[Done] Gixxer's Mc Mkvi

Status
Not open for further replies.
because i got alot of those sound proofing stuff and my budget getting thinner with my bike keep breaking down .. :rolleyes ...i dont think i gonna use it for the helmet tho .. other pieces is okay .. helmet might be too hot ..

anway .. yesterday update .. not much happens but almost all pieces already FG'ed ....just need to trim .. trim and trim again before bondo at the outside ..

th_DSCF1401.jpg th_DSCF1402.jpg th_DSCF1424.jpg th_DSCF1431.jpg

Ah. Well, from my standpoint, so long as the outside coats of resin are rigid enough to keep it in shape it should be fine.

All I can say is to be careful with it and try to not put any of the pieces through any impact-driven stress test and whatnot. So long as you're careful, it should be good to go. The outside resin (as far as I'm concerned) is partially to give the object some rigidity, but it's mainly a pre-shaping method to keep it lined up for the true hardening which is the interior application of rondo, plastics or fiberglass products. That's where the helmet gets its impact resistance.

Good luck to you. Looks great so far!

owh .. all the pieces have 1 layer of FG inside except for helmet and armour (2 layes) ..its solid as a rock ..the rondo only for make it smoother on the insides right ? thats why i thought of using the sound proofing mat. easier to apply and more comfortable i guess .

The general methodology is to apply 2 or 3 coats of resin on the outside to get the cardstock nice and rigid and roughly shaped. Then you go into the interior and apply a coat of fiberglass resin with mat/cloth for structural reinforcement or rondo. As far as I can tell, adding fiberglass cloth or mat to the rondo will help reinforce it, but it's pretty darn solid stuff by itself. I mudglassed a WETA helmet and I could drop an anvil on it and it'd survive. But then again, I had fiberglass cloth in there with it. I cannot honestly speak from true experience if straight rondo is just as stable as cloth reinforced rondo. I can only assume.

From what I can tell, rondo on the inside is easier than applying fiberglass cloth/mat and when you go to sand, you can actually sand through the pep down into the inner coat of rondo so it makes shaping much easier. I know that if you have fiberglass mat or cloth in the rondo (or in your fiberglass resin interior if you go that route) and sand into the cloth/mat, it can leave nasty frayed edges that you'll have to deal with.

But you are right, rondo tends to end up being much more smooth on the inside than fiber glassing.

Amen to the above. The fiberglass matting is not that smooth, it comes up in some paces and is very difficult to sand. Rondo or Smoothcast 300 is a lot better for the inside.

20th Nov 09 : Im still waiting for my dremal to arrive. its been a week since i ordered it. Today, its exactly 30 days to the event ! ARRGHHH PANIC PANIC !!

Gixxer said:
2. how do you guys sit down with the armor on ? wont you be sitting on the butt plate ? do i need to add more layers to that particular piece ?

Make the butt plate out of foam? I can't remember what foam exactly, but I saw it on another thread. This part isnt especially detailed and as long as you put lots of shiny stuff on your helmet etc, people wont be looking at your behind :)

Stranky

Last edited by a moderator:
iSUPERNOOB said:
where is it shipping from?

locally. just 6 hours drive away. my country courier service is damn slow. i keep wondering why the heck i still living in this dump .. :lol

Demolition said:
looking good mate keep it up

TQ

Strankyman said:
Make the butt plate out of foam? I can't remember what foam exactly, but I saw it on another thread. This part isnt especially detailed and as long as you put lots of shiny stuff on your helmet etc, people wont be looking at your behind :)

good point . but what kind of foam ? another thread huh .. i will look into it .. thanks for the tip

well. i rondo the outsides not the inside .. yes yes i know. i should rondo the insides . i figured what the heck maybe a thin layer wont hurt. Well since this is the first time i done this, i screwed up the thickness and the chest plate, helmet received a nice THICK coat of rondo . This means hours hours and hours of sanding by hand . because i dont hv a sander. Painted it black so i can see where the uneven and small holes are located.

Clock is ticking .. 18th december is my dateline .. pressure is getting me ..

[attachment=13750:pB264243.jpg]

[attachment=13751:pB264248.jpg]

for the butt i would use either the hot glue method with no resin on it, instead use truck bed liner. or make it out of craft foam. i made an odst but pad using the hot glue method and it flexed instead of cracking. BTW what low def chest file are you using?

I've never really made one but i would think it's similar to how Pete mander made his elite armor, similar foam at least. if you go to the armor related videos theres a thread about it with a video of how he made it. this would be your best bet on how to learn about it.

Looking great! DOn't worry about the time, My first attempt I took 60 days to build two costumes only to have my son change his mind 45 days into the build so I have to really make three costumes in 60 days. Take your time and work on the important visual areas like the Helmet and the Chest. and if it's not perfect you can always paint it with some distressing paint techniques and tell people you meant for it to look this way... That's what I did! :)

this is a very good first attempt, by the way, what is with the orange and black coloring, it looks soooo cool!

flaming lava spartan :lol

chwbcc said:
Looking great! DOn't worry about the time, My first attempt I took 60 days to build two costumes only to have my son change his mind 45 days into the build so I have to really make three costumes in 60 days. Take your time and work on the important visual areas like the Helmet and the Chest. and if it's not perfect you can always paint it with some distressing paint techniques and tell people you meant for it to look this way... That's what I did! :)

well first of all, i dont have much tools and i dont hv experience working with fiberglass and bondo. I did mess up alot of stuff in the process. Having a tight deadline (2 month) make it worst and im not a very patience guy .. LOL

distressing paint techniques .. i google for it.. and it is the one you do to furniture to make it old ?

Akademee said:
this is a very good first attempt, by the way, what is with the orange and black coloring, it looks soooo cool!

flaming lava spartan :lol

TQ. haha .. the orange is actually the putty color and im running out of black at that moment . LOL ... im gonna paint it dark blue with black and silver wethering ..maybe some scars or unperfection for battle damage look ..

Anyway, here's today updates...its a holiday today and plenty of free food around my neighbours houses. i only have the time or should i say 'wanted to do more but getting lazy after the helm' for the day .. LOL

[attachment=13762:pB274257.jpg]

[attachment=13763:pB274262.jpg]

[attachment=13764:pB274265.jpg]

thanks .. was expecting a darker blue but since i already bought 10 cans of it . what the heck .. blue is still blue ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back