Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
mblackwell1002 I just stocked up. XD Bought 7 of the new cans. It should probably be enough for the rest of the armor... ;)

vivalablake89 Thnak you. ;) It's nice, I admit, everything has pros and cons, but I really enjoy adding those details with foam. Much faster and easier... Bondo would have been so slow and so troublesome. :(

-//- UPDATE -//-

New paints arrived! I've been waiting with finishing paiting the thigh for the new paints... Reason? What IF the color wasn't close enough? I wouldn't want to redo the whole paintjob so far, but also I wouldn't want to have my armor colors not matching... I had in mind that I might have to repaint something if they don't match. So that's the reason I waited.
It seems the color is pretty much the same! Can spot the color difference? No? Me neither. :D
Another great thing? They leave a bit rough surface, it's really interesting effect. My new favorite paints! <3
Now, my motivation is mostly back. :3

DSC02806.JPG
DSC02807.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been bit lazy lately I admit... and doing stuff I shouldn't... ekhem Kait ekhem...

BUT I've been working on the internals of the helmet. I rather want them to be finished before I'll paint and finish the outside.

SEE?! I'm an egghead now! I can solder stuff now! I've soldered the fans to the battery packs.
My first major soldering job XD Earlier I had to solder once or twice a cable that went loose on the lights... never full cables. XD

DSC02831.JPG

It may not be as visible here, but I've done "pouches" for batteries out of 2mm EVA foam, so they'll fit snuggly and stay in place. Put them in the back as counter balance because fans will be in the front and also so the helmet won't slide to the front. Sure the front doesn't have any space that could fit battery packs... but I planned it from the start.

Also, I've done a little bit of work on that headband thing. I've added a piece of 5mm foam on the very top and few 2mm pieces on the sides. Will have to correctly align it and permanently attach it.
Also have to do proper parts for the cheeks with upholstery foam.
And now permanently attach the fans on to the top and one on the bottom.

By the way, as you can see the inside of the helmet is pretty... crude. Most people stuff the helmets full with EVA/upholstery foam. Why won't I do it but rather use that headband?
Airflow.
Sure it isn't much, but foam makes you warmer and I want to prevent it as much as I can.
It may not be hot, but overall if you just sit and cover your arm with foam, it will get warm immediately... and that's just an example.
That's why I rather use as little foam as I possibly can and rather have that headband to secure the helmet on my head and also preventing heating up too much.

DSC02832.JPG

Alright! I think I'm finished with the inside! Those two fans are doing wonders from what I've been testing. I just need to get used to the buzzing of them. While they are quiet from the outside, inside the helmet I hear the buzzing the whole time...
But thost fans are lifesavers... Oh, and visor mock-up because I'm gonna paint the helmet first.

DSC02840.JPG

Selfie time! First time with the almost finished helmet and chest piece I believe. :)
Everything looks nice together, pretty much the perfect size... Nice, just have to improve that chest. ^^

DSC02847.JPG

Also foam....any type of foam will be a sound dampener....making it harder to hear and be heard. The set up is not unlike one I plan on installing in my helmet since the top and sides are so oddly shaped for a full foam install....it would also make installing fans and lights that much more difficult.

Dirtdives Actually I did use foam! :D I covered the whole case in 2mm foam, plus I added "pegs" from 5mm foam on which I secured the fans, so they get most airflow possible. :)
From the outside you can't hear anything, just inside... but yeah, I guess just gotta get used to it. Those are 5V fans anyway.

The fans are quite nice TBH, the fan on top is blowing on my forehead and the visor and fan on the bottom is blowing onto my chin, lips up to the nose.
So, I rather prefer this setup instead having two fans on sides blowing on cheeks and eyes. :D

Agreed.....you do need some foam but w/o using a helmet liner, more foam is needed. That is where/when the heat and sound retention is at it worst.

you're not understanding what I'm saying.....the strap system you installed (which you called a "headband thing") is a helmet liner or to be more precise, a helmet insert.....and you don't need more foam.......unless you don't have one of those....then the helmet will get hot and you can't hear very well because of the foam....that's my point....not that you need more foam.

Oh, I didn't understand your last reply. I said I didn't want to use any foam, or rather only as much as I have to, hence that helmet liner thing. Instead of helmet inserts, foam padding and all those other things. o.o
Sorry, I understood you meant I need to use foam.

Not really an armor update... but I've upgraded my room! +50 to organized space!
It' been getting so chaotic, which has started slowing me down. Much of the stuff was just laying around earlier, but I'm finally upgrading and getting it all organized.
VERY helpful as I don't have actual workshop as many people do, so I store pretty much everything in my room...
Currently filling it with all the possible stuff.

DSC02892.JPG

Also, not armor related, but I've finished my McFarlane Linda custom figure!

DSC02884.JPG
DSC02888.JPG

Oh nice helmet liner. That is the same method I was hoping to try... borrow one from an unused construction helmet.

Great work as usual.. On the room upgrade... couldn't you have just put the armor inside the closet instead of putting a shelf in front of the closet. ;P

Oh nice helmet liner. That is the same method I was hoping to try... borrow one from an unused construction helmet.

Great work as usual.. On the room upgrade... couldn't you have just put the armor inside the closet instead of putting a shelf in front of the closet. ;P

I don't think that would be a good idea. They're Hunters inside.

Last edited:
I don't have a locker room or anything... My locker is litterally just a tiny bit bigger than this stand... . _ .

=// UPDATE \\=

My pile of shame... I *hate* masking. And that thigh piece is so damn big and required so much masking... V_V Should have finished that over a week ago. So you see how much it took me to gather myself and finally do it.
1f611.png
-_- Still, one last stage - the red markings are still missing...

DSC02928.JPG
DSC02929.JPG

Also, made this video with tips on how to cut out and assemble pepakura pieces fast, easy and efficiently:

Thigh came out great tho.....I agree masking is the worst. If I may...... how are you stenciling out your red markings?

it just sunk in how much mas my armour is going to suck.... but your armour is looking great, how do you make the detail lines in the armour?

SI3RRA 117 I make them digital, then print them out, cut out and use as template which I draw on tape and cut out and spray paint.

Spartan55 Why would your armor ever suck . _ .

SavedbyGraceG12 Yeah, I suck I know. ^^

// UPDATE:

Yay, the right thigh is now all done and prepared for weathering and finishing. Working on left thigh and will start to strip down paint from shins too...

DSC02931.JPG
DSC02932.JPG

CommanderPalmer- quick question for you, why don't you paint the foam details before you put them on? I feel like that would save you from having to mask nearly as much. It would also make the edges perfect so there would be no need for small touch up work either.

I'm sure there is a good reason for your process, I'm just curious.

I'd like to also say your build looks pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back