Epoxy, resin, and epoxy resin, whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShoeGum

I'm new here and I thought armor made of printed PLA would be easier than resin. But now I can see that Pepikura armor is the more cost effective choice. But I'm confused on what would be best to coat the armor in: epoxy, resin, or epoxy resin? and whats the difference? Is one superior in making armor or are there tradeoffs?

In polymer chemistry and materials science, a resin is a solid or highly viscous substance of plant or synthetic origin that is typically convertible into polymers.

Epoxy, or Epoxy Resin, is any of various artificial resins made of chains of epoxide rings.

So, all Epoxies are Resins, but not all Resins are Epoxies.

Epoxy is also often used as a short hand for a wide variety of two part adhesive compounds, that while used to assemble and attach various armor coponents, are not actually meant to be used to reinforce the armor itself.

Traditionally in the Pepakura method the folded cardstock is reinforced with Fiberglass cloth or Matt and a resin, usually a Polyester based, but any Resin that can permeate the fiberglass material will work. You can think of it like a concrete structure, the fiberglass is the Rebar, and the Resin is the concrete. When you go to a Big Box store, like Home Depot or Lowes, or an automotive store like Advance Autoparts you will often see the resin intended to be used with the Fiberglass Cloth or Matt listed as "Fiberglass Resin," but the Fiberglass material and the resin are two distinctive parts and this resin listed as "Fiberglass Resin" will invariably be the aforementioned Polyester based Resin.

Other folks will reinforce their Pepakura folks with a compound called "Rondo" which is a mixture of that Polyester Resin and Bondo brand Atomotive Body Filler.

There are many tutorials on the Pepakura method that I would recommend you read:

Upvote 0
In polymer chemistry and materials science, a resin is a solid or highly viscous substance of plant or synthetic origin that is typically convertible into polymers.

Epoxy, or Epoxy Resin, is any of various artificial resins made of chains of epoxide rings.

So, all Epoxies are Resins, but not all Resins are Epoxies.

Epoxy is also often used as a short hand for a wide variety of two part adhesive compounds, that while used to assemble and attach various armor coponents, are not actually meant to be used to reinforce the armor itself.

Traditionally in the Pepakura method the folded cardstock is reinforced with Fiberglass cloth or Matt and a resin, usually a Polyester based, but any Resin that can permeate the fiberglass material will work. You can think of it like a concrete structure, the fiberglass is the Rebar, and the Resin is the concrete. When you go to a Big Box store, like Home Depot or Lowes, or an automotive store like Advance Autoparts you will often see the resin intended to be used with the Fiberglass Cloth or Matt listed as "Fiberglass Resin," but the Fiberglass material and the resin are two distinctive parts and this resin listed as "Fiberglass Resin" will invariably be the aforementioned Polyester based Resin.

Other folks will reinforce their Pepakura folks with a compound called "Rondo" which is a mixture of that Polyester Resin and Bondo brand Atomotive Body Filler.

There are many tutorials on the Pepakura method that I would recommend you read:
This is more information than I was expecting, it really helped answer my question. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This is more information than I was expecting, it really helped answer my question. Thanks!
You can also check out the tutorial threads. The ones on Pepakura method will also talk about the product options.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back