Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone!

What color visor are you going to use? You probably mentioned it but how much trimming did you do to the helmet opening tp get it to fit? The nose piece do you think it was to much maybe should been solid instead of an aclove?
Visor color = light blue or blue, maybe silver. I'm vacuum forming which means I can play around with different colors pretty easily.
Helmet opening = no extra trimming at all. Means it's a little big for me, but I like the "larger than life" look and it leaves room for bateries/fans/switches. I didn't make that extra back of the neck guard, figured I could make it in foam after I make the neck seal.
Nose piece = I'm a big fan. I actually have 1/8" holes drilled in behind it through the helmet for ventilation.
20170623_125433_zpsd9shujyx.jpg

It was rather tricky to keep bondo from plugging up the opening above and below the bridge though. Definitely worth it. I plan to mount a fan there to make good use of the ventilation holes.

On the other side I totally love how dirty the helmet is! :D
I like some areas where metal is showing through but others look bit too artificial, but it might be just me.
But I like the paint sheme and the dirty effects most definitely. <3
THIS IS THE GENTLEMAN PENGUIN HELMET, fellas. Not a duck anymore. It evolved!
Ha, yeah I kinda took inspiration for your paint job too. When I saw your first piece weathered I was worried that it was too much. But once all the pieces were like that it really made sense. I'm hoping for the same evolution. :) One thing you are much better at is knowing where the weathering should be. Any specific spots that the weathering looks artificial? I'd like to do some touch ups before I seal it. Plus I'll be adding my spartan ID and UNSC text.

The helmet looks awesome!!! Love how it's looks painted and with all the weathering, looks like it's really been through a lot.
AND YES PALMER, BUT IT IS NOT SIMPLY A GENTLEMAN PENGUIN...
IT IS GENTLEMAN PUFFIN
I do like puffins. :p

Yeah man, I'm sorry...I tend to be my own worst enemy when it comes to props. I like things looking as perfect as I can get them, resulting in me spending months on just leg armor and building 3 MC armors for myself :p. This is not my build. I'm sorry for taking my opinions a little too far.
But it does look good. Definitely a gentleman puffin/penguin/toucan. But it looks mostly like a penguin to me.
You want the best out of all of us and I love that, so no need to apologize. :)

Dude, how much was that printer and set up? Seriously.....cause that thing will make my life alot easier when it comes to making suits for my kids for halloween
Just to be clear, I did not print this helmet. I've never printed anything. From what I've been told it is not a stellar printer, but it is good and have a large online community so there is always some help to be had along with tips/tricks/mods that you can do.
Here is a link to purchase the 3d printer. Some places have it cheaper, but it is nice to buy from a reputable website in case of returns or damaged parts. Took me about 4-6 hours to assemble with a helper.

Last edited:
Just in case you want to wait - I'm planning on doing a tutorial very soon, with all the work on it (I rather want to make video tutorial, so all the post-work and processing, etc.), I hope to get it done within a week or so. ;)
But IMO it's a seriously great job, love how you did the weathering, looks dirty as if it really has seen some battle. ;)

AND YES! I was totally hoping for a blue visor, it will match up perfectly with the colors.
Huh? Did you just drill those holes or were these on earlier photos? o.o They were nowhere to be seen.

I'm planning on doing a tutorial very soon, with all the work on it.

AND YES! I was totally hoping for a blue visor, it will match up perfectly with the colors.
Huh? Did you just drill those holes or were these on earlier photos? o.o They were nowhere to be seen.

That would be great! It will be a while before I can paint anymore parts. As for the dirt, I was thinking...I use to go dirt bike riding when I was a kid and it only took half a day to get my helmet caked in mud.. So it's not too far fetched.

The nose bridge in the front is literally a bridge, so there is a gap behind it. The holes were drilled long ago, hidden behind the nose bridge.

Progress:

My first time vacuum forming attempts went pretty well. Still some things to be improved.

Here is my visor buck. The green part is fake flower pot holder. Shapes really easy, but I would not recommend using it. It crumbles and leaves behind this annoying sand that gets stuck to everything... Including the visor plastic.

20170623_190642_zpswte5act6.jpg

20170623_193950_zps7w6ch2tr.jpg

20170623_193932_zpsyditwh0r.jpg

You can see the extra edge isn't enough. So I'm going to head to the craft store and maybe replace the green stuff with clay or something.

I don't know duke I think it looks pretty dam good. Much better then just a flat visor. I may have to hire your expertise and mail you a few bucks or busts (some reason bust pops into my head not buck)?? (y) And what do mean extra edge? The extra detailing in the visor itself ?

Last edited:
Extra meaning the green area around the edges of the bondoed visor negative. I need a wing around the visor so that I can secure it. Also if you notice in the corner... It doesn't reach.. Same goes for the bottom. I just need to replace the green area with something better.

When vacuum forming you can go with heatgun and a stick to detail those areas.
No idea how good/bad it'll work and add to those details though... I just remember seeing a video and someone did that.

When vacuum forming you can go with heatgun and a stick to detail those areas.
No idea how good/bad it'll work and add to those details though... I just remember seeing a video and someone did that.

Great idea. I will definitely have to do this. My buck is too tall so the ends of the visor don't get sucked down all the way. But I could heat gun it to bend it down a little.

Semi Costume Update:

First, working alone at my shop in downtown Tacoma... Not my idea of fun.

20170625_093958_zpsgyefs8ek.jpg

But, I did get a chance to go to Army surplus and picked out some boots. I already bought 3.5" heel lifts to make me taller and I was very skeptical how they would work, but they work awesome! With the combined height of the army boots I'm 5" taller.

20170625_144634_zpsuabeb8ko.jpg

Now I'm as tall as Dirt and all legs like Schankerz. (y)

20170625_144523_zpssgc5ufb4.jpg

Where'd you get your heel lifts? I am in need of a little height boost myself (only 5'9, no chief .......more like a palmer......actually palmer is probably taller:() they look good.... you don't look like your wearing platforms and the proportions seem good. Spartans seem to have very long legs anyways. Also anxious to see your second attempt on that visor!!!

Great idea. I will definitely have to do this. My buck is too tall so the ends of the visor don't get sucked down all the way. But I could heat gun it to bend it down a little.

Semi Costume Update:

First, working alone at my shop in downtown Tacoma... Not my idea of fun.

View attachment 246144

But, I did get a chance to go to Army surplus and picked out some boots. I already bought 3.5" heel lifts to make me taller and I was very skeptical how they would work, but they work awesome! With the combined height of the army boots I'm 5" taller.

View attachment 246145

Now I'm as tall as Dirt and all legs like Schankerz. (y)

View attachment 246146
Dude. That is soooo cheating. ;)

And I'm only 5' 8" so I'm no Chief myself.

I need to go to army surplus as well...did the army surplus you went to have lots of pouches? Like, pouches for carrying ammo and stuff? mostly needing Warlock pouches.

Where'd you get your heel lifts? I am in need of a little height boost myself (only 5'9, no chief .......more like a palmer......actually palmer is probably taller:() they look good.... you don't look like your wearing platforms and the proportions seem good. Spartans seem to have very long legs anyways. Also anxious to see your second attempt on that visor!!!
Amazon.com: Flexzion Unisex Increase Insole 4 Layer Height Shoes Heel Full Insert Lift Elevator Air Cushion Pad 9cm (Approximately 3.5 inches) Taller for Adult Men Women Size USA 4.5-9: Home Improvement
I always though they had long legs too.
I'm also 5'9" and I wear size 10.5 (I don't know what size boots these are, they are huge though) the heel lifts are a little narrow, but not unwearable.

Dude. That is soooo cheating. ;)

And I'm only 5' 8" so I'm no Chief myself.

I need to go to army surplus as well...did the army surplus you went to have lots of pouches? Like, pouches for carrying ammo and stuff? mostly needing Warlock pouches.
Since there are no losers in cosplay I don't feel bad for cheating. :p
I wasn't looking for pouches so... Maybe? By JBLM there are several surplus stores. One of them should have what you're looking for.

SI3RRA 117 Don't want to make you feel bad, but Palmer is 6'9", so much taller than you. XD

PerniciousDuke I had to laugh so hard, hahaha. :D The height difference IS very visible when I look at the door and you. I'm curious how it'll affect the costume and your height there.

PS. I'm so sorry, but whenever I see a bat I immediately think about Negan and his precious Lucille. XD

Hmmm...yes I sense some camera shenanigans here...I bet the dog was in on it too...
I think I should get boots like those too....I could reach a tallness level the 405ths never seen before....

The game is a foot......or boot in this case. Me thinks the smile hides the truth......."They'll never know." and the proof is in the vent!!! .....if you look closely at the coloring.....if the camera was in the same location/height the coloring would be the same...however in the 2nd picture the shading of the upper grill slats of the vent is darker, indicating that you could see a little bit more into the vent shaft...which would be black since there is no light in there, hence the camera is not in the same position.

Inspector Lestrade, take him away. Come Watson....

You guys.. No shenanigans I promise. And let me tell you it feels awesome being taller! I wore them at work for a few minutes and people noticed right away. One of the tall girls I work with was pointing out all the things I had to keep from hitting my head on as we were walking around. It was pretty fun.

Update:

I made a new backing to my buck. It's just air dry clay from craft store. I was able to get the area around the buck to be more to my liking. Further tests showed that I will most likely need the heat gun and I'd like to trim the buck more to have it fit perfectly. I'll be at it again tomorrow.

20170628_193404_zpsxfmxzge9.jpg

Thanks for reading and for all the great comments!

Here's my last update photo compared with my current one:

Previous:
Progress5-30-17.png

Current:
Progress7-26-17.png

White/Grey = Nothing
Yellow = Pepping
Orange = Pepped
Red = Hardening
Blue = Shaping
Green = Painting/Rigging
Purple = Finished