Dragon*con 2010 Parade Planning & Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I could make you happy sir!

INDEED - thanks for the warm welcome back into the fold, guys! Big thanks for the members that stepped up and helped to make the trip happen this year. I'm really looking forward to seeing you fine folks again and meeting some others for the first time. It should be a blast!

I didn't want to clutter my earlier post but I wanted to put this out there for anyone who hasn't marched DCon before.

There is usually not a whole lot of "relaxing" going on before the parade - it may step off at 10 but we need to be in place and organized as a group long before then. It is also a 10-20 minute hike (with traffic) depending on your hotel location so plan accordingly. If you have never worn your kit for an actual "march" the walk to the parade start may bring some issues up and you need to allow some time for last-minute patches. It usually takes longer than you would think to get everyone in one place. There are literally THOUSANDS of people in the parade, not to mention the spectators so keep your eyes peeled for Halo gear.

We generally meet up at the park, towards the back (near the grass). Hopefully we will have the banner but with the size of the group marching this year (hopefully) it won't be a problem finding the 405th. Once we get close to "stepping off" and the parade starts, you need to BE READY - COMPLETELY. We will know which group we follow but things move fast and when they call us, they mean RIGHT NOW so there won't be any time to get geared up if you aren't ready to go. Make sure your boot laces are double-knotted and your straps are tight - the parade doesn't stop and the crowds along both sides of the street don't leave a lot of space to discreetly step out.

It is a fairly long parade with no water breaks so be prepared for quite a hike. Hydrate before you leave - given the temperatures so far this year, it's a fair bet that it will be HOT. DCon will have bottled water at the end of the parade so make sure you follow through. There tend to be a lot of spectators/fans at the parade end and it's a great photo-op. Just make sure that you take a few minutes to cool down if you need it.

As far as the parade itself goes - HAVE FUN!!!

Try to stay in character (for goodness sakes - no chorus lines this year) but enjoy yourself. Run around, attack the Covenant in the buildings, make sure to stop (briefly) for pictures, etc. Little "combat vignettes" work well and be sure to have some poses ready. Kit up and look at yourself in the mirror if you need to but you should be comfortable striking a pose. This will help you outside the parade as well. If I had to guess, I posed for well over 500 pictures last year and it makes it more fun if you mix it up. Pay special attention to the kids - they eat this stuff up and you could make a child's day by running over and giving him/her a high five. That being said, BE CAREFUL! You don't want to clock someone with your AR or trip and fall into a nice family. The more comfortable you are in your kit, the better.

This should be a great group this year and I look forward to seeing you all there! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
i may need to meet up with someone at the hotel to help.. i will have the turret and the flamethrower it will be hard packing but i am determined..:D:D

I'm interested in joining the parade.

-Props(Weapon/s) you are bringing, if any (Shotty, BR, AR, SR, Pistol, etc.)
none

-Halo Costume Type (ODST, Marine, MKIV, MKV, MKVI, etc)
Cortana

for goodness sakes - no chorus lines this year

haters1.jpg

works for me. you can either come on to the meet up point, and then once we have most of the group, you and i can run back up to your room and grab what we need to, or i can meet you at your room at whatever time so that we dont make two trips. either way is fine with me.

Goosebot my phone number that I sent to you not too long ago is the wrong number when they re-activated my phone the new number is (501) 691-2523 which is my cell I'll have it turned on , on the 1st of September.

Sorry people. I overestimated my supplies. I don't have enough smoothcast to finish my project, and by the time it gets here, time will have run out. Long story short, my costume will not be done and I will not be participating in the parade.
I'll probably meet up with you guys before the parade and chat, but I'll be costumeless. Sorry about the change of plans, but things have been way too hectic and I just can't keep up. Next year for sure though

Aww thats a bummer. We need more Atlanta spartans to represent! I'm probably not going to be able to bondo all of my suit either but I'll have it done. Just need to get a visor >__<

i'm not anywhere close to being done. was shooting for it but not going to make it. will be there just not in kit. will be looking for the 405th and rootin you all on.

My suit will be done and I officially can go, so huzzah! Unfortunately the people I was going with and staying with shafted me...so awkward hotel arrangements, here I come..Count me in for the parade, guys!

Im working on my strapping now, I already trimmed the thighs to be able to walk around comfortably. All I have to do is bondo a few more things, paint, and get a visor. The suit WILL be ready to go for the parade. As for the weapons, now that its becoming crunch time I'm not sure if I'm even going to get my pistols done now. *Sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back