Enhanced DFT ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feelin the love Dirtguy, feelin the love

Andy-Ron-forced-hug.gif

Alrighty, time to revive this thread as I have every intention of finishing this build before Halloween. So here is where we are right now. All pieces are built, and sealed sans the helmet. With that, I used the DFT base pattern but for the cheeks, chin, and back of the helmet, I plan to use the foam Pep files from the armory. This gives me a bit of the simplicity and speed of the DFT build while somewhat keeping it consistent with the true ODST look.

Now, here is my dilemma. Color options. I put on a base coat of the primary colors last night and immediately thought "this is to Deadpool-ish". I asked my son what he thought and his response was "I don't know dad, whatever colors you want is good with me. Those colors are cool, but if you want to change it, I'm good with that also." Thanks bud, way to help out your ole man! :lol:

Disclaimer: this is just base colors. No weathering, shadowing, etc. has been added.

20190930_213728.jpg20190930_213748.jpg

My son will wear all black underneath the armor and I want to use bright colors for the pieces, but the red, black, grey just isn't doing it for me. I found this image online and like the color make-up. I am also contemplating using a hex template to "add" another layer, so there is that as well. If I do go this color route, I'll even keep the visor color the same as I think the white, red, blue seems to go well. Just hesitant with using white as a base color.

20191001_074737.png

Looking for some opinions on colors here folks. I have come to find that I can build the armor fairly well, but when it comes to color palettes, I draw a blank. GRRRRRR..........

Alrighty, time to revive this thread as I have every intention of finishing this build before Halloween. So here is where we are right now. All pieces are built, and sealed sans the helmet. With that, I used the DFT base pattern but for the cheeks, chin, and back of the helmet, I plan to use the foam Pep files from the armory. This gives me a bit of the simplicity and speed of the DFT build while somewhat keeping it consistent with the true ODST look.

Now, here is my dilemma. Color options. I put on a base coat of the primary colors last night and immediately thought "this is to Deadpool-ish". I asked my son what he thought and his response was "I don't know dad, whatever colors you want is good with me. Those colors are cool, but if you want to change it, I'm good with that also." Thanks bud, way to help out your ole man! :lol:

Disclaimer: this is just base colors. No weathering, shadowing, etc. has been added.

View attachment 278798View attachment 278797

My son will wear all black underneath the armor and I want to use bright colors for the pieces, but the red, black, grey just isn't doing it for me. I found this image online and like the color make-up. I am also contemplating using a hex template to "add" another layer, so there is that as well. If I do go this color route, I'll even keep the visor color the same as I think the white, red, blue seems to go well. Just hesitant with using white as a base color.

View attachment 278799

Looking for some opinions on colors here folks. I have come to find that I can build the armor fairly well, but when it comes to color palettes, I draw a blank. GRRRRRR..........
You could always add some black or grey lines throughout the armor peices to make it pop a little more and defuse the white. If you do chose to use white, a blackwash will mellow it out giving it more depth, but also eliminating the bright blank feel.

Personally, I know how you feel with the color pallet, and it is hard to design some th hung if you dont feel it. I suggest if you are set on the red white and plack pallet, make the suit mostly black with lots of white paneling and red detail. Something like this:

41rjdJz3kdL.jpg
gallery7543New_original_leather_riding_jacket.jpg
White_Black_Red_Motorcycle_Leather_Biker_Jacket-300x300.jpg

I know they are all jackets, but j think this gets the point across while giving subtle differences to influence ideas

xXDashIVXx THANKS! Those images are quite perfect. Being as his clothing underneath will be black, this defintiely gives me a starting point. Never thought to look up motorcycle racing leathers/gear. Thanks again!

I went run to Hobby Lobby for lunch and this is what I came up with (there is white on the page, I promise. It is at the bottom right of the image):

20191001_125436.jpg

-Base armor = Titanium White
-Raised areas = Graphite Grey
-Trim and small sections = Permanent Red
-Undersuit = All black

I'll bang out the other thigh tonight in this color palette and see how that looks, but I am liking this combo so far.

Feeling that halloween Crunch time? Don't worry so am I.

Yep. Working on my wife's build, my wife's float captain wants a wearable gingerbread house out of foam for Mardi Gras, and my son's build complete w/ fans and lights, and............... At some point, I still would like to make a few corrections and repairs to my own ODST armor!

When did this become a job! :unsure:

I swear, the ODST helmet is the bane of my existence when using foam! :mad: Converting the side cheek pieces from the armory onto a DFT helmet is proving to be a challenge, but it'll get there.

Update on the new color scheme:
I opted to try the more high end heavy bodied acrylic paint and am pleased with the results thus far. The titanium white went right over the red like it wasn't even there! I did need to thin it just a bit and ran into a couple of areas where it dried and blotched up (if that makes any sense). Going forward, I think I will base coat the pieces with the slightly thinned heavy body paints , then come back with an even thinner mix and airbrush the final coat(s) to give the whole piece a uniform appearance. Details will still be painted painstakingly by hand.

20191001_214804.jpg20191001_214744.jpg20191001_214724.jpg20191001_214710.jpg

Should have just used the foam file entirely! But honestly it's looking great. good job

You'd have to know my storied history of failed attempts in making this helmet out of foam. I can make a super clean rounded bevel cut that looks like it was done by a machine. Cut razor thin strips of foam? No problem. Try to make an ODST helmet out of foam? Can't tell you how much foam I've thrown away in failed attempts.

Using the DFT helmet template as a base, here is where we are now.

In keeping with the "I wonder if this could be done" model that I seem to place on myself, I traced out the intake points for the 5v blower type fans and cut them out where the cheek pieces will go. Similar to the way I mounted the fans in my ODST helmet, the plan is to duct from the cheek pieces to the rear of the helmet where the fans will be mounted and then push the cooler exterior air up and over the crown towards the front of the helmet. In theory, this should evacuate the air out of the helmet from the chin area. Everything will be powered by a portable battery back-up and I believe I will simplify that by just creating a manner in which my son can just wear it on a belt and run the wiring under his shirt.

The cheek pieces were a bit of a pain but I finally got them where they flow more along the lines of the actual ODST look. Next up will be the raised surround thingy along the rear of the helmet that ties in the back of the two cheek pieces and the front chin bubble area along with the forward raised cheek tie-in areas.

I have also taken the .20 PETG sheet and put on the blue/green mirrored vinyl to cure. A visor will be pepped from that and should contrast nicely against the White, black, red color palette.

Lastly, white base coats are on all pieces. A sealant coat is all that is left before painting in the various colors, weathering, etc. A buddy of mine's wife (the one who made the skull template for me on my build) banged out an ODST emblem template for me as well and this will ride front and center on the chest piece. The paint job was a quick impromptu attempt to make sure the template worked. If you replace the blue with red, that is what the final paint colors will look like on the piece but with far better quality.
20191009_204627.jpg20191009_204551.jpg20191009_204556.jpg20191009_212700.jpg20191009_212730.jpg20191008_181819.jpg20191009_215944.jpg

I'llThat looks great Elcorio, you got to tell me how you do that, you just cut out the shape and paint it or what? The stencil by the way. Teach me!

I'llThat looks great Elcorio, you got to tell me how you do that, you just cut out the shape and paint it or what? The stencil by the way. Teach me!

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit for that. A good friend of mine's wife has a cricut machine and I sent her the ODST image. Months ago I bought her a 25 pack of the plastic template sheets and anytime I need a template, she makes whatever I ask for. That and when my son outgrows this set, I already told them that their 5 year old little boy could have it.

She made me a 2 piece template and I airbrushed it on. With that being said, I did have to go back and paint in the banner lines and do quite a bit of touch up work due to the template not laying flat against the foam. It gave me a base and I went back and added the detailing. Definitely a trial of patience and fine detailing w/ a very small paintbrush. I suppose you could use the image and cut the same templates out using cardstock as an alternative. I'm just fortunate to have a connection.

20191013_162938.jpg

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit for that. A good friend of mine's wife has a cricut machine and I sent her the ODST image. Months ago I bought her a 25 pack of the plastic template sheets and anytime I need a template, she makes whatever I ask for. That and when my son outgrows this set, I already told them that their 5 year old little boy could have it.

She made me a 2 piece template and I airbrushed it on. With that being said, I did have to go back and paint in the banner lines and do quite a bit of touch up work due to the template not laying flat against the foam. It gave me a base and I went back and added the detailing. Definitely a trial of patience and fine detailing w/ a very small paintbrush. I suppose you could use the image and cut the same templates out using cardstock as an alternative. I'm just fortunate to have a connection.

View attachment 279500
Awesome, so what is a cricut thing?

Awesome, so what is a cricut thing?
Google: "Cricut is the brand-name of a product range of home die-cutting machines used for scrapbooking and various projects, made by Provo Craft & Novelty, Inc. of Spanish Fork, Utah. The machines are used for cutting paper, felt, vinyl, fabric and other products such as fondant."

It's like a printer but instead of it printing things, it cuts them out. I have heard it works with craft foam and pepakura too

Google: "Cricut is the brand-name of a product range of home die-cutting machines used for scrapbooking and various projects, made by Provo Craft & Novelty, Inc. of Spanish Fork, Utah. The machines are used for cutting paper, felt, vinyl, fabric and other products such as fondant."

It's like a printer but instead of it printing things, it cuts them out. I have heard it works with craft foam and pepakura too
You sir, made it to my good list! Thank you, hopefully you will see some progress from me with a cricut once I get it and well get use to it

Base colors are on the chest, shoulders, and helmet. I have to work this coming weekend and plan to knock out the forearms, ab plate, and lower pieces. Going to wait on the weathering and blackwashing until all pieces have base colors on.

Helmet came out exceptionally well with just a few hiccups. The top score line at the temple should have stopped and not carried all the way through. Oops, should have looked at reference images. The visor is not quite as mirrored as I would like, so I believe I will revert back to the mirrored window tint / blue translucent vinyl model that I used for my ODST visor. However, I do like the way the colors came out on the helmet.

While not exactly a huge fan of the DFT templates anymore, I will admit, it does make building armor sets for the kids fairly quick and they love them.

20191015_053155.jpg20191015_053304.jpg20191015_205826.jpg20191015_205835.jpg

About 95% complete. I absolutely despise the ab plate on these builds so I am going to change that entire area set up and follow more of the HALO 3 ODST look that my set has. The only exception is that instead of the rectangular center piece, I am going to put an actual red and white canvas first kit pouch there. The kit will then be filled with con friendly armor repair items. My son will literally be a medic at the con! I will also probably add the belt buckle as well. I really really don't like the whole solid ab plate thing!

Other items that still need to be completed are in the details. Fans and ducting in the helmet, shoulder straps and buckles. Not sure if the reach armor had hip plates, but will probably add those as well with grenades to kind of fill in the hip areas and make the armor set look a bit more complete. The shoulder pieces were quickly velcroed in place for Halloween, but I plan to sew up the bicep piece, make a spacer, and have his shoulder pieces ride like mine as well.

Despite all that being missing, he was super hyped to be walking around the neighborhood with me this evening. My only regret right now is not having a Master Chief set to wear. That would be really cool since the height difference would be more in line with the game and Spartans being taller than the average human. At least until he gets taller. LOL.

20191031_174354.jpg20191031_174340.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back