EA thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavier

well, here we go in the game Army of Two (early 08) the two main combatants you will be fighting are called "Grunts" and "Elites"

Description of both from EA website

Grunts

Grunts are the basic level in ARMY of TWO. They are inaccurate, cowardly, and pretty easy to dispatch. In large numbers is where they pose their greatest threat. Grunts appear in every level of ARMY of TWO in their own form (i.e. Afghan grunts, US Army grunts, etc.).

Lightly armored, they usually fall after taking a few hits, or the ever popular headshot.

"Elites

Elites are the leaders of the grunts. Elites are far more accurate, confident, and wear better armor then their less fortunate brethren. The other big difference is that the elites can use some of the coop moves available to the player, such as riot shield, and drag partner.

The elites will also lead the grunts within a given level, barking orders at them and making them more efficient overall, so it’s in your best interest to dispatch them first. Elites are tougher to kill since they use cover more, and have better overall equipment.

Lastly, elites are mentally sharper and are more perceptive to your use of aggro and feigning death and they are much harder to fool."

sound familiar?

-X

Last edited by a moderator:
grunt and elite are very general terms, as far as video games using them as an enemy thats the most basic fighting unit? then halo stole it from warcraft.

thefreeman said:
grunt and elite are very general terms, as far as video games using them as an enemy thats the most basic fighting unit? then halo stole it from warcraft.

lmao, Halo had those description of grunts and elites in 2000 with Halo:CE, are you trying to tell me that WoW was before halo 1?

OMG EA, as if they don't have enough time to go through a dictionary and find other words they could use, tisk tisk.

Grunts and elites are used in way more then halo army of 2 and warcraft, they refer to many different things, even terrorists its a real world term, not from any game.

Dang EA >_> That's just lazy. I can understand the name, they're general terms, but the descriptions are waaayyy too similiar.

and Blizzard (makers of warcraft) stole all their ideas from the games workshop guys, makers of warhammer. And those titles were just taken from military terminology/slang. so who cares.

And I wouldn't call the way that the elites and grunts interact stealing from halo either. Because that's just basic thinking. "ok we've got 2 units. elites and grunts.. which one should lead the other around" It's not stealing any ideas from anyone, it's just common sense.

Everyone steals ideas from others anyways. It's just how the world works.

Though, in the art world it's called "using it for inspiration" :p

cgspartan said:
and Blizzard (makers of warcraft) stole all their ideas from the games workshop guys, makers of warhammer. And those titles were just taken from military terminology/slang. so who cares.

And I wouldn't call the way that the elites and grunts interact stealing from halo either. Because that's just basic thinking. "ok we've got 2 units. elites and grunts.. which one should lead the other around" It's not stealing any ideas from anyone, it's just common sense.

Everyone steals ideas from others anyways. It's just how the world works.

Though, in the art world it's called "using it for inspiration" :p

yes.. i realize that theres nothing "wrong" with what their doing, but you can see the very clear copies from halo, the most important one of them would be calling the relationship between Elites and Grunts "Brethren"

Okay... but, honestly, who really cares lol It's called marketing.

Resistance is a knock-off of Halo. If people love the idea of a game, then surely other companies will copy as much as they can - without infringement - to gain fans?

What's the difference between Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto. There's really not much difference there. Look at Splinter Cell and Mission Impossible. Look at Medal of Honor and Call of Duty.

"The term grunt is slang for an infantryman in the U.S. military and some of the other armed forces of the English speaking world, in both the Army and the Marines. The equipment laden soldiers were said to emit grunting sounds under the weight of modern combat equipment. Originally meant as a disparaging term, infantrymen now take pride in the label. It was coined during the Korean War."

Grunt and the description in the first post are very generic terms, I would only complain if the characters themselves showed similarties to the grunts in Halo.

"A military elite is a unit of soldiers or recruits picked for their competence and put in a special elite unit. Elite units enjoy some benefits as compared to other units, at least in the form of higher status, but often also higher pay and better equipment."

Once again, elite is a generic term. The description here and in the first post show some of the same points.

If you don't believe me, look it up on Wikipedia, and don't forget to check their sources.

Problem when making any character in a game, movie, or otherwise, is that it's nearly impossible to be completely original anymore as most GOOD ideas have already been done. Need examples, Matrix-bullet time, Halloween/Friday13th-Main Character, heck even Master Chief's designation SPARTAN is a reference to Greek history about an army's elite soldiers.

I try doing this every time I go to comment on someone's artistic work. I try and come up with an original idea for something artist, i.e. Movie Plot, Game Character, or short story. Then I try and think of anything that it might be recognizable with and odds are 100% of the time I'll think of something that already exists.

Point being, it's impossible to be truely original, but if you get to about 60% original you might have something there, work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back