Djronic's Halo: Reach EOD helm/full suit - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djronic Kavinor

Djronic's Halo: Reach EOD helm/full suit - WIP

Greetings to all in the 405th!

PsHWilliam043 got me interested in this site a few months ago and after much research and helpful advice from him, i've started building a Reach suit for myself. My goal is to have it look as close as possible to my current character in the Reach armory, with perhaps a few improvements. Anyways, this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, so any advice would be much appreciated :)

Now for the pics!

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Helm fits a bit loose, but that should work out perfect what with the padding and strapping that still needs to go in it.

Progress

Got the finishing touches done after the smoothcasting (lots of filing and chiseling the little bits of smoothcast that leaked through some seams) and got a good base coat on the helm :)

Here be some pics!

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

I am gonna need to make the lower rebreather attachment myself, as the ones in the original pep file were far too large and didn't attach well : / Thinkin carved outta wood perhaps...

Loving this man, i always liked the EOD helmet, and youve done a fantastic job pepping this. Aso, i wish they let you do just flat black in-game =P

Oh, and welcome to the 405th

Nice helm, the EOD without them funky side thingy-doodles looks really cool.

I'm very intruiged with this whole Pepakura/Smoothon revolution... do you have any plans for smoothing?

I absolutely love your pep job on the face though; it's very angular and symmetrical. Kind of looks like Mass Effect :D

Keep up the good work mate!

Thanks for the welcome ^_^ And i'm surprised myself that it turned out as well as it did. Think it has somethin to do with the rockin mini metal ruler I used on all the cuts and folds. I do indeed miss the flat black color from Halo 1 : / I suppose the upside is that in greyish-black the battle damage details will stand out a bit more.

As for smoothing Liam, I just looked at the in game model and it looks like all i'll need to smooth is the top o the helm, everything else seems to be pretty angular on the sides. And I spose i'll pick up some bondo next paycheck and take care of that. Then it'll be on to the full paint job :)

Lookin good man! Glad to see you finally made an account on here! lol.

I've seen this helm in person guys, it looks pretty freakin sweet. And its tough! You should show them a pic of the inside! Its almost as heavy as your combat helm isn't it?

It's ruff, tuff and has all the right stuff

Since ya requested PsH, here be pictoral proof of its durability. Last I checked I weighed in at 205 lbs. Its not a squishin :p

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

It actually weighs in just a tad bit heavier than my kevlar helm. The last 2 pics is an example of the visor color i'm lookin to get for this. Wish I could just use these sunglass lenses, but unfortunately thay're a good half inch short on each side : /

Holy freakin crap dude! You can stand on it! lol. I seriously doubt most of us could do that without it breaking. I might need to add a little bit more to mine to increase its durability :p That's awesome though.

And it sucks about your lenses, barely too small. I bet you can find a pretty cheap lens on Amazon though, I got mine for like $20.

WOW!!!!! great job on the helmet man, that looks awesome!!!! nice great clean fast pep and stuff like that, great job man :D :O

Indeed, its pretty much solid. After the pics I tried gettin it to bend by squishin the sides between my arms as hard as I could. Notta. Did a good deal of snooping on amazon and found some good deals but it just kind of bugged me not bein able to see the colors reflected with my own eyes. Most of the red/orange visors i've seen online come off as lookin a little pink. So I think i'll go check out some actual motorcycle shops and see what I can come up with. Course i'm getting a bit ahead of myself, still needa bondo and paint this thing first :)

Looking sweet! If you don't mind me asking, how many layers of SmoothOn did you apply? And what else, if anything, did you use along with the SmoothOn?

Thanks guys, glad everybody thinks it turned out well ^_^ I put one coating layer of smoothcast on everything, then held it in the shape i wanted till it dried(the lower jaw was just a smidge diagonal so I held it in the proper level angle before the smoothcast hardened) Once the initial coat was on i basically reinforced nearly the entire helmet by pouring a good deal in and letting it harden in a puddle at the exact angle so as to fill major stress points. Basically the entire helmet base, top rim, and lower jaw. In conclusion, just 2 coats, but the second coat was up to 3/4 of an inch thick in some areas. Smoothcast is all i've used so far, just pepped it then smoothcasted the inside :)

Awesome stuff dude! I think you have convinced me to make the reach eod in place of my old one (helm is too small).
By the way, how much did that SmoothOn cost you?

Thanks! And i'm not entirely sure how much it was, as me and PsH are sharing materials and he is the one who ordered it. Doin a quick google search revealed about 25 bucks, but that was for smaller bottles. The ones i'm using are 14some pounds in total, so probably cost a bit more. PsH, care to share a link to wherever ya ordered it from? And I think you'll like the reach EOD. Size should fit ya much better that the halo 3 one ya have. Best o luck makin it, I eagerly await seein how yours turns out :) O and as I said earlier in the post, beware the rebreather units on the jawline. You might as well not bother taking the time to pep them, as they're huge and dont really fit : / Just hafta do the best we can custom makin em.

Alright guys, here is the link to the EOD Helm thread: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29597-Reach-EOD
It was made by Ironium Costuming. In his pics, the rebreather things don't look too bad, but I know on yours they looked HUGE in person lol.

And as for where I get my Smooth Cast, I normally order from: http://www.reynoldsam.com/ just because they have a shipping location closer than the official Smooth On website: http://www.smooth-on.com/
So its a little cheaper on shipping expenses and I get it a day or two sooner that way. The actual prices on the product is normally exactly the same, But I've noticed it vary by a few cents to a dollar before. But when you save $10 or so on shipping, its still worth it :p

Also, I ordered the gallon size jug of Smooth Cast 300 for about $80 if I remember correctly. I'll post an exact link real quick... Okay: http://www.reynoldsam.com/Urethane-...id-Plastic/c5_1120_1209/index.html?catdepth=1
Should be the second one down for like $81.76, The first one, the trial size is a really small bottle. You get about 8 times as much in the gallon kit for about 3 times the price. So it really is worth it to get that. But if you are only going to make one item, like one helmet and NOTHING else, then the trial kit might be just enough for you. I think it has about enough in it for a single helmet.

Hope that helps you guys :) Djronic, my wife, and I are a team, we've been working on our stuff sharing materials, ideas, and tips. So far we're making pretty good progress.

Thanks! And i'm not entirely sure how much it was, as me and PsH are sharing materials and he is the one who ordered it. Doin a quick google search revealed about 25 bucks, but that was for smaller bottles. The ones i'm using are 14some pounds in total, so probably cost a bit more. PsH, care to share a link to wherever ya ordered it from? And I think you'll like the reach EOD. Size should fit ya much better that the halo 3 one ya have. Best o luck makin it, I eagerly await seein how yours turns out :) O and as I said earlier in the post, beware the rebreather units on the jawline. You might as well not bother taking the time to pep them, as they're huge and dont really fit : / Just hafta do the best we can custom makin em.

ha, I removed one of those on the old h3 eod I made. Its too bad it doesn't fit, I have to sell it now, but I'm looking forwards to the reach helm!

ha, I removed one of those on the old h3 eod I made. Its too bad it doesn't fit, I have to sell it now, but I'm looking forwards to the reach helm!
I posted a link to the Reach helm in my post right before yours :) Hope that helps! That's the file I found for Djronic, we're a team lol and I'm helping him scale his stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back