District 9 Determins Halo Movie's Fate

Status
Not open for further replies.
xalener said:
Why? Just because he's never done anything like it before, doesn't mean he SHOULDN'T do it. All of his previous movies have been great, and his "bad" movies are still better than some's best.

Even if it's not faithful, it will still be good on it's own guranteed.

I will not say that he isn't creative and has an interesting take and style on what he presents on screen. He's a very interesting director, even if I don't like many of the films he has directed - I did not really enjoy either of the Hellboy movies, nor Blade II, though Pan's Labyrinth I did think was a very interesting watch.

Personally, I honestly do not think that his art direction styling, and his method of dealing with action, would be well suited to a property such as Halo, especially when we've seen what can already be done. It may well be serviceable, but in all likelihood, I would probably hate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you actually think about it Guillermo would be perfect for some of the flood creations in making them creepy and gruesome.

SPARTAN-089 said:
If you actually think about it Guillermo would be perfect for some of the flood creations in making them creepy and gruesome.

My gripe would be that you don't need del Toro to make them look gross - it's a given they are gross. The issue is how they are integrated, when the focus of the story is for the most part *not* the Flood. I do not want a del Toro inspired Halo, and even if it was not revisualised, there are plenty of directors who I would much rather see helming it. Paul Greengrass, Peter Berg, even Danny Boyle would be a more positive choice in my eyes. I love Danny Boyle, don't think he would be suited to Halo, but I would still rather see him over del Toro.

Peter Cooper said:
My gripe would be that you don't need del Toro to make them look gross - it's a given they are gross. The issue is how they are integrated, when the focus of the story is for the most part *not* the Flood. I do not want a del Toro inspired Halo, and even if it was not revisualised, there are plenty of directors who I would much rather see helming it. Paul Greengrass, Peter Berg, even Danny Boyle would be a more positive choice in my eyes. I love Danny Boyle, don't think he would be suited to Halo, but I would still rather see him over del Toro.

But still with Del Toro he would use less CGI which from classic horror movies such as the thing make it even better. While CGI you don't get that sense of fear since you have the idea that its just CGI. While the animated robots with the added skin and blood are just horrifying in a good way.

SPARTAN-089 said:
But still with Del Toro he would use less CGI which from classic horror movies such as the thing make it even better. While CGI you don't get that sense of fear since you have the idea that its just CGI. While the animated robots with the added skin and blood are just horrifying in a good way.

Tell me that after you've seen District 9 - the CGI is amazing, and even the alien in the interview room is CGI.

I am pretty sure almost anyone would use practical effects for a lot of the flood stuff, especially the sets. I wholeheartedly agree that practical effects for the Flood would be for the best - Doom is the perfect example of how good the suits would look - but saying "del Toro ftw" just because he would use them is bad reasoning. Even Uwe Boll uses monster suits.

Peter Cooper said:
I am pretty sure the last thing I would ever want to see is Guillermo del Toro's "Halo".

HA, yes, i'd have to agree on that one! Anyway, district 9 is gonna rock! I just really wish they had decided to make the Halo movie instead

Well it probably doesn't have any real direct relation to weather or not the Halo movie even gets made, but District 9 is the only movie I've actually wanted to see in a long time. If it helps so be it, if it doesn't whatever.

Peter Cooper said:
Tell me that after you've seen District 9 - the CGI is amazing, and even the alien in the interview room is CGI.

I am pretty sure almost anyone would use practical effects for a lot of the flood stuff, especially the sets. I wholeheartedly agree that practical effects for the Flood would be for the best - Doom is the perfect example of how good the suits would look - but saying "del Toro ftw" just because he would use them is bad reasoning. Even Uwe Boll uses monster suits.

Did you just compare Del Toro to Uwe Boll?

Anyone that makes the leap in their mind that Del Toro is only good because he uses practical effects is just cheating themselves out of good film experiences.

Watching District 9 did make me wish for the Halo movie from them though. Bomkamp/Jackson/WETA definitely would've nailed the nitty gritty combat feel like they did in the Landfall shorts.

Yes. The disappointment I felt after walking out of the theatre when D9 finished didn't come from he film's quality (it was awesome)it came from the fact that they could've given us something beautiful.

Oh well, at least now he isn't stuck making adaptations (something that usually happens when a director's first movie is based off of something)

xalener said:

Tying in with a previous comment about del Toro being the best choice because he uses monster suits and not CG. I was trying to emphasise that using practical effects is not that big a deal, and that even Uwe Boll does that. There are many other criteria that should be considered.

He is saying that if you want FX above CGI, you need some good support that theory. Saying you want guys in suite just because del Toro did it is just stupid. Peter is saying that even bad directors (uwe Bolle) chooses suites so its isn't a valet argument to use.

The reason im agains the use of compleet CGI is the fact that CGI ages really fast, look at SW: Attack of the clones. The CGI in those movies where really good at that time, but its horrible now. If you watch "old" movies like Alien or SW you will see that those are still pretty to look at. Why? Because most of the effect where real. If you watch LOTR its still good, why? Because most of the stuff was real in those movies.

Thats why im voting 75%FX 25%CGI.

That and the fact that Del Toro emphisizes character interaction and plot, and does it well. Something I KNOW Beattie's never even attempted before.

falcon NL said:
He is saying that if you want FX above CGI, you need some good support that theory. Saying you want guys in suite just because del Toro did it is just stupid. Peter is saying that even bad directors (uwe Bolle) chooses suites so its isn't a valet argument to use.

The reason im agains the use of compleet CGI is the fact that CGI ages really fast, look at SW: Attack of the clones. The CGI in those movies where really good at that time, but its horrible now. If you watch "old" movies like Alien or SW you will see that those are still pretty to look at. Why? Because most of the effect where real. If you watch LOTR its still good, why? Because most of the stuff was real in those movies.

Thats why im voting 75%FX 25%CGI.

Because nowadays its easier to make most of the movie with CGI effects, I agree that 'Star Wars' an 'Alien' are still great films to watch over the newer ones. And LOTR were great movies...on the big screen, but watching it at home on your tv, it lost everything, a movie can so easily be killed off with CGI.

So maybe their cant be just one director to do a Halo movie, theres prob going to have to be 2, with an even balance of both suits & CGI.

Peter Jackson and Neil Blomkamp.

Seriously, I can wait for 2012 for pre production to start.By that time, I might even be old enough to WORK on the movie.

I don't believe it will look very believable if they only use suits or CGI. I agree that there has to be a balance of both suits & CGI. It will be very interesting to see how well they bring the characters to the big screen.

They'll probably do it the way all the movie noobs want them to.

"LOL MOAR CG LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLZ!!!!11"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back