1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Discussion in 'Halo Pepakura Costumes' started by PerniciousDuke, May 24, 2016.

1. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Trust me, this stuff is waaaaaaay better than super glue.

Haha, I'm thinking if I start a prop building group I'll call it Vagrant Cosplay. Did you see in this last one I have a pretzel warmer!? Lol

2. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

Reveal your secretssssss.....please....;)

Dirtdives and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  3. PerniciousDuke

I will, in the other thread once I'm done with my tests of the product. Don't want to promote something I am not certain of.

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

What are you using to glue the pieces together?
    Edit: sorry this was already asked, I missed that there were more messages on the next page.

5. PerniciousDuke

You guys are relentless! :p It's Weld-On #4. It's marketed for acrylics. All I know is that it works wonders for PLA and that as far as I can tell it is similar to ABS slurry in that it disintegrates the plastic so that once it melts and hardens your build is one solid piece. So far it doesn't seem to work on anything else. Doesn't even leave any film on your fingers.

But again, still more tests that I would like to do to confirm this.

ePlastics Mobile Store

Dirtdives and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  6. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Then I suggest don't bring the cats near me...I would drop-kick them in to the next time zone.......Duke, everything is looking super Papeswoosh!!!!!!!! Great job man.

7. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

You're missing some vowels there, buddy...P-A-P-E-E-S-H-E-E-W-O-O-S-H. Papeesheewoosh

8. PerniciousDuke

9. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Thanks for the link. Yes for small seams and such. If there’s heavy smoothing needed or misaligned seams I use regular body filler.

10. PerniciousDuke

I'm a big fan of spot putty. For me it sands much faster than regular Bondo and the bonus of not having to mix it. Seriously, I coat the entire piece as my final layer with pep. Also working out pretty well for this shotgun.
    20171228_185449.jpg

11. PerniciousDuke

Update:

I have ALL my armor pieces DONE with Bondo!!!

They have all been sanded in every place with 120 grit, then dremeled to bring out the details and hand filed to true up edges and corners. I'm going to skip doing another coat of Bondo with 220 grit. Since I found spot putty so cheap I'm just going to cover them fully in spot putty and sand with 320 grit. To confirm this I went ahead with one piece.

Behold! A thing of beauty!
    20171230_221242.jpg
    I have a gauntlet! She's ready for painting. I'll be spot putting and sanding all week to get the rest of the pieces to this stage and then it's off to painting.

I think I'll upload a picture of each piece once I get it to this stage. I really like the effect sanded spot putty gives.

12. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Awesome man your making great progress as of late. Can’t wait to see some more painting

13. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

WOW WOW and WOW!!! PerniciousDuke FANTASTIC looking!!!!! If this one piece is the precursor of the rest.....your suit will be epic!!!

14. PerniciousDuke

15. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Is it just me.... or does anyone else think the boot looks like one half of a really Hi Tech pair of Crocs?

16. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

That is the question...
    i want to believe.gif

PaiganBoi and Dirtdives like this.
  17. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

giphy-downsized (3).gif

18. PerniciousDuke

No comment..

Progress!

A little belated as this was all done last weekend. But as promised here is a photo of every piece that is done being shaped with Bondo.

20180107_121613.jpg
    20180107_130446.jpg
    20180107_130616.jpg
    20180107_130646.jpg
    20180107_130713.jpg
    20180107_130741.jpg
    20180107_130803.jpg
    20180107_130827.jpg
    20180107_130843.jpg

I ran out of spot putty so without wasting time I got started with primer.

Made a cool little contraption that came in handy. I was worried my pieces might fall off the hook while painting (which it did) so I filled a box with towels, put it on a table, covered it with a trash bag and put it underneath the painting hook. Lol This way it wouldn't take fall damage or roll around in the dirt.
    20180107_133649.jpg

Here's the only before and after I'll show with the primer. I'm pretty happy with the results. Zoom in on that bad boy!
    20180107_133825.jpg
    20180107_134308.jpg
    The weird discoloration at the bottom I think is because my primer may have froze at some point and it started spitting out powder. I should have shaken it longer. It cleaned up just fine.

Till next weekend everyone!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  19. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Looks great, going to be pretty satisfying to know you’ve built every line and every curve of your armor with your bare hands! Also paint doesn’t look too far away!! Be there before you know it.

20. PerniciousDuke

Question:

What kind of bolts do you think these are on the chest?
    Chest right.png
    Underneath Commando.png

My best guess is that is actually threads sticking out with a square nut and the nut has one notch ground in it...

21. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Think you nailed it..... or bolted?! It o_O .....no......that doesn’t work ... ya bad joke lol

22. PerniciousDuke

23. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Dead nuts ........ there we go haha knew there was a pun in there
    Kind of weird... 500yrs and space travel and we’re back to square nuts and bolts?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  24. Nordic Spartan

Nordic Spartan

Wow, looks cool! Cant wait too see it all done :)

25. PerniciousDuke

Progress:

I don't even know where to start with this weekends update. I guess I should tell you I've primered everything. Then realized that I should make sure it all fits on my body as comfortable as possible before I do any painting.

I was so scatter brained though, jumping from one piece to the next. I think what I'll do is once I have one piece done I'll show you what it took to get there.

First up, was the nuts and bolts. Biggest surprise with this suit came at the checkout stand after I bought all the nuts and bolts and washers for this suit. 75 Dollars worth! That includes some that are just aesthetic, some that hold the straps on and some that hold pieces against other pieces.

I went with bolts because these pieces feel heavy. I went to with three head sizes small medium and big to give a range so it all doesn't just look the same.

I will not be very mobile and if something falls off I will most likely not be able to get it back on. I weighed my armor pieces (without helmet). Just the barebones, no paint, no bolts, no padding, weighs 22 pounds. Doesn't sound like much now but it's gonna be tough to get around.

Here is how I planned out the bolts I needed.
    20180114_160345.jpg

And here a list of what I bought, excluding the aesthetic bolts.
    20180114_160413.jpg

My first piece attached!
    20180113_210313.jpg

Just a single bolt straight into the armor of the undersuit with Eva foam to fill the 3/4" gap between.
    20180114_141355.jpg

Moving on down I got the forearm, done the same way. Originally going to use the web straps, but bolting to the undersuit gives me the most range of motion.
    20180114_170644.jpg

Next up the boots, no longer resembling crocs hopefully! Boot is three pieces bolted together setting on top of an army boot that has a 2.5" heel lift. (shin just for comparison)
    20180114_132911.jpg

Here is the handplate, two bolts are aesthetics and the middle one will hold down the elastic band using a fender washer which is how it will stay on my glove.
    20180114_140931.jpg
    20180114_140949.jpg

(haven't updated my time yet for this weekend. I did a bunch more stuff too, just not photo worthy yet. See you tomorrow)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018