Fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 270

Ok so my parents finally let me use fiberglass and I got some questions.

Is there a chance of it like deforming the armor of something?

How long does it take to fully dry?

Will it affect ducktape? (cause most of my armor has ducktape)

Can someone answer these questions because I dont want to destroy my armor.

elmers glue the glass on in pieces, cover the main area, you dont need to glass every nook and cranny, just get it in there, and push it to conform to the shape, it will take corners and odd shapes easily. WEAR GLOVES>

Then after that, resin over it. The layer of resin under it (meaning you resined the inside of the armor then let it dry), the resin should sandwhich the fiberglass and make the piece strong.

It takes 2-3 hours in a summer sun, and maybe 8 hours in the cold winter, maybe a few days.

SpArtan-270 said:
Ok so my parents finally let me use fiberglass and I got some questions.

Can someone answer these questions because I dont want to destroy my armor.
Oh sure this guy says something about fiberglass which is posted ALL over 405th with 700 posts and you say "Right away sir"
I ask about very specific materials for molding with 250 posts and I get raped for it.

1.If the armour is weak to begin with. If it is made with paper or weak cardstock then it will. If its 110lb and had a layer of resin hardened on it previously then no.

2.A while. Should be a day for it to be moveable, but a few days is best.

3.I believe it eats right through ducttape.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpArtan-270 said:
Put a couple coats of resin first to stiffen and harden your armor. Then put fiberglass and layer it with resin.

Assuming that you followed the directions regarding the amount of hardener, it should take a couple of hours or so at room temperature for it to cure enough to handle. However, I recommend that you let it sit for a day or two with lots of air circulation. It will eliminate that stinky smell associated with resins.

BTW, the directions on Bondo resins recommend that you use 12 drops of hardener for every ounce of resin. I find this a bit much when I work with 2-oz batches. They start hardening up before I can use them all up so I only use 10 drops per ounce. Of course, YMMV.

Dunno. I never use duct tape, or for that matter any tape, on my armor.

CemreTas said:
Oh sure this guy says something about fiberglass which is posted ALL over 405th with 700 posts and you say "Right away sir"
I ask about very specific materials for molding with 250 posts and I get raped for it.

1.If the armour is weak to begin with. If it is made with paper or weak cardstock then it will. If its 110lb and had a layer of resin hardened on it previously then no.

2.A while. Should be a day for it to be moveable, but a few days is best.

3.I believe it eats right through ducttape.
1 question vs 500 of yours.

I'm not answering a world of questions for you, but something simple like this I will.

Btw, dont bring your hate into someone elses forum, keep it in PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back