Evangelion EVA Unit 01 foam build

Status
Not open for further replies.
got bored so I decided to work on the forearm blades

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

Very nice Fox, looking forward to this after my EVa build got hit with a N7 mine

N2* and thats sorry to hear. You should give it another shot. It is kinda weird being the only one doing this build. I have to think of everything myself.

No shame in using a jump-suit, but you may want to look for a cheaper one... $63 is a bit expensive for a suit, check ebay and amazon... possibly even party stores.

Picked up a xacto knife today, will help with cutting. hopefully better then that box razer and self defense knife Ive been using.

Has anyone ever tried their hand at sanding eva foam? that would really come in handy if it works. It is a huge pain in the but trying to cut foam at an edge and I have sanding attachments for my dremel.

I'm seriously thinking about doing something like this too. I don't have any experience though, which leaves me asking a lot of questions. The main one at the moment is how do you get those dimensions for the helmet? How do you tell what length, width or depth you need to make it realistic (and fit your head)?

I got all three Eva units as .obj files if you want them. I can't remember where I posted on here, I think it was on the pepakura request thread, but if you want them just pm me. Great work on the helm.

I don't know so much TheRabbit. I have seen lots of builds where people have sanded just fine. Now if they could just show us how they do it with out the stupid fraying! I have done some sanding and it seems it's the foam density that is a key factor. I have ordered my foam from different sources and they all seem to have varying properties. I had a go at sanding some of DBmikes foam and it was perfect for it where as mine frays like you mentioned. I guess it's trial and error foam testing till you get the right stuff. I think from what I have seen its the dark grey foam that seems to be sanded by the experts.

Suddenly lots of interest. I was getting tired of posting 3 times in a row!

I'm seriously thinking about doing something like this too. I don't have any experience though, which leaves me asking a lot of questions. The main one at the moment is how do you get those dimensions for the helmet? How do you tell what length, width or depth you need to make it realistic (and fit your head)?

the head, as it is, is about perfect size (the pepakura file) but like I said before after completion the hole is too small to fit a head full of hair through. after the bondo stage I will have to really sand it down to get me head through.

And thank you drack for the advice, I've never worked with foam before so this is all really new. I'm also trying to be conservative as I'm pretty broke and I don't want to waste what Ive got, and I think those forearm blades are dang near perfect, just need to clean up the connecting side and add the blade-like edges.

quick update: started working on the rib/ab plates. looking at Drack's second tutorial, I was able to get the perfect angle.

MCPhoto_20120731_160813.png

MCPhoto_20120731_160559.png

went through and entire stick of glue
MCPhoto_20120731_160622.png

Really clean looking fold! Is that the method where you use something like a soldering iron to melt the inside to crease the foam?

no its where you cut out a vally-ish piece without cutting all the way through the piece allowing you to fold it then glue the crease on the inside. normally its supposed to be entily closed but I needed it to be not as sharp.

I don't know so much TheRabbit. I have seen lots of builds where people have sanded just fine. Now if they could just show us how they do it with out the stupid fraying! I have done some sanding and it seems it's the foam density that is a key factor. I have ordered my foam from different sources and they all seem to have varying properties. I had a go at sanding some of DBmikes foam and it was perfect for it where as mine frays like you mentioned. I guess it's trial and error foam testing till you get the right stuff. I think from what I have seen its the dark grey foam that seems to be sanded by the experts.

What you can do to fix it is to run a heat gun over the frayed edges, it tightens up the foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back