Dual Layer Visor Mini-Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zarriph-187 said:
Yeah, I should have known about the lighting. Thanks for the help, was a little worried people would be able to see me when I get my full suit assembled and go to Wal-Mart to just stand in their video games section to move randomly when people touch my armor or something to freak them out haha.
lmao, that sounds like sumthing id do.

and to a question above, since part of the second visor will be cut off, you will actually be looking through one visor.

you get the idea hopefully lol (i suck at xplinations)

Last edited by a moderator:
woot, i can post now :D

btw, that is awesome. but ive been trying to use heat-guns with the factory visor they put out with the legendary package and lay-up plastic on it.

maybe we can come up with a different way of doing this instead of duel layer.... or at least instead of tape, carefully use some 2 part epoxy resin to glue them together to make it look like one....

but good work

So I was wondering if anyone had found a more bulbous visor. Like one that's bulged out instead of just curved? Probably a stupid question, since I haven't seen anyone use one yet...

JoobiDoob said:
This probably sounds like a noob question, but what tool are you using to cut the visor?
Read the first post.

JoobiDoob said:
This probably sounds like a noob question, but what tool are you using to cut the visor?

It's s a dremel..a rotary cutting tool.

Stay safe,

Tim.

Sean Bradley said:
Hey all.
Adam requested that I pony up the technique I used to make the Blue Realm style Dual Layer visors for my helmet, so I thought that I should share it with all of you. Being that I've been a little behind... on finishing the comprehensive tutorial, I figure I owed you guys a freebie...
I think it's common knowledge how it's done, But I know that it's pretty intimidating taking a Dremel to a brand new pristine visor without seeing it done by someone else.
Also I wanted to officially thank Blue Realm for pioneering this technique. I had thought about doing it, but didn't have the guts to try until I saw how great his looked. Hope you don't mind Blue Realm, it's in your honor, and you deserve the credit! :clap:
Firstly I purchased two identical gold visors. I buy mine here : http://www.helmetsetc.com/detail.asp?product_id=rst-19
Then I took a sheet of printer paper and taped it to the visor so that I could trace the exact dimensions of the visor and the exposed area of it when it is installed in my helmet. I took this sheet of paper back off the visor and roughly sketched the shapes of the recessed areas using game images as a reference. I then scanned this image into my computer and straightened and cleaned up the design of the template in Photoshop... which looks something like this:
template.jpg

I then printed the template out at full size, and taped it to the inside of my visor. Then I very carefully traced this pattern onto the face of the visor using a oil pencil.
With the pattern transferred to the visor, I used a Dremel rotary tool with a REINFORCED CUTTING WHEEL to very very carefully cut the patten out. Don't use those awful standard cutting wheels to do this, they will snap apart and fly all over the place! Be very patient and try cutting just a little at a time carefully avoiding any skipping or scratching of the surface, and also be very careful to not overcut at the corners.
cut1.jpg

cut2.jpg

cut3.jpg

After I had cut all the lines there was still a little bit of plastic holding the pieces in place. I used a fine scroll saw blade to hand-cut these last little attachments.
cut4.jpg

After seperating the cut out areas of the design, I carefully trimmed off the flashing around the cuts, and used 120 grit sandpaper and a fine file to clean up the edges. Be VERY careful when wiping dust off of the visor, because this abrasive dust will scratch off the mirrored finish. Use compressed air, or wash it off under a faucet.
cut5.jpg

Then just place this cut out visor overtop of the uncut one. You may want to neatly tape the two together at the edges before you install it in your helmet.
Enjoy!
cut6.jpg

Helmet-3.jpg

-Sean

sweet tut man, NOW I KNOW
WHAT TO BUY FOR A VISOR!
(but seriously, would these work instead of the visors you buy?
are they different, because i have a cheap budget! visor link: http://www.helmetsetc.com/detail.asp?product_id=hjc_shields

PM me

+Spartan-K22 (y)

Sean Bradley said:
Will do... I have a collection of visors ready to go right now... but my times at a premium..
I'll upload as soon as I can..

And for the record.. it's still crystal clear as a single visor.

Hi Sean,

How did to glue the two lenses together?

Thanks

I was wondering if I could do the same thing on the outside my helmet since it is already done, glued, etc.... That is, hot glueing the second lens on top of the first without having to pull the lens from the helmet.

Do you think this can be done?

Check out my gallery. Right now I use gold vinyl pin stripping and was thing about doing the rest of the lens with a gold vinyl labeling.

Your dual lens looks really good.

I suppose so, although it will be more complicated..

You'd have to custom cut the second visor to fit from the outside... other than that I don't see any reason why it isn't possible.

I suspect that the hot glue will show through the visor... best to find another way to attach it.

Hey, could i use rubber cement? and is there a cheaper item to use
than a replacement shield for motorcycle helmets?
(by cheaper i mean less expencive but still has reflective tint)

PM me back...thx sean

+Spartan-K22

Nothings going to look as good as a replacement gold moto shield.

I dunno if rubber cement is a good idea... the solvent could interact with the gold coating...

I guess I will order a replacement lens and see if I can do dual layer visor thing. Wish me luck.

Also, was it the carbide cutting wheel that you used on the dremel?

I used a Dremel rotary tool with a REINFORCED CUTTING WHEEL to very very carefully cut the patten out. Don't use those awful standard cutting wheels to do this, they will snap apart and fly all over the place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back