Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
(continued)

Steps for Fiberglassing (post 2 of 3)
Please understand that Fiberglass Resin does not contain Fiberglass.. You have to buy fiberglass separate.

3. LAYING FIBERGLASS
a. Get your materials ready. There are two main kinds of fiberglass, cloth and mat. Cloth contours to tight spaces better and is more expensive. Mat is great for large flat areas. I use cloth, both are pictured. Cut out various sizes and shapes of the fiberglass so that you can quickly lay them down.
20170903_105651.jpg
b. Be safe! Gloves are very important as fiberglass can leave micro cuts and results in irritated skin. Keep extra gloves easily accessible. Long sleeves are preferred along with glasses and a respirator.
c. If your piece is pretty strong go ahead and remove the support beams. If you can work around them then you might as well keep them in to ensure better shape once it is done hardening the fiberglass.
d. Spray adhesive from a craft store can save you a lot of frustration. The spray will help hold the material down so that you can cover the entire interior in fiberglass. If the next piece overlaps you'll need to spray more adhesive. You will want the fiberglass to be completely glued down. If you're having trouble with the fiberglass sticking to your hands just change out your gloves.
20170903_110323.jpg
e. Lay the fiberglass so that it contours to the piece. You do not want gaps between the pep and the fiberglass. Also try to get each piece as close together as possible. Overlapping is better than barren spots. Also be aware of high stress areas and joints of the pep, be sure to lay big or long pieces in these areas.
20170903_110400(0).jpg
20170903_110910.jpg
20170903_112219.jpg
f. Check to make sure you got fiberglass on all the interior surface and take a minute to clean up the piece. It is a lot easier to cut the edges of the fiberglass now than it will be once they are hardened.
20170903_115312.jpg
g. A problem I've had in the past is that once I douse the piece to soak the fiberglass in resin..the fiberglass starts to move around. The adhesive spray starts to dissolve and I'm left with frustrating situation. Here is my solution to that: I like to sprinkle a little resin into the piece.. like 1oz or less for the piece shown here. Once it hardens it will be like little thumb tacks holding my fiberglass pieces down.
20170903_112716.jpg
20170903_121834.jpg
Let this dry for 1 hour. You will thank me later. :)
h. Once you are ready go ahead and mix up a lot of resin. 4oz for a medium piece and 8oz for a large piece. Pour the resin in trying to get as much surface area hit by the pouring liquid. Once it starts to pool up then you can take a brush to move it around. The goal is that every single inch of that fiberglass gets soaked in resin. If the resin stops pooling and you still have fiberglass that is dry like cloth then mix up some more resin. You can't have too much here. Every bit you add with just strengthen it.
20170903_145017.jpg
20170903_145026.jpg
20170903_145039.jpg
20170903_190000.jpg
Let it dry for 24 hours
and make sure it is not resting in a way that the resin will seep out and pool or you may have just resined your piece to your table.

*The resin hardening can create gas fumes. This process may result in bubbles forming under the fiberglass. You do not want bubbles! Take your paint brush and poke these bubbles down before they harden.

*You can take this opportunity to modify your pieces to your needs. Here I've left support beams that will actually be fiberglassed overtop later creating a pocket for my cell phone.
20170903_121227.jpg
Here is another tube I made out of plastic binder material that I will fiberglass to create a place to store and hide my water bottle.
20170903_192301.jpg

(once all your stuff dries it is going to cut you when you try to handle it. The next post will be how to make it easier to handle and prep for bondo)

Last edited:
(continued)

Steps for Fiberglassing (post 2 of 3)
Please understand that Fiberglass Resin does not contain Fiberglass.. You have to buy fiberglass separate.

3. LAYING FIBERGLASS
a. Get your materials ready. There are two main kinds of fiberglass, cloth and mat. Cloth contours to tight spaces better and is more expensive. Mat is great for large flat areas. I use cloth, both are pictured. Cut out various sizes and shapes of the fiberglass so that you can quickly lay them down.
View attachment 249200
b. Be safe! Gloves are very important as fiberglass can leave micro cuts and results in irritated skin. Keep extra gloves easily accessible. Long sleeves are preferred along with glasses and a respirator.
c. If your piece is pretty strong go ahead and remove the support beams. If you can work around them then you might as well keep them in to ensure better shape once it is done hardening the fiberglass.
d. Spray adhesive from a craft store can save you a lot of frustration. The spray will help hold the material down so that you can cover the entire interior in fiberglass. If the next piece overlaps you'll need to spray more adhesive. You will want the fiberglass to be completely glued down. If you're having trouble with the fiberglass sticking to your hands just change out your gloves.
View attachment 249201
e. Lay the fiberglass so that it contours to the piece. You do not want gaps between the pep and the fiberglass. Also try to get each piece as close together as possible. Overlapping is better than barren spots. Also be aware of high stress areas and joints of the pep, be sure to lay big or long pieces in these areas.
View attachment 249202
View attachment 249203
View attachment 249204
f. Check to make sure you got fiberglass on all the interior surface and take a minute to clean up the piece. It is a lot easier to cut the edges of the fiberglass now than it will be once they are hardened.
View attachment 249205
g. A problem I've had in the past is that once I douse the piece to soak the fiberglass in resin..the fiberglass starts to move around. The adhesive spray starts to dissolve and I'm left with frustrating situation. Here is my solution to that: I like to sprinkle a little resin into the piece.. like 1oz or less for the piece shown here. Once it hardens it will be like little thumb tacks holding my fiberglass pieces down.
View attachment 249206
View attachment 249212
Let this dry for 1 hour. You will thank me later. :)
Once you are ready go ahead and mix up a lot of resin. 4oz for a medium piece and 8oz for a large piece. Pour the resin in trying to get as much surface area hit by the pouring liquid. Once it starts to pool up then you can take a brush to move it around. The goal is that every single inch of that fiberglass gets soaked in resin. If the resin stops pooling and you still have fiberglass that is dry like cloth then mix up some more resin. You can't have too much here. Every bit you add with just strengthen it.
View attachment 249207
View attachment 249208
View attachment 249209
View attachment 249216
Let it dry for 24 hours
and make sure it is not resting in a way that the resin will seep out and pool or you may have just resined your piece to your table.

*The resin hardening can create gas fumes. This process may result in bubbles forming under the fiberglass. You do not want bubbles! Take your paint brush and poke these bubbles down before they harden.

*You can take this opportunity to modify your pieces to your needs. Here I've left support beams that will actually be fiberglassed overtop later creating a pocket for my cell phone.
View attachment 249210
Here is another tube I made out of plastic binder material that I will fiberglass to create a place to store and hide my water bottle.
View attachment 249211

(once all your stuff dries it is going to cut you when you try to handle it. The next post will be how to make it easier to handle and prep for bondo)
Good idea for the water bottle hidey-hole. That will be very useful.

I can't wait to see more Bondo'd progress. It's gonna be awesome.

Been too long folks! I've been creepin, and building, and creeping some more. But my progress has not really been picture worthy.

Until... Wait, what's this!?
20171016_165030.jpg

All my pieces hardened?! Yup.

Some of them are in the first phase of Bondo while most are just now ready to be bondo'd. I've also done a few practice visors and I am liking silver with the color pallet. Thinking maybe even white accent lights for the suit.

Let me know what you think!

Looks FANTASTIC!!!!! To be honest, it also looks creepy........corps like actually......I used your technique on my son's helmet......adhesive spray and all.... and it came out great. TY so much for posting your method.

Looks FANTASTIC!!!!! To be honest, it also looks creepy........corps like actually......I used your technique on my son's helmet......adhesive spray and all.... and it came out great. TY so much for posting your method.

That's great to hear you got some use out of it! I'll try to compile it into it's own thread so it's easier for others to find. Thanks DD.

I went to my first comic con, JCCS, and I had a blast! Obviously my suit wasn't ready, but I got to see some fellow 405thers and many other great costumes.

mblackwell1002
(picture not working)

Thom A293
20171104_160302.jpg

This was my favorite (non-friend's) costume..
20171104_161708.jpg

This was a spur of the moment assembling of amazing panel speakers who were actually just audience members who stepped up when no one showed up to speak! Talk about confidence in cosplay!
20171104_154743.jpg

It's me!
20171104_171841.jpg
Super stoked for ECCC now!

Last edited:
Wow dude.....you couldn't have picked a better or more appropriate backdrop poster than "Stranger Things" to promote yourself.......Do you watch?

:p of course I watch.

Progress:

Slow and sweet. This is when my pieces really start to take shape.. Quite literally. As I shape the pieces with Bondo all the divots and sunken or misshapen areas start to smooth out.

First I've markered off all the surfaces I need to Bondo. A lot of these lines I sanded down too far and broke through to the paper. I went through 10 bottles of super glue to reharden the paper.
20171112_111914.jpg

Now I have pieces with no Bondo, some with a half coat and some with a full first coat. I've just been putting a little on a piece and then grabbing another. Hard right now as it's raining. Seriously I've been getting all my supplies out on the balcony once the skies clear up and bonding until it starts raining on me 40 minutes later. #washingtonlife
20171112_111928.jpg

Last edited:
:p of course I watch.

Progress:

Slow and sweet. This is when my pieces really start to take shape.. Quite literally. As I shape the pieces with Bondo all the divots and sunken or misshapen areas start to smooth out.

First I've markered off all the surfaces I need to Bondo. A lot of these lines I sanded down too far and broke through to the paper. I went through 10 bottles of super glue to reharden the paper.

Now I have pieces with no Bondo, some with a half coat and some with a full first coat. I've just been putting a little on a piece and then grabbing another. Hard right now as it's raining. Seriously I've been getting all my supplies out on the balcony once the skies clear up and bonding until it starts raining on me 40 minutes later. #washingtonlife
No pictures means it didn't happen...until then...i'll just pull a Spartan55.

BANANA!

Oh yes. Maturity goes out the window. That just happened.

I don't think "bananas" is the proper word to describe mblackwell1002.....He has his own unique way of seeing things that defies logic.......I think only BW can truly capture what it means to be BW..........I think we need a new Dictionary word. And no...I'm sorry....Genius isn't one of them........well no, not sorry.

Progress:

My first test fitting!!!
20171124_141520.jpg

The arm pieces didn't fit over the undersuit so I have to figure something out. But it was nice to see how they fit together and where I need to make improvements.

Mostly this weekend will be for Bondo. Everything here should turn red with a first full coat. I like working in alternating colors so that I know if I'm sanding too far.
20171122_204852.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back