Excallibacca's Mark VI Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been working on this off and on for the past three Sundays. I'm also trying to help my buddy build a table, so I'm flopping back and forth between things.

Progress has been decent, I've got most everything resined two layers on the outside, and today I started with fiberglassing insides. My first attempt was god-awful. Keep in mind this was my first try at it, and that I didn't finish the ab plate when I took this. Used way too much resin.

IMG_1944.jpg

So, I moved on to another small piece, toe tip to a boot. It turned out alot nicer. Again, I took this picture part way through and finished it after, but you can see I did a much better job than on the ab plate. Ignore the fact that I'm not wearing shoes, please. And yes, that is a tattoo on my foot. It is an angel.

IMG_8175.jpg

A few more shots, no warpage really. You will notice in some of them that some pieces are darker than others. I chalk that up to the first pack of cardstock I bought being VERY off-white and the second pack being white. Also pictured, our poker table in progress!

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

We tried not to kill the bull with resin fumes.

IMG_5349.jpg

Decided to go a different route and make the FlyingSquirrel helmet. I needed a larger helmet anyways, so, why not?

Two hours, my Craft Robo has cut out everything except the supports and I am here

IMG_9565.jpg

Excellelent work!

I see that you have a Craft Robo! I still need to save up for one of those.

Did the cow survive? or has it become "Steak"

Ahhh fiberglassing... I hated that part. Stinky, sticky and very messy.

Excellent work! Keep up the fantastic work.

:)

niiice you are making good progress, I've really gotta get to the resining phase but uggh i am NOT looking forward to it. Everythings looking really clean and good, but I have a quick question for ya; how important do you think support structures are? Because I honestly didnt print out like, any of them for any of my pieces >.<

Keep it up!

niiice you are making good progress, I've really gotta get to the resining phase but uggh i am NOT looking forward to it. Everythings looking really clean and good, but I have a quick question for ya; how important do you think support structures are? Because I honestly didnt print out like, any of them for any of my pieces >.<

Keep it up!

On some things, like the forearms and shins, I am not using supports. Instead, I am using 2-liter soda bottles as much more rigid support. When it comes to the helmet, it's going to be a must, the shoulders really need them, and I'm making my own support structure for the chest out of balsa. Because I am not re-pepping that thing.

Edit: Also, when it comes down to respirators, don't trust anyone you talk to at Lowe's or Home Depot. My buddy Mike uses a respirator 12 days a week at work, and schooled me on what I needed. The people at Lowe's and Home Depot just....didn't. Try a local workplace safety store or hit me up when you go to buy one. :D

Excellelent work!

I see that you have a Craft Robo! I still need to save up for one of those.

Did the cow survive? or has it become "Steak"

Ahhh fiberglassing... I hated that part. Stinky, sticky and very messy.

Excellent work! Keep up the fantastic work.

:)

Thank you VERY MUCH, sir. Glad to have your approval ;)

When/if you do get a Craft Robo, there are some adjustments you might need to make to calibrate the machine that take a lot of patience and that I haven't seen anyone refer to on this site. I basically figured that out one night with a buddy of mine. I'd be glad to offer you my services in exchange for that paint reference. I think that's the color I was eyeballing in Lowe's the other day, I thought it might be a bit too dark. However, it's probably better than shelling out $70 for 4 cans of custom color spray paint.

As for Sir Loin (the bull), he's still a youngin, but one day I hope he is even tastier than that pig they slaughtered a few weeks ago turned out to be. Not that the pig wasn't tasty...I can just taste fresh steaks now and MAN....

On some things, like the forearms and shins, I am not using supports. Instead, I am using 2-liter soda bottles as much more rigid support. When it comes to the helmet, it's going to be a must, the shoulders really need them, and I'm making my own support structure for the chest out of balsa. Because I am not re-pepping that thing.

Thank you VERY MUCH, sir. Glad to have your approval ;)

When/if you do get a Craft Robo, there are some adjustments you might need to make to calibrate the machine that take a lot of patience and that I haven't seen anyone refer to on this site. I basically figured that out one night with a buddy of mine. I'd be glad to offer you my services in exchange for that paint reference. I think that's the color I was eyeballing in Lowe's the other day, I thought it might be a bit too dark. However, it's probably better than shelling out $70 for 4 cans of custom color spray paint.

If you want to achieve the exact color (base coat) that my suit has. Use a gray primer for your primer. I think up here in Canada its $12.00 per spray can.

Thanks! I just might take you up on that offer. Once I manage to get one. :)

Thanks everyone. I've sort of been flopping between this and a poker table project I mentioned earlier. I know how I am and if I try to do all of the armor at once, I'll rush it, and that would SUCK! There's an offer on the table for some cash for the Halo CEA launch, but I'm just shooting for the first week of December instead. I'd like to have it ready for some Toys for Tots events locally. The money isn't my goal here.

Thanks everyone. I've sort of been flopping between this and a poker table project I mentioned earlier. I know how I am and if I try to do all of the armor at once, I'll rush it, and that would SUCK! There's an offer on the table for some cash for the Halo CEA launch, but I'm just shooting for the first week of December instead. I'd like to have it ready for some Toys for Tots events locally. The money isn't my goal here.

Thats smart of you to set a completion date..I really should be doing that as well, plus winter is rapidly approaching and Ive heard that you cant resin or anything in the winter because its too cold

I agree. Know your goals and know your barriers to those goals. Don't rush it.
Moving your dealine to December is a solution to avoiding "rushing it."

Kudo's :)

Hey There!

Ok, I was thinking, "What! No lines on his Pepwork? Huh?" Then I saw you have a Craftrobo..... OOO! OOO! OOO! I am SOOO jeolous! I need a "Foldrobo" about now...

Looks like your project is coming out great! Have you decided on how you will mount that ab plate?

Hey There!

Ok, I was thinking, "What! No lines on his Pepwork? Huh?" Then I saw you have a Craftrobo..... OOO! OOO! OOO! I am SOOO jeolous! I need a "Foldrobo" about now...

Looks like your project is coming out great! Have you decided on how you will mount that ab plate?

I haven't even considered the ab plate yet, probably just going to end up strapping it like everything else so it moves freely.

UPDATE:

I went on a vacation to Arizona for my sister's birthday and have been lazily doing no work on my armor. I'll be back at it after the holidays though! Work, this time of year, is very very hectic and I just want to sleep on my days off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back