Extreme N00b undertaking huge project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Fantasy

Last year after Pensacon, my husband decided he wanted to do Halo costumes next year. We found the 405th's table at the con and here I am. Also, a user on a facebook cosplay page suggested I just post and ask for help. So...

What I'm making:
One at a time, so that I can at least get one completed if not all, but... The hubby wants to be a Mark VI Spartan, I want to be a grunt (I'm female), and I was hoping to make an Elite for our 8 year old son.

My experience:
I've NEVER done any kind of armor before. My crafting skills are... moderate, I guess. I can do a little sewing by hand and machine. I've made plushes, jewelry, and costumes. Most of my costumes started with thrift store clothes that I modified. I have sewn a cape and a Death cloak from patterns. I've done a little with sheet foam like you get in kids crafts. I'm always willing to learn and try things, but I think my husband has more confidence in my abilities than I do. :p

What I need help with:
Um, basically everything? First and foremost, what materials I need? I've downloaded Pepakura but beyond that I'm not sure where to go. I had a friend that made a helmet from pepakura, paper, and fiberglass, but it seemed a bit too small for him and I don't want to end up with that. He did the rest of the armor in foam. The person from the cosplay group said foam was better. I guess I need foam and a heat knife and...? Is there a resource for people starting completely from scratch?

Oh, and, um, hello! Call me Fantasy or Blue, doesn't matter.

Welcome to the 405th Blue Fantasy!

What I need help with:
Um, basically everything? First and foremost, what materials I need? I've downloaded Pepakura but beyond that I'm not sure where to go. I had a friend that made a helmet from pepakura, paper, and fiberglass, but it seemed a bit too small for him and I don't want to end up with that. He did the rest of the armor in foam. The person from the cosplay group said foam was better. I guess I need foam and a heat knife and...? Is there a resource for people starting completely from scratch?

For starting from absolute zero, which by the sounds of it you have some experience, I'd recommend checking out some of the FAQs and tutorials linked in the New Member Index. There's a load of valuable information and build threads there that'll help to get you a feel for the different types of builds that people traditionally do for armour.

Foam is generally quicker to build with, easier isn't necessarily true and better is definitely an outright lie. Every material has it's own strengths and weaknesses along with skillsets required to make the build look good but no one way is better overall.

If you have any specific questions, lurk around a bit, ask questions in threads or direct message a member. Researching how to make things and how to improve your techniques is probably the most important part of any project so you're already headed in the right direction by doing this shout out to the crowd for help.

We can certainly help. We are looking to start armor parties this summer in the Pensacola area to help people like you.

Thanks, guys, for the help! I'll be sure to check it out! I haven't been able to start yet like I wanted to. Hopefully after we take a vacation and the kids' birthdays are out of the way I can really get on it.

Personally I would start with foam, namely due it being a tad more forgiving than pepakura. With pepakura you have to make sure to scale it to fit you, after you scale it to fit you I have learned add an inch or two to allow for shrinkage when applying resin and have space for padding. There are lots of tips and tutorials on how to scale pepakura files. With either one you choose start with something small like a handplate so you can get a feel for the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back