Dracks MK VI Pep Helmet to Clay Sculpt

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow drack just wow. im kinda sadened to see yo not doing more foam after you finish with the foam stuff you are going to finish, but this pep looks great! im subbed. Cant wait to see more :)

wow drack just wow. im kinda sadened to see yo not doing more foam after you finish with the foam stuff you are going to finish, but this pep looks great! im subbed. Cant wait to see more :)

Well all good things must come to an end. I just started doing the other boot for my master chief suit and I have gone right off foam now, but it must be done!

Looking great Drack!

Thank you man :)

So I guess this needs to be re-updated due to the loss of new posts. As some of you might not be aware I wanted to give sculpting a go and seeing as I had a peped helmet just sat there and couldn't be bothered with all the sanding I thought why not just slap some clay on it. Its on hold for the moment because I need to get some cash together to put a visor in before I mould it so I know it will fit in perfect. Here is where I am at so far (minus the clay visor now as I removed it ready for the motorcycle visor to go in).

Its an oil based clay so once its all done I will smooth it out with some spirits.

_DSC6745_zps857ede6f.jpg

_DSC6747_zps382ec63b.jpg

_DSC6746_zps1c529633.jpg

_DSC6749_zps319b765d.jpg

So I guess this needs to be re-updated due to the loss of new posts. As some of you might not be aware I wanted to give sculpting a go and seeing as I had a peped helmet just sat there and couldn't be bothered with all the sanding I thought why not just slap some clay on it. Its on hold for the moment because I need to get some cash together to put a visor in before I mould it so I know it will fit in perfect. Here is where I am at so far (minus the clay visor now as I removed it ready for the motorcycle visor to go in).

Its an oil based clay so once its all done I will smooth it out with some spirits.

_DSC6745_zps857ede6f.jpg

QUOTE]

So let me get this straight, you just slapped some oil based clay over the pepped helmet to do the details rather than bondo? dude thats genius! lol
It looks fantastic :)

I love your work, I hope one day to reach this level,

That is some excellent clay-sculpting right there!

It's beautiful!!!

Cheers guys glad you like it :)
Sandbagger I must say I was surprised I got a comment here and not on the finished Ironman helmet, hint hint :p

So let me get this straight, you just slapped some oil based clay over the pepped helmet to do the details rather than bondo? dude thats genius! lol
It looks fantastic :)

Yep that simple, well I say simple but it wasn't as easy as just that :)
The pep acted as a basic shape to save me working it all out and saved on buying loads of clay because I went for the really expensive stuff!

Definitly like the look of this! Wish i was this good! Hopefully one day!

Thank you man and you know what, I remember when I first started out I used to look at the top builders and think the same so we all have to start some where. With a little patience and a lot of reading it is possible :)

Completely amazing! I saw this over at therpf and was completely floored. Glad you posted it over here, as well. Is that gray primer over the clay? I was thinking of going this route myself. All told, how much clay do you think you used over the pep? Two pounds? Three?

Most excellent, +1 sub. So far as the clay itself; you mentioned it was "the expensive stuff" but can you define that please? Looking to do the same method with my Raptor helm, the process you got going is ace.

Completely amazing! I saw this over at therpf and was completely floored. Glad you posted it over here, as well. Is that gray primer over the clay? I was thinking of going this route myself. All told, how much clay do you think you used over the pep? Two pounds? Three?

Cheers man. There is no Primer on the clay as it's an oil based clay so once the mould is made its reusable. I used around 3.5 pounds I think. Its hard to work out as I used a load on filling the face plate to my Ironman helmet for moulding.

Most excellent, +1 sub. So far as the clay itself; you mentioned it was "the expensive stuff" but can you define that please? Looking to do the same method with my Raptor helm, the process you got going is ace.

Hmm I cant really define why it's the expensive stuff but the site I bought it from had a few options and the clay I got was 5 times as expensive as wed clay. As it was a birthday present and my first go at sculpting I thought spare no expense :)

The advantage I found of this over bondo is no sanding (ofc), no toxins so can be done in the house and if a bit isn't quite right its easy to changed it. The only down side is that due to it never drying you have to be really careful not to mark the clay but if you do its easy enough to put it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back