Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice scaling looks pretty dam good. Plus I think it’ll look even better with those fancy height boosting boots. Helmets looks great and I think you’re working magic with that bondo. Can’t wait to see more progress

Thanks guys! I'm already at 9 hours of just Bondo work this weekend and I think I'll be able to get 15 more in before Monday. T-minus 3 months. :confused:
You got this. Don't be Cayde.
I got this.gif

I don't know how you do it so fast man, I've sanded my hand cannon for upwards of 15 hours. And that's just one prop! Pffrrrt, you're fast! I need to work faster, lol...

Last edited:
I think it's because PerniciousDuke uses bondo sparingly.....it makes sanding much easier........It helps when the under-frame is near perfect.....like PD usually does. It will always need only a little bondo.
Dude, if I showed you how much Bondo I use, you would laugh. None. I use tiny blobs of spot putty in tiny amounts at a time to get rid of 3D print lines and seams. It takes sooooo looong to wipe those seams from existence. I'm going for the "cast-worthy" approach, so i'm trying to get it as close to perfect as possible, which results in a lot of sanding on something so tiny. Lots of intricate sanding.

Dude, if I showed you how much Bondo I use, you would laugh. None. I use tiny blobs of spot putty in tiny amounts at a time to get rid of 3D print lines and seams. It takes sooooo looong to wipe those seams from existence. I'm going for the "cast-worthy" approach, so i'm trying to get it as close to perfect as possible, which results in a lot of sanding on something so tiny. Lots of intricate sanding.

Maybe you need to work on your upper body.....?giphy (26).gif

Hahaha, nice one TurboCharizard

Dirtdives , blackwell is sanding plastic... it is harder than sanding bondo. Bondo is meant to be sanded. Plastic just melts. It is pretty miserable.

But, if I were to give advice mblackwell1002 it's using the right tools that matter. I have a sanding block, works a lot better than just paper by itself, a lot faster. But, it doesn't do curves very well. I also have power sanders which can sand through things it shouldn't pretty quick. So you just have to know when to use the right ones for the right jobs.

Progress:

For this weekend I didn't really do a lot of sanding. I spent 16 hours just applying bondo. There were some spots where the paper got warped or whatever and that took a lot of layers to get it back to a good base level. Apart from that just taking my time making sure I wasn't applying too much bondo and losing details.

All of my pieces now have one full coat of bondo!
20171126_102755.jpg

The second coat will go a lot quicker, but there will be a lot of sanding to do now. My goal is bondo 100% done by the end of december. Then I'll start painting.

AHHHHHH YES, PAINTIIIING!! I'm sooooo excited to see this suit painted, I absolutly love the way the helmet looks so I can't wait to see the rest of it done as well!

Apologies if you mentioned this recently and I didn't see it but I wanted to ask whats been going on with the Brute shot? I remember last seeing it when you showed it too me in a video chat a while ago, where the end blade had bent slightly I think? Cursed memory ain't as young as it used to be :lol:.

I wanted to ask whats been going on with the Brute shot?

Good question. Yes, a lot of the lack of progress has been due to the discouragement of the bruteshot warping. Also... Not game accurate as I'm making a halo reach suit and that game doesn't have that gun, not sure if the gun existed that early. I wonder if the Brute shot was in halo wars??

I'm leaning towards finishing the reach shotgun 3d printed as my companion. What are your guy's thoughts?

Ha, yeah mblackwell1002, I just thought of this yesterday. Saves me time between Bondo layers. Really sped things up. The one ounce cups have always been great though.

What do you all think? In the picture above with the commando shoulder... I really don't want to Bondo inside the long recesses at the top. What if I cut them out instead and made them recessed light panels (like I'll be doing in the thighs.)

Ha, yeah mblackwell1002, I just thought of this yesterday. Saves me time between Bondo layers. Really sped things up. The one ounce cups have always been great though.

What do you all think? In the picture above with the commando shoulder... I really don't want to Bondo inside the long recesses at the top. What if I cut them out instead and made them recessed light panels (like I'll be doing in the thighs.)
I would should smooth the recesses. It'll take a lot of work, but it will be more accurate. That's totally up to you, though.

Progress:

Another successful weekend away. Put 15 hours in. That doesn't include set up or clean up.. That's 15 hours with either a putty knife in my hand or a sander.

Here's my Bondo station. Got to use my parent's propane patio heater.
20171209_144218.jpg

And here was my sanding station so cold. I don't think it was much warmer than 40 F. Times like this that really makes me question why I am doing this. :p
20171210_124338.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back