directed just at the thread here.. just general criticism I've seen from the gamer community around the net.

My bad :eek Sorry!

23Magnum said:
I love it all...except the jet packs. Boycott the jet packs! :p

Seriously though it's all pretty well balanced and fun apart from a few tweaks they could give a few weapons and equipment, but that's what the beta is here for in the first place. :)

Official Status: Excited for Halo: Reach Release.

What's wrong with the jetpacks?

I just wish the radar was the way it was in the early alpha build screenshots.

With the dots that completely raise off the "disk". It'd make jetpack combat much better.

DogWizard said:

While I agree on some of your other points, I have to point out that in Halo, we're used to Marine and Navy weaponry and equipment. In Reach, the materiel is all Army (As stated on Bungie.net), since you're working in the Army, instead of the Marines. In real life, Marines and Army soldiers use different equipment, especially in specialty (I don't think it gets more specialized than Spartan), and so do UNSC troops. Besides, as you said, the weapons are variants on other weapons. The DMR is a BR-55 with a different mechanism and a larger bore, the MA-37 is the Army variant of the MA-5, and that's pretty much every new human weapon we've seen relatives to in the past. Grenade Launchers are kinda frowned upon on ships, I'd assume, and Splasers are expensive and rare, so they could exist prior to 3, but not be used until then. Covenant weapons can never be taken for granted, because of the sheer expanse of their armada, and the differences we see between the 3 existing games, anyway.

Same goes for equip. I mean, Mk.V was around a year before Master Chief donned it, and again, some equipment is too expensive to mass-produce for many Spartans. I mean, Noble Team is the only canon excuse (Because Multiplayer isn't canon, obviously) for that, and they're a 6-MAN ARMY team versus a 33-man Navy team.

All I'm saying is you shouldn't complain about continuity when all you've played is a MULTIPLAYER BETA. When the FINAL CAMPAIGN is played, we can discuss this issue.

I like every thing besides the chosing of the game tybes. I always liked when you could chose which game tybe you want and then it finds other players who are playing it. In Halo Reach you have to vote on game tybes. Besides that I like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back