Dragon*con 08'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vexona said:
My vote is for the Gordon Biersch micro brewery. ;)

Me and Mikal went there on Sunday and everything there was...omg...delicious. Some of the best stuff I'd ever had.

woa.. a micro brewery with good location for con??? uh yeah.. I vote yes.. a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Spase said:
Thats what happens when your a Fatty (sorry DOC ;) )

Yeah I'd like to thank you guys a lot. After my fiance saw how thin you guys were she was like "If you're gonna get armor you're gonna have to lose weight, you're a fatty." So thanks to you guys....ALOT. :lol:

Well I thought the Con went well. I didn't sign up for anything because:

1.) Southern heat sucks unless you're in a bikini, and it was my virgin armor trial, so I'm not going to risk heat stroke for a dumb parade.

2.) A couple people, were in a car for 20 hours, and needed SLEEP. Physical and mental Health before a hobby.

3.) For those of use who weren't in the hosts, we didn't know ATL, and that city is seedy as hell in downtown. Throw in a mob of Alabama football junkies, wapoof! A big ol' mess, but we managed to talk to our group. And we got people were doing their own thing, no big deal. We went and had our own funa nd met up with them later.

4.) Photo-ops vs. eating? There we were, re-hydrating, hungry and cooling off, since well it was about 90 out. The group of 4 I was in lost track of Adam and everyone. We didn't get mad, and like adults, we were going to eat by ourselves, we had no idea about some "Dinner". Then all of a sudden "OMG hurry up, we need to eat OMG hurry". We clomped up there, saw tired and sweaty borderline dehydrated Spase and Devin sitting on a bench and there were no tables or anything set up. So you can kiss my armored ass if you don't like it. No one told us $#!T, and do you see us writing a huge rant, NO! A lot of us also had budgets, and when people say "Dinner" you can sometimes induce panic. Even more so if the "dinner" could be at a Smith and Wollensky calibur joint. So let's not start swingin'.

5.) Some people COULD NOT make it, oh well. They should have told you and you should have re-thought the table when no one had signed up, even after 4 months on the thread.

We gave out a bunch of cards, and dropped 405th hundreds of times. If people really want the armor, they will find the site. You can give people t-shirts, stickers, booklets whatever, that doesn't mean they'll pursue anything. I don't think we're big enough for a table, just my opinion. The field P.R. did nicely, we had about 2 groups running around.

Communication was a flop at the Con, though I will not harp on anyone because people did what they had to. People stayed out and partied til the wee hours, and some of us slept rather than party. Is anyone wrong? No. You need to gripe to those who flaked out on you PRIVATELY. Long-ass gripes about failed grand plans should be discussed with those involved, not aired out in front of our entire forum.

I understand your dissapointment Rob, and I hope that we can pull together better as a team next time. I too was unhappy with the turn out for the parade and the loss of the table. If this was indeed the litmus test for our organizational skills, we passed, but not by much (maybe like a D-) o_O

I think that too many of us had a "lets wait and see" approach to this convention. Overall I was very happy to see us gather together for dinner, although there was a real dissconnect when it came to who was taking and who was giving orders. We had difficulty finding your booth (and I know that wasn't your fault, D*C switched your location), but once we did get together it was a tough thing to balance your sense of urgency with everyone elses uncertainty and infamiliarity with the venue. A little more tolerance and understanding on everyones part would have made things go more smoothly.

I think everyone knew that your table list was being neglected, but with so many cramming to get ready for the commute, and so many people dropping out, I think that a last minute 'call to arms' would have been the right thing to do to rally us. I know that I've stated it before, but I think that we all should have gotten each others cell # before the trip to help with 'on the ground' coordination. Much of the difficulty we had with trying to get in contact could have been avoided, and you could have called some people to come take over the table before giving it up.

I know that you're upset, but I think that you're missing that others were trying to coordinate other than yourself. I spent most of Saturday afternoon trying to find you to get our plans straight for the dinner. Being that the D*Con staff couldn't even direct me to your booth I don't think that they're going to condemn OUR organizational skills. The whole thing was little bit of madness, all over.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand what you're saying, but I firmly believe that the best thing to do from this point is to move forward, focus on our organizational skills for upcoming events, and resist pointing blame at anyone in particular. Adam isn't our Daddy, he doesn't have all the answers. We ALL could have done better with this... any one of us could have put our foot down in the days preceeding the convention and said "Where the hell is our help?" But what started as a flash fire of enthusiasm when we initially began the registry and responded to your invitation smoldered to nothing but embers in the final days before the convention. Nobody poured the gas back on the fire... and ANY of us could have. I share your dissapointment, but I won't let that obscure that we made great progress in other areas and have the capacity to improve even more in the future.

Well, now we know, right? From what I hear, thats like half the battle! So lets learn from our mistakes and move forward.
And if anyone wants to step forward to offer their help to coordinate these events they certainly have the right to do so.
Don't look to the top expectantly, we all must do our parts.

alright everyone, D*Con 08 is over, now we have 362 days to figure out a plan, learn from past mistakes, and get ready for DragonCon 09.

I'll try to go, and if i know for sure, i will make a maximum effort to help out in any way possible.

Sean Bradley said:
Well, now we know, right? From what I hear, thats like half the battle!
Ah, you stole my line...eh not really, but anyway...

Next year is already well in hand people. I'll be working closely with Jax at organizing all the need to know information for next year. People that wish to volunteer should contact me to let me know what you're willing to do. I'm not going to claim that I know exactly what to do, but I know how to go about finding out what I need to take care of this so we all can have an even better experience for next year.

I learned a great deal from this event as did we all.

Currently, our focus will be information gathering(Pre/Post-Arrival to the Con) and ticket registration for next year's event.

There's more to come folks. Just sit tight, take a deep breathe, and let's work on 405th's D*Con '09.

just my little update call the Hyatt and you can book a room for dragon con now 4 days at 156 a night i already book 2 rooms so book them fast, the Marriott does it starting in October so book soon and book fast other wise they are gone by November

For those that are negative, calm down. I enjoyed everyone's company, it was a blast. As far as I know there are a few of us that posted before hand that we where not able to march in the parade. The trip up was fun, but a killer drive. Next year I hope to be able to find the table to set at it and for the banner to be delivered to.

I wish that any negative comments would have been left to PM, totally kills the nature of enjoyment. :cautious:

Edit: btw Adam did try to call you several times Rob, I know because I was there when he tried. Oh, and learn the name or spelling of the nickname of people you commended Ex. Dreads!

I'm new and haven't been to d*con but I want to next year. I looked in the stickies but it didn't say if it cost anything to go. Will I need to bring money? And is there anything else I need to know?

(If this is in the wrong place, please tell me and I will delete it.)

Dreads said:
just my little update call the Hyatt and you can book a room for dragon con now 4 days at 156 a night i already book 2 rooms so book them fast, the Marriott does it starting in October so book soon and book fast other wise they are gone by November
WHAT! It'll be booked by November?? o_O
I hope someone can save some room in there place in the Hyatt for me, I'm not going to be able to get my plans in motion for attending till the end of November. I'd book now, but I'm tied up financially till after Armageddon expo 08 here in Aus (Nov 1st 2nd). Ill be very happy to split the costs, I'd even pay a majority if i can get a bed... considering ill be traveling a VERY long way... (24 hours in a plane...)
I'm very surprised that you can book the hotel that far in advance, i cant book a flight for another 65 days...
PM me if your up for sharing and you want to give an Aussie brother a hand :)

If I had armor, I'd stay at the table for ya guys next year- if there was one. But I don't think I'm going as the chief. So that rules out that.

Unless free super discounted armor that fits perfectly?!?!!? ;) Hell. I'll stay at the table for a LONG time if that happened. But that's not going to happen XD

Spartan117x said:
If I had armor, I'd stay at the table for ya guys next year- if there was one. But I don't think I'm going as the chief. So that rules out that.

Unless free super discounted armor that fits perfectly?!?!!? ;) Hell. I'll stay at the table for a LONG time if that happened. But that's not going to happen XD

No armor needed :D But if it comes down to it maybe there will be spare armor for the con ;) (no promises)

Dreads said:
all you need is a Credit card to hold it th Hyatt does not charge you till u check in
Excellent! They accept international bookings without having to pay i assume?

Ill be booking a room sometime in the next month then!
Thanks for the heads up Dreads, i would have ended up leaving it too late.

Edit: When i check availability for rooms from 3rd-8th, Sept 09, it says its already booked out! ahh! I haven't rung them yet, and i probably wont get around to it for a week... Are they just saving rooms for D*con and when i ring them ill be able to book? I've only tried the Hyatt, but from what I've heard, that's the place to be...

Getting a hotel room has got to be the most important thing....

No matter what my life situations are, I am NOT missing D*Con next year. I'll put aside $200 a month from here on out. I will be booking my hotel room within the next 2 months, if anyone wants to bunk and split the cost, PM me so we can start planning NOW.

Rowan, if you do make the overseas trip, i'll have room for ya no matter what. Cuz yous mah brotha from anotha motha, son! :]

Just needed too say it

So we say all good in public and pm the bad... NO, I saw that we could do better and we can, I am just letting some of you-all know how I saw it.

SK my bitch is NOT with any one person. You should up, A+ for that. As a group we are lacking and WE need to flush it out.
I am an Blunt person and do not like to sugar coat stuff. I called it how I saw it. " I was unhappy with the event."

MY phone Sucks, No bars, No calls :mad:

We ALL need to look at what can help. PM back and forth is slow and is NOT a group thing, 405 at a CON is a Group

Be sides No ONE did any thing wrong some how could I PM one person.

Spelling get a life. If you know me at all you know I am dyslexic your lucky I can spell 405 :mad:

I have to bitch. Now I can go ford with the next event. :)

Love Rob

Rob said:
Just needed too say it

So we say all good in public and pm the bad... NO, I saw that we could do better and we can, I am just letting some of you-all know how I saw it.

SK my bitch is NOT with any one person. You should up, A+ for that. As a group we are lacking and WE need to flush it out.
I am an Blunt person and do not like to sugar coat stuff. I called it how I saw it. " I was unhappy with the event."

MY phone Sucks, No bars, No calls :mad:

We ALL need to look at what can help. PM back and forth is slow and is NOT a group thing, 405 at a CON is a Group

Be sides No ONE did any thing wrong some how could I PM one person.
Spelling get a life. If you know me at all you know I am dyslexic your lucky I can spell 405 :mad:

I have to bitch. Now I can go ford with the next event. :)

Love Rob

So the stuff directed to Adam about not calling you, that wasn't to a single person? I personally don't care for your feelings but this looks bad on us all. How is it your a mod agian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back