Exacto-knife vs Scissors for pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snortellini

Hey everyone, I'm starting the first steps in my pepakura by doing some test cuts with an exacto-knife and scissors, it seems that scissors are easier to cut with. The exacto-knife just shreds the cardstock and doesn't cut at all. Is it because it's a used exacto-knife? Do I need a new exacto-knife for the pepakura cuts, or it is personal preference whether to use an exacto-knife or scissors?

It's personal preference - whatever you can get the more precise cuts quicker with.

You can use a empty pen (no ink left/doesn't write) to press into the fold lines to crease the paper there to make those easier. One thing to consider with using scissors is the wear and tear of the cutting motion on your thumb/index finger - watch out for blisters :)!

That would be a likely cause. Even after cutting 5 or so sheets of card stock I can tell the difference in the blade, though it'll last many, many more than that. Try a fresh blade before you make your decision, and also keep in mind that some pieces have interior sections that will be (nearly) impossible to get with a scissors, so a sharp knife is (nearly) essential. If you decide to go the scissors route after all, I've heard that hairdresser scissors are a good bet, being both incredibly sharp and very pointy.

Definitely personal preference, but I personally use the x-acto. I find I can be much more precise when it comes to making the cuts for the really detailed pieces for the HD models. I do go through blades pretty quick though. About 1 blade for every 10 sheets or so. But they are cheap. A.C. Moore, Michael's, Hobbytown USA, etc, sells the blades in a little black case like this:
2013-02-12_23-52-18_916_zps4081c450.jpg

Last time I was at Michael's to buy them they were like $6 for the case. I think it's 10 or 15 blades per case.

But as I said, it's all personal preference.

I use a box cutter. It lets me get a very very firm grip and be extremely exact with the pepakura. I'm not fond of the grip I can get for cutting with an exacto.

@Maverick_Hunter

Check out this knife:
2013-01-25_19-16-41_729.jpg

Made by Fiskars, uses the same #11 xacto blade as a traditional xacto knife. I use it on a regular basis for hours on end. I love it. Bought at Michael's for about $10 or so, maybe less. Worth a look.

i use scissors for my long straight cuts and an exacto with a fresh blade for the more difficult to access areas. i always use an exacto for the scoring, that takes a cxertain level of feel to get that right.

i use scissors for my long straight cuts and an exacto with a fresh blade for the more difficult to access areas. i always use an exacto for the scoring, that takes a cxertain level of feel to get that right.

well, i can see that sonny beat me to this one...i use the exact method mentioned by him.

I too use the same method. Knife for ones that have a lot of flaps and scissors for ones that have no flaps. Instead of using something to score the piece, I use a ruler and bend it around the edge.

0aeb2bf8370eb98345195cd13e8536e2_zps8ee0cba2.jpg

Just a tip you can also re-sharpen your xacto blades with a fine nail file. I've been using the same pack of blades since I started, so almost 2 yrs now.

Maybe it is because I am a noob, but I think I have had to replace one blade so far (cutting 3 helmets, 3 forearms, 3 handplates and one shin so far...damn sizing impairment :) ). I will say that I have gotten better at free-hand cutting, only using a ruler for really long cuts and when I score the lines. It certainly has sped up my cutting - on my first helmet I was constantly re-positioning an 18" ruler for every cut :(...YMMV

Just another tip, some might know this one already. But for tabs, it does not matter if they are straight so don't waste time getting them perfect. Your just going to hide them anyway, so just make sure all the other lines are straight and quickly and ruffly cut the tabs.

Last time I was at Michael's to buy them they were like $6 for the case. I think it's 10 or 15 blades per case.

But as I said, it's all personal preference.

If you don't like the price of that, you can hit up EBay for scalpel blades - You can get 100 of them for $8. I'd recommend that if you're going to be cutting foam as foam dulls blades quickly and dull blades are the death of clean lines on a foam build.

I use what I believe are surgical scissors. They are very small and have a sharp point. They work well for getting into small areas, and were they won't go i use an xacto knife. For the large pieces or very simple pieces a regular pair of scissors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back