Dual Layer Visor Mini-Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
man this tutorial was awesome, good job sean, are the visors in your helmet, gold from the factory, or did u tint them,

question--??-- so the better tutorials go in the ONI section, hmm, how do we get granted access it says i cant go in there, damn, section 3

I hope to see it finished one day.

If I could rewind the clock back to when I had more time to work on it I would...

Another good tip that I've learned while working on automotive body panels is to cover what you're cutting in a layer (or two, if you're clumsy like me, hah) of masking tape - the blue 3M stuff is my favorite. That way any abrasive dust generated during the cutting process won't damage your blinging surface. That also gives you a bit of protection from stray dremel bounces.

Beautiful end result btw, I was definitely wondering how the more professional looking masks (like yours) achieved that effect.... very clever.

Thats man!

I do use the 3M painters tape myself too... just didn't mention it.

The mettalized surface is very delicate. It's best if you can do the whole process of cutting without putting your hands directly on the surface..

Wow man, supercool. Just wondering one thing though, when you show the picture of the two visors finished (not in the helmet) I can still see through the front of it. However, I cannot see through it in the finished product when it is inside the helmet though. What exactly did you do to do this? Or is it just the angle of the picture? Thanks.

I would imagine that was simply due to lighting. With a light source of sorts coming from behind the visor, it is possible to see through it to a degree, but with it inserted in the helmet, as it's darkened inside (with no light source behind it), it's completely reflective. Just my guess, though... :whistle:

Yeah, I should have known about the lighting. Thanks for the help, was a little worried people would be able to see me when I get my full suit assembled and go to Wal-Mart to just stand in their video games section to move randomly when people touch my armor or something to freak them out haha.

great tut just thought of doing the same thing a little while ago before i read looked here.

need to learn to search first before posting

hey man nice job!! that was one of the things that was most perplexing to me when i was thinking about how to make the helmet. is there any way to get a visor for under 40$? i dont think i can afford to really get 2 right now, sadly...

Just curious, could you put up a picture of what it looks like from the inside to look through the visor? I jsut want to see what it does to the visibility. Thanks!

Will do... I have a collection of visors ready to go right now... but my times at a premium..

I'll upload as soon as I can..

And for the record.. it's still crystal clear as a single visor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back