Emile Foam Build-- NO PEPAKURA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The BorosBoss

Jr Member
***COSTUME IS COMPLETE**
Unfortunately, the pics don't work. However, you can find them at my instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/swaglock_brolmes/

Here are some pics of the completed costume:
emile front.jpgemile front fists out.jpgemile front standing.jpg
mms_picture (70).jpg
IMG_20151121_094702267.jpg

Here is the original thread; enjoy!

Hi everybody, I'm going to do a foam Emile armor build without pepakura due to lack of access to a computer that can run it. If you want to discuss tips or see pics or share your strategies, please post. I would love to hear from anybody who's done this or is planning it *without* peapkura. Where are my freehanders?

emile front.jpg

emile front fists out.jpg

emile front standing.jpg

IMG_20151121_094702267.jpg

mms_picture (70).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Freehand/scratch/foam builder here! Welcome to the site!

biggest thing I can say for scratch building, is take a LOT of reference pictures and have them easily accessible while building (personally I just use my phone, but I also have a dual monitor setup on my computer so I can access other media while indulging in some netflix while building haha). I like to go into forge with a couple players (don't actually need people, just controllers), generate some sniper rifles, and zoom in on your "dummy" players to get detailed shots of the armor. This really helps capture the fine details.

As for actually creating the armor... think ahead in how you are going to have to shape the foam, how joints are going to be made, and if you are going to have to angle your cuts.... it's way easier to cut a bevel into a large piece of foam than to just try to shave the edge of a piece already cut to size. Now when I am making small pieces that are easy to guess the shape and size, I just draw them out on the foam with a pen, and cut em out. For larger pieces, as to not waste foam if I get the scale or size wrong, I like to quickly cut it out of cereal boxes or other cardboard, tape it together, then hold it up to myself in the mirror to see if it looks right.... lots of trial and error here. I also use the cardboard method for more complex shapes. Once you get the part dialed in, you can easily cut the tape, and trace your cardboard templates onto the foam.

Good luck with your build!

Awesome, thanks! I've done other builds freehand that aren't foam. This is my first big foam one. Before, my medium was mostly cardboard and duct tape, with some cloth. I have a few Skyrim Dragon Priest costumes if you want to see the pix..
mms_picture (8).jpg
Also, I have made more masks than shown here but i gave away some..

Also, here is the visor. Having trouble about making/finding a base for it, considering an old bike helmet or an EVA foam copy of a Century/MACHO MMA sparring helmet.

First step: I had some trouble, but eventually found some plastic bowls online the right size(maybe 16in. across) and ordered more than 1 in case of error. Then, using a hacksaw, I cut it in half down the middle, sanded down the top rim, and glued along rim edge.
mms_picture.jpg
Step 2: Found where I wanted eyes/nose/mouth/skull etching to be relative to the rest of the helmet. I marked it with dry-erase marker, then covered the entire area in masking tape.
Step 3: Spray painted entire helmet with mostly gold, with hints of copper and silver paint.
Step 4: After peeling off the tape, I used my dremel tool to *VERY CAREFULLY* etch the skull into the helmet, carefully leaving clear spots for eyes/nose. After this the visor was complete.
mms_picture_2.jpgCREDS TO DALI DIY ON YOUTUBE FOR THIS IDEA, EXHIBITED IN HIS GUY-MANUEL DAFT PUNK HELMET VIDEO.
link:http://▶ 14:19 www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CWq4SeRNjA
He's cool, like & sub if you get the chance.
More updates on the way!

OK, Update for anyone who's following this: I think I have a way to make the back of the helmet. I have a piece of foam that I cut multiple triangular slivers out of, causing a domed shape. I have glued it after holding the incisions shut with binder clips(handy) and actually burned myself on the hot glue once or twice-- Ouch! Anyway, I have it plasti-dipped and sitting next to a can that will probably become one of the grenades on the grenade harness. for the grenade belt, I will probably use small "to-go" coke cans as they are just the right size, albeit without the domed top.
mms_picture (2).jpgmms_picture (3).jpg
NEXT- Chest/Backplate!
Also, ideas/links to posts on helpful posts on the Kukri knife prop would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Update: The chest! Couldn't find pics of the unassembled or un-plasti-dipped armor, so here it is rough and then also with the extra body glove parts. As soon as I have enough aluminum cans handy I will startthe grenade harness/belt, and I will probably do the other shoulder while waiting.
mms_picture_3.jpgmms_picture_2 (2).jpgmms_picture_4.jpg
also, pics of the right shoulder:
mms_picture (1).jpg
mms_picture (5).jpg
NEXT: Left shoulder and grenades
also: If it seems like I got this done really fast, I didn't; I did the work, stayed up, and posted the pics one at a time. Here is more or less the sum total of what I currently have:
mms_picture (4).jpg

Oh That is sweet. If you still have the template for the torso, could you post it? It would be a lot of help if you showed me how to do that torso, once again it looks sooooo cool.

I didn't use pepakura, because my chromebook can't run it, but would you like to see rough shapes? I can take a picture of the shapes on a paper and post it..
Have you done any cosplays before?
And are you doing any Spartan in particular or just a set of armor? Btw, if you're doing Emile, you might want to scale up the right shoulder a bit.. Or did you just want the vest part?
mms_picture (7).jpgmms_picture_2 (4).jpg
If you can't see the writing/where it comes together just tell me. For the partial undersuit, I used pieces of thin craft foam and put them along the edges.

Very little progress these past few weeks due to school and finals and studying, so not a lot of progress.. What I have been doing is developing the left shoulder, which I will be doing with acrylics and not spray paint due to a) details and b) my plasti-dip has run out and I have no time to get more. I have also been working the helmet a bit and getting the cans ready for the assault/sapper chestpiece. The helmet is proving to be a pain.. Can't get the structure right.

More progress! Finals this week so not a lot getting done, but I managed to get the left bicep put together (but not sanded), as well as the shoulder plate (which is a bit lopsided but easily rectified :D). However it will be a few days until I can get plasti dip for the bicep so I can't put the two together yet. Pictures!
mms_picture_2 (6).jpgmms_picture (12).jpg

Konahrik likes Halo too!

mms_picture (13).jpg
-TBB

UPDATE TIME!!!!
Anyone paying attention, I'm sorry for the late post. I was away for the first 2 weeks of summer but now I'm back! I plasti-dipped and spray painted the left bicep. I am also considering using magnets like the one I'm holding to attach some of the armor pieces. That way I can make a new piece, spray paint the old one, and avoid extra hassle. Pictures!
mms_picture_1.jpgmms_picture (15).jpg
If anyone has done this and and can advise me on it PLEASE tell me! If you've done it at all I would love a link to the post if you can do that.
Peace yall
-TBB

***POST-CON UPDATE:***
I should have just glued the sonnuvabish. It kept coming off every time I touched it at the con ;_;

mms_picture_1.jpg

mms_picture (15).jpg

Left bicep COMPLETE! The fridge magnets went well. I used my dremel vertically into the foam, the delicately smoothed out the cavity. The plate was a bit weirdly thin after sanding it down to make it fit with only one magnet, but it works. Totally pumped right now. Probably going to do the forearms next. Pictures!!
mms_picture (16).jpgmms_picture_1 (1).jpg
-TBB

Working the forearm. Just needs a bit more space in between the top and bottom wraparound part and some sanding to fix the rough areas. I will also probably trace these parts onto another foam piece before I put them together so that the other forearm will be as similar to this one as possible. Again, no pep :p. Pictures!
mms_picture (17).jpg
In addition to the metallic grey, I will leave some parts black and paint some parts silver. I have a good feeling about this. (Famous last words..)
Keep building!
-TBB
***UPDATE FROM THE FUTURE:***
It would have been batter to trace 2x each part for these; one came out way looser than the other and I ended up having to wear extra padding.

mms_picture (17).jpg

Forearm turned out better than I had hoped. It is a little large, but I can wear sweatbands or kettle guards or something underneath to help them stay where they are.I especially like the "screws" made with the Dremel. Unfortunately, I can't make the pieces to the second one yet because my amazon order hasn't gotten in yet :(
Anyhoo, pictures!
mms_picture (18).jpgmms_picture_1 (2).jpg
Next: Plasti-Dip, tape work & paint! Keep you posted
-TBB

OK! One forearm done, one to go. Looking really good, with a few acceptable blemishes. Lots of pictures!
Plasti-dip
mms_picture (19).jpgmms_picture_1 (3).jpg
Tape work
mms_picture_2 (7).jpgmms_picture_3 (3).jpg
Painted & finished
mms_picture (21).jpgmms_picture_1 (4).jpg
Special feature- Everything I have so far, plus undersuit. (Still need my armored gloves and a neck seal of some sort.) Looks better irl ;)
mms_picture (20).jpg
Probably going to do the belt/codpiece next. I'll post when I have enough cans for the grenade harness/belt.
Feeling good!
-tbb

Second forearm and breacher attachment done(still want more shells), attached via magnets, as well as black-painted Tornado Strike prop. Also, I finally have enough aluminum cans for the grenade harness! Problem is, I can't figure out how to rig straps.... HALP!
mms_picture (22).jpgmms_picture_1 (6).jpgmms_picture_2 (8).jpgmms_picture_3 (4).jpg

Lots of updates! Ok, I got the grenade harness completed and am planning to attach it to the wait piece/belt somehow. I also got my armored gloves in the mail...
Half-suit up & Grenade Harness (Pre-gloves)
mms_picture_2 (9).jpgmms_picture_3 (5).jpg

Armored Gloves
IMG951187.jpgIMG951186.jpg

I also lack a computer with pep viewer capabilities so I went searching and found Impactprops. They have some pretty basic halo 4 templates. Two things they lack are tutorials on how to put them together and a torso/back piece. You'll have to free hand those but the other stuff they have reference pics for you to piece the templates together! I hope this helps in some way!

Thing is, a chromebook (what I'm using) can't download/install any programs at all, so pretty much all the viewers are out.. :( However, the good people of the 405th have provided me with tons of refpix so it's good :D
thanks for actually looking at this thread, btw..

Well, I've been gone but now I'm back! Got the grenades for the belt done. only 6, and they're not great-looking, but I'm happy with them.
mms_picture (27).jpg

The mini water bottle in the background was a test of the colors. I will not be wearing it.
-TBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back