Fiberglass Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmiller

Jr Member
When I used Crackhead's method of fiberglassing (dipping strips of fiberglass in resin then attaching them) My piece was strong. When I tried to save myself time by gluing in the fiberglass then resining over it, it was not nearly as strong. Do you guys think it's because of the method or just not enough fiberglass?

EDIT

I decided to just re do a second layer over the existing fiberglass using crackhead's method. The only problem is Crackheads method uses ALOT of Resin

oh wow... i never thought about glue-ing fiberglass on to the model!!! could have prevent alot of these rough edges

Well, The reason why crackhead's method is stronger is simply because theres more resin

JackSkelling10 said:
When I used Crackhead's method of fiberglassing (dipping strips of fiberglass in resin then attaching them) My piece was strong. When I tried to save myself time by gluing in the fiberglass then resining over it, it was not nearly as strong. Do you guys think it's because of the method or just not enough fiberglass?

EDIT

I decided to just re do a second layer over the existing fiberglass using crackhead's method. The only problem is Crackheads method uses ALOT of Resin

I use resin and fiberglass for most, if not all of my castings and never had issues with strength or breaks...so maybe this might help.

My method is to use a combination of resin and powder, mixed well with hardener and poured into the mold. This is then continuously 'slushed' around to evenly cover out the entire mold surface. This is done till the resin/powder dries/hardens up [a little tacky to the touch], i'll start layin in fiberglass matting and 'glueing' em down with just pure resin and less hardener [allows for more time to carefully lay in the matting before the resin dries too fast]. Same dry timing as before, once tacky, I'll prepare another combi of both resin and powder, and slush it again one more time. This will create a 'sandwich' layer of resin/powder, fiberglass and resin/powder.

Some detailed info on the slush method, using the slush method with the appropriate amount of resin and powder will result in less wastage of the resin, and promote lightness in the cast, while keeping the strength. The powder allows for easier sanding then just pure resin. The sandwich layer also means that the last layer of resin/powder, gives the inside of the cast, the part that actually touches your skin/head/body etc, a smooth finish and no worries about the fiberglass matting.

Hope that helps.

Stay safe,

Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
(y)
JackSkelling10 said:
When I used Crackhead's method of fiberglassing (dipping strips of fiberglass in resin then attaching them) My piece was strong. When I tried to save myself time by gluing in the fiberglass then resining over it, it was not nearly as strong.

The problem I had on my first piece (a handplate) was that the spray glue prevented the resin from soaking into or "wetting out" the fiberglass cloth where the glue was. I'll try to explain this a little better:

You know how the fiberglass cloth looks kind of white before resin, but turns almost transparent once resined? Well, the finised fiberglass looked good on the inside of plate, but when I was sanding the outside it felt a little soft. So I sanded down through the layer of paper, and the fiberglass cloth still had that white look to it. What I figured happened was that the spray glue kind of "sealed" the fiberglass filaments and the resin didn't soak in.

JackSkelling10 said:
Do you guys think it's because of the method or just not enough fiberglass? EDITI decided to just re do a second layer over the existing fiberglass using crackhead's method. The only problem is Crackheads method uses ALOT of Resin

Not to take anything away from crackhead,(the guy who gave us the HD shins, thighs, & cod) but I have found that using less resin is actually better when glassing. On my second piece, a HD Mk VI helmet, I had alot of problems with air pockets in the cloth. I kept adding more resin to try to get the cloth to "stick", but the bubbles still came back. This was easily fixed by dremeling out the spot afterwards and patching with some glass & resin, but I wanted to stop it from happening in the first place. So off to Google for some answers.

What I found out, was that fiberglass cloth is classified and sold by ounces. The ounce designation is how many ounces of resin it takes to properly "wet out" 1 square yard of cloth. I've read that in critical applications, the square yardage of fabric is calculated, then resin is very carefully measured out to ensure th correct amount. Too little will leave dry spots, too much resin will signifcantly increase weight with minimal strength gain.

Armor building in not exactly a "critical application" but what I do is paint on a medium to heavy layer of resin, then lay 2 X 2 or 2 X 3 inch squares cloth on the wet area, and without dipping my brush again, tap the cloth with my brush until the glass starts to become transparent. Then I lightly dip my brush and hit any spots that look dry. As a result, my latest pieces are way lighter, just as strong, and way cleaner looking than my earlier attempts.

One con to this method is that I use alot more brushes, but you can get them HERE for about .20 each and you can reduce the amount of hardener by a drop or two to give you a little more time with each small batch.

BTW: I have been told that the that the Bondo brand cloth I buy at walmart or home depot is 4 ounce cloth, just to give you an idea of how little resin is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did what you did glue into then resin.

This is the short version: By gluing it, it prevents the resin from going through and you get air bubbles. Trust me, I know.

The best way may just be resin the inside and stick the cloth pieces to the sides from the resin. That should keep the air bubbles out and should make it strong. Oh and then put some resin over top.

I've been doing crackhead's method of dipping the pieces as well. But this sounds like a much better idea.

I've been using fiberglass matte. Is fiberglass cloth a better idea?

Yes and no. Clothe comes cleaner (of course both need to be cleaned up) but isn't as strong as mat. :/ also I don't think clothe gets all over you like mat does, but I'm not sure. Again, mat is much stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back