Does Anyone Share This Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really looking forward to ODST. THe storylne (or the executin of it) is a big departure from the Halo series and really goes against the rules of average FPS storylines.

Also, ODST is STILL an expansion. The graphics are only better because the bungie artists are more used to working with the engine then when they were dong Halo 3. As for the changed gameplay style/ weapons.... well, It's called an EXPANSION for a reason.

During the E309 release of Firefight (I believe) it was stated that ODST is more of a full game, with a campaign length closer to that of Halo 3. I've also never seen an expansion that updates the graphics (it's really seen on character models with their face. They look more alive than in Halo 3.)

Well it's a technical Expansion, however it does have more features that point towards a full game...

Let's call it an Expansion in name only. :D

Spartan-419 said:
During the E309 release of Firefight (I believe) it was stated that ODST is more of a full game, with a campaign length closer to that of Halo 3. I've also never seen an expansion that updates the graphics (it's really seen on character models with their face. They look more alive than in Halo 3.)

They only look more lively now because the bungie art team no loge fails with the engine. They were just learning the new engine updates when they were making Halo 3, so they had no practice and were noobs basically. In ODST they had more practice with the Halo 3 engine. There are only 2 graphical features added to the graphics engine. One is full sreen shaders (VISR mode) and the other is a special type of parallax mapping (used for background buildings)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's more than that. The faces look more "life-like," the guns have added animations (swinging "tripod" on the SRS), character and environments look more completed, and the character animations look more fluid. The lip syncing also seems more "on-par", with the models' lips following dialogue closer.

The Halo storyline is what makes the franchise great, I'm proof of that. I have never owned a game or console in my life. I'm a huge Halo fan because I played H2 at a friends house once, and was immediately engrossed. From there, I read the novels, to really delve into the great backstory, and those only heightened my interest. The Halo novels blow other space marine books, like Starfist, clear out of the water. The Halo story is good enough to capture people outside the gaming world, and I'd like you to tell me what other game can do that?

Spartan-419 said:
It's more than that. The faces look more "life-like," the guns have added animations (swinging "tripod" on the SRS), character and environments look more completed, and the character animations look more fluid. The lip syncing also seems more "on-par", with the models' lips following dialogue closer.

That's not an engine change though.

The artists just got better.

PS: Ain't no flame war here. Just a dude displaying troll-esque behavior accidentally.

xalener said:
That's not an engine change though.

The artists just got better.

PS: Ain't no flame war here. Just a dude displaying troll-esque behavior accidentally.

Well, there is the inability to

1) Fall large distances

2) Hijack vehicles

3) Run and jump at the same speed/height

4) Enjoy the benefit of a regenerating shield/automatic Medgel dispensers.

Not to mention that Joseph Staten himself said that it's no longer an expansion, but more of a separate campaign and multiplayer style with the same name.

And I know it's not a flame war, I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm just stating what I know and believe to be true.

Spartan-419 said:

1) Fall large distances

2) Hijack vehicles

These are EXTREMELY simple tag changes to the biped and global tags that anyone with a Development Kit can change in about 3 minutes, just like how you can make yourself immune to falling and change your speed on Halo PC.

Also, of course Bungie is going to say that it's more like a full game if they're trying to sell a product, what do you expect? If he said it was less of a full game than an expansion, they'd ultimately get less sales, which is bad for the developers since they get few of the actual profits.

You're talking about ODST right?

You CAN Highjack vehicles, Done it several times.

Your speed is no different. The jumping distance is almost the same, if not, its an un-noticeable difference.

Shields (Stamina in this case) DO recharge. And there are health packs EVERYWHERE to revive your base health.

The chances of enemies even getting through your shields (Stamina) is unlikely anyway.

The Stig said:
You're talking about ODST right?

You CAN Highjack vehicles, Done it several times.

Your speed is no different. The jumping distance is almost the same, if not, its an un-noticeable difference.

Shields (Stamina in this case) DO recharge. And there are health packs EVERYWHERE to revive your base health.

The chances of enemies even getting through your shields (Stamina) is unlikely anyway.

I was under the impression that you just jump on the vehicle and either punch the rider off or throw a grenade on it. I could be wrong.

I know the stamina recharges, but it's not the same as a shield, is it? As for the health, there's still the need for MedGel.

I'm also not pointing fingers, but what difficulty was it on? I have a feeling Heroic will be significantly different.

Either way, think what you will. I don't see it as an expansion, some do. It's all good, and I'm sure it'll kick ass.

From what I heard, the no hijacking thing only applies to firefight, where stealing a wraith would make things far too easy.

Spartan-419 said:

1) Fall large distances

2) Hijack vehicles

Not to mention that Joseph Staten himself said that it's no longer an expansion, but more of a separate campaign and multiplayer style with the same name.

And I know it's not a flame war, I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm just stating what I know and believe to be true.

Don't worry. I wasn't talking about you. Was talkin bout the OP.

ACDCrockr209 said:
Alot of Halo fans would love a Horde style gameplay in the Halo series.

Besides, who wouldn't want to kill wave after wave of Covenant scum with some friends.

-Pony

Hells yeah, bro. Can't wait to make monkey stew out of a ton of brutes with my buds.

I just played Halo 3 for the first time, and it is officially my favorite game ever! Not only was it my first time with playing any Halo game, I've never touched an XBox 360 before, nor have I played an FPS game. Last Saturday was a day of firsts. I loved the game so much, I'm going to buy a used XBox and Halo 1 & 2 (and some other games, but who cares?) from one of my friends as soon as possible. XD

The Flood are sooooo creepy!!!!

Geeky Chick said:
I just played Halo 3 for the first time, and it is officially my favorite game ever! Not only was it my first time with playing any Halo game, I've never touched an XBox 360 before, nor have I played an FPS game. Last Saturday was a day of firsts. I loved the game so much, I'm going to buy a used XBox and Halo 1 & 2 (and some other games, but who cares?) from one of my friends as soon as possible. XD

The Flood are sooooo creepy!!!!

If you call the Flood creepy, I'm glad you didn't play Dead Space

ImaGonnaGetYou said:

Dead Space is probably one of the best, if not the best title for the 360 in my opinion :D

Overlord_Ian said:
Dead Space is probably one of the best, if not the best title for the 360 in my opinion :D

Better than Gears, on par with Halo and CoD, I'd say.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:

If you call Dead Space creepy, I'm glad you didn't play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back