Dracks MK VI Pep Helmet to Clay Sculpt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the helmet all sanded. Hit it with red primer cause not only was it all I had left its good for showing any imperfections. Because this will be my helmet I couldnt be bothered sorting the last tiny bits so will be fitting lights painting it up tonight :)

IMG_2711_zpsfc96410a.jpg

IMG_2712_zpsc960b0c4.jpg

IMG_2713_zps325ef3a3.jpg

IMG_2714_zpsaa8c9f93.jpg

Looks great. It's nice to see a update on this project. I don't know how you do it with so many different projects going at the same time.

Do you have any advice that you might want to share for anyone who wants to use this method? For instance, did you apply the clay and do the initial smoothing in the same way you spread body filler onto a model? What tools did you find yourself using the most during the sculpting process?

I am currently doing something similar to this in my build (haven't gotten all the pics I want so I haven't started my thread yet) and any advice you have would be great. Also, the helmet looks great. I'm looking forward to the next update.

Wow drack looks great man, cant wait to see it finished

Thank you man. I can't either but its on holdish at the moment while I get Brandon McClains ready and then need to finish another secret project I am working on :)

Looks great. It's nice to see a update on this project. I don't know how you do it with so many different projects going at the same time.

Lol Thorn I don't either. It's getting tricky now cause I have another thing I am working on but because of the helmet its going slowly.

Do you have any advice that you might want to share for anyone who wants to use this method? For instance, did you apply the clay and do the initial smoothing in the same way you spread body filler onto a model? What tools did you find yourself using the most during the sculpting process?

I am currently doing something similar to this in my build (haven't gotten all the pics I want so I haven't started my thread yet) and any advice you have would be great. Also, the helmet looks great. I'm looking forward to the next update.

Hey SirPalesAlot. The clay application isn't like bondo because bondo is runny and applied with a trowel of sorts and the clay is a more solid material. I just rolled it out to 3-4mm and then cut sections out to apply to the peped helmet. Of course it wasn't that simple for all of it but can't really explain every last part of the process. I would say just go for it and you will find how to approach each part as you do it. The tools I favoured are the ones that I felt more comfortable with and would assume that it's all personal preference. I bought most of the tools I could find then as I worked more on the helmet found that I had my main tool and a pot full of the ones I used for certain detailing, straight line making, flattening, etc. Here are links to all the tools I bought but I think you will find the tools that suit you best as you do your piece.

http://www.homecrafts.co.uk/buy-modelling-and-carving-tools-m160ai/?gclid=CNnjkZKJ17kCFZMPtAod4AoALA These are the ones I used the most because I used quite a hard clay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-OF-...mic_PotteryMaking_SM&var=&hash=item27d73cd5e8 I bought most of these (well Birthday present). I must admit I didn't use many of these, the hoop tools where nice and handy though for smoothing the clay in awkward areas to reach.

For smoothing the clay I used the rake tool, smoothed with one of the metal tools then used a fine sponge and mineral sprits. The spirits break down the oils in the clay making it easy to smooth out. Once the spirits completely evaporate off the clay goes back to normal. It does take a good 12 hours to go back to its original consistency but a matter of minutes till you can work with it again. You will see what I mean when you try it.

For any one reading this I would like to say that this was the first time I had tried sculpting so any info is purely gathered from my experience. It's a great way to make your armour and is the way its been done for many years in the film industry and I can see now why the bondo/filler method wasn't as widely used in the industry. The only part I found tricky was moulding a clay that doesn't dry and keeping it safe while working on it. Other than that its much better than all that sanding and stinky materials. I guess that soon all movie props will be 3D printed seeing as printers are improving in quality and cost now. It will be a shame to see this method die out but I guess we have to move with the times. I too have had something 3D printed which will I will be posting up soon :)

yeah, the cast result is really great. how much did you spend on the mold materials? inclusive the coasts for one casting. i just want to know ^^

Far be it from me to argue with Drack, and he's actually totally right about clay and molding to be the preferred method for movie special FX stuff... Only, in the recent years many big studios have expanded to include the digital world, they have 3D printers and even more advanced rapid prototyping systems, and instead of taking body casts they're scanning the actors and sculpt the costumes in Zbrush. No physical materials and the undo ability are very powerful tools - on the one hand they afford much quicker iterations, and on the other hand they help to keep costs down, at least if you have some way to print or rapid prototype your stuff.

Anyway, the point is that these techniques will find their way to the larger public eventually. Autodesk already offers their 123D tools and 3D printers are getting cheaper every day. Even if you can't afford them, there's the Fab Lab movement which basically means public workshops equipped with 3D printers laser cutters etc. that you can use at a small fee, so all this stuff will be affordable in the near future.

On the other hand, sculpting clay with your hands, in the real world, is amazing stuff. Especially for the computer guy I am ;)

yeah, the cast result is really great. how much did you spend on the mold materials? inclusive the coasts for one casting. i just want to know ^^

I am not sure what you would learn from me telling you how much it cost me for this project as prices vary so much for different countries and suppliers. I can tell you how much I used of each material if you're wondering what it would cost for you to do yourself a helmet using this method.

Lots of Tools
Card
Resin and filler for rondo
2kg of oil based clay
1kg of water based clay (mould divider)
5kg of silicon
1kg of smooth-on 65d

Far be it from me to argue with Drack, and he's actually totally right about clay and molding to be the preferred method for movie special FX stuff... Only, in the recent years many big studios have expanded to include the digital world, they have 3D printers and even more advanced rapid prototyping systems, and instead of taking body casts they're scanning the actors and sculpt the costumes in Zbrush. No physical materials and the undo ability are very powerful tools - on the one hand they afford much quicker iterations, and on the other hand they help to keep costs down, at least if you have some way to print or rapid prototype your stuff.

Anyway, the point is that these techniques will find their way to the larger public eventually. Autodesk already offers their 123D tools and 3D printers are getting cheaper every day. Even if you can't afford them, there's the Fab Lab movement which basically means public workshops equipped with 3D printers laser cutters etc. that you can use at a small fee, so all this stuff will be affordable in the near future.

On the other hand, sculpting clay with your hands, in the real world, is amazing stuff. Especially for the computer guy I am ;)

Yeah you're so right Vargatom. I one day hope to own a 3D printer as I am not a stranger to 3D modelling as you will see from my new project. I will never shy away from sculpting though as I enjoyed it more than any of the practices I have tried. If I can get my photography business where I want it I hope to embark on quite a large and very expensive project that I hope will be as awe inspiring as Davids Didact build but we will see, we can only dream :)

Thought I'd update you all on how the helmet is coming on. I haven't had a lot of time to get work done on it because I am quiet busy at the moment but managed to find a night to get some paint on. It still needs a lot of work and I making my temporary visor too (which I filmed so will do a thread for that) till I can build my vac machine for the proper one. I popped a visor I had laying around in to show you what it kinda look like.

IMG_2749_zps9c78c2e4.jpg

Looks awesome.

Cheers Thorn. Hopefully I can get the rest of my paint done and the visor in this week so might have to do a fully suited pic with the hammer :)

This level of work in such a short time just astounds me, very well done!

Thank you man!
I should have been able to do it a lot quicker but real life kept getting in the way :p
I do hope to do the whole suit using this method but it's all down to cash. I think I will do a little bit at a time as there is no hurry for it.

Got my temporary visor finished this week :)
Need to add the details into the corners still but it's getting there.

IMG_2771_zps27a2f561.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back