Dual Layer Visor Mini-Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice tutorial. I'm trying to cut out my visor right now and I realized what you meant by using a reinforced cutting wheel. The ones I had are bad and wouldn't cut without breaking. I did buy new reinforced ones and the new cutting disks work perfect.

Hey I had I thought...

If you were to cover the visor you're cutting in masking tape, it might reduce (or eliminate) any possible damage done to the visor. And it should keep your cut nice and clean too. Another plus is that you could probably tape the design straight to the visor. Something to consider. I'll probably try it when I get to my visor installation.

Nicktendo-

That's actually a great idea to do. I ended up doing that with lots of masking tape when I was cutting. It helped with protecting the helmet and visor from all the gunk when you cut.

Nicktendo said:
Hey I had I thought...

If you were to cover the visor you're cutting in masking tape, it might reduce (or eliminate) any possible damage done to the visor. And it should keep your cut nice and clean too. Another plus is that you could probably tape the design straight to the visor. Something to consider. I'll probably try it when I get to my visor installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would worry more about damage from the masking tape than from the cutting... if I were to try that...

but good suggestion! I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Hmm, all I needed was a reinforced cutting wheel? I went and got a diamond wheel today. Overkill I guess, but I'm prepared.

tsau-mia said:
It looks like one of your helmets is different than the other. Just color wise. Is it just the picture?

But theres only one pic of a helmet in this thread... what are you referring to.

I've made many helmets... each is unique.. and I've revised my paint process several times...

Not really...

Look at Spase's helmet pics from the inside; lower right corner:

gallery_3819_91_1137.jpg

Sean's technique has worked really well for me, and I'm really looking forward to trying it out with some clear acrylic like a couple members have recently and save some $.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of folks have been using his double visor template posted here (me too, I used it in my BR helm :D ) But like he said his template is made for his helm, which has a slightly different shape than your average pep helm.

Anyway, I thought I'd post my template that's adjusted a bit more for those people using pep. Should be good to print for a 26 cm helm. Other sizes will need to be scaled accordingly.

Sigma-LS said:
Sean's technique has worked really well for me, and I'm really looking forward to trying it out with some clear acrylic like a couple members have recently and save some $.

I used the same technique using clear .015" styrene. I got a pack of 3 sheets of the clear styrene at my local hobby shop for less than $7. The cuts were made using an X-acto knife with a sharp new blade. I'm on my way to trying it with slightly thicker acrylic as well as PVC to see if I can do a better job with a different material. I'm also thinking about heating up the clear plastic overlay a little bit to see if I can stretch it to fit the HJC visor a bit better. Either way, the rough draft came out well:

Visortestingagain011.jpg

If anyone needs it, I've attached the template I used to get the look that I got using Flying Squirrel's pep helm built to a height of 31.9cm. Essentially it's a modified version of the same template Sean posted in the tutorial, but I've spherized it a bit to increase the convex look of the visor. Hopefully this will be useful.

[attachment=2855:visortemplate1.JPG]

Try using 2 of those 3 liter soda bottles you can get at most dollar stores. I thank those are large enough to work. Cheap enough for trial fits and you get soda as a bonus.

So anyhow I spent the day around the whole city calling and going in and out of 28 stores that said they stocked visors not a single one has any gold ones.... 3 of them told me they stock them only one store had a gold one and it was $20 AUD... about $15 USD and it was gold but you could see straight through it urgh... can anyone help me get one from america? it said that plus shipping its going to cost me about $100+ USD am I looking at the wrong one or something? One store said they could order it in for me but it would cost $120... sigh

By the Way, does anyone tried to geht a Double-Visor Look with this Sanding Pistols, that are used to get a Ground free of any Paint?

That Pistols can spray any Sort of Sand, from very small to big Corns. I think they have a adjustable Sprayline to geht those Visorlines on the Helmet.

And in the Case they dont do it so as i think, taping the Visor should be a second Option, let only the Visorlines free and sand it.

Hmm...that reminds me on a second sanding Method that uses Flour, in the End it looks like that:
484_14_1_thumb.jpg

The Materials for that are very cheap, you need only Water, a Bristle-Brush and a special Sort of Flour, dont know what "Bimsmehl" is called in English o_O

Mix the Flour and Water until it looks like Pap und then Brush it for about 5 Minutes, change the Way of left to right and right to left every Minute or every Brush, it doesnt matter.

Should try it, normaly this Method is used by Casemodders for theyr Casewindows and doesnt have a Dremel or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back