First attempt at a suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawk94

Hello everyone. Names Nick, im 21 from California. Ive been fascinated with Halo ever since i got Halo CE for the original xbox back when i was a kid. My wife had recently asked if i wanted to cosplay with her at a Con in two weeks. I am using Andrew DTF's designs that i greatly appreciate.
So this is my ODST build that im trying to finish. Have the top half done. The base of the chest is an airsoft vest that with velcro i can configure everything to my liking.
e133aded80cf5364887c4ba6d53e5f84.jpg

The rifle is airsoft that i am just posing with, wont be taking that with me lol.
367aa4c7e6d4debdd6d7ada27385be97.jpg

The helmet im still trying to detail. Up close you can see all the imperfections but from a distance it looks alright. For being my first build i am content
3c8dfd4ef50ddb16c12cd3b102236f0c.jpg

Ill be adding pictures as i go. Please feel free to help me out with tips and such.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• e133aded80cf5364887c4ba6d53e5f84.jpg
    e133aded80cf5364887c4ba6d53e5f84.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 367aa4c7e6d4debdd6d7ada27385be97.jpg
    367aa4c7e6d4debdd6d7ada27385be97.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 3c8dfd4ef50ddb16c12cd3b102236f0c.jpg
    3c8dfd4ef50ddb16c12cd3b102236f0c.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 159
Looking good so far. The vest works really well. That extra glue is pretty easy to get rid of if you have a hot knife.

What I wouldn't give to have a wife who asked me to cosplay. All I get is a look from my wife where I know she thinks I am 10 years old. That's okay though, my kids think I'm awesome.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

If you're trying to "detail up" sections you should definitely look into thin craft foam sheets.

I based my armour of the Andrew DFT design as well but with some modifications because I didn't really trust the durability of the armour pieces after carving out sections and setting them on different levels after already being shaped and heat formed. Thin foam layers for raised detail does wonders and preserves what strength there is in the shapes, plus you can use it to hide some uneven seams in certain parts. Another thing to look into perhaps is some contact cement for joining foam since it's more resilient than hot glue and leaves a cleaner finish overall.

Thanks for the support. I am very lucky to have my wife. Thehot knife idea sounds great, i think im going to fill the gaps with hot glue and then cut the excess off. I have been using thin craft foam, will add more detail with it when i have time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You may want to fill in the gaps with something like Quik Seal Plus as it is sandable.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

You may want to fill in the gaps with something like Quik Seal Plus as it is sandable.

Probably the best advice. Hot glue for gap filling has the tendency to bubble out and make the gap look worse than before and just in general be a pain and leave stains that can be difficult to mask even after painting.

Looks good! Love seeing more of us who used Andrew's ODST build :) I'd second some filler and sanding. Otherwise, it looks fantastic! Love that your wife asked you to cosplay with her too :D

Hey, it looks pretty good!

I also have used qwik seal but I haven't sanded it... what I do is I make sure I have a little container of water I can keep my finger wet with and ill put the qwik seal in the problem areas and spread it with a piece of scrap foam and then get my wet finger and rub out any of the excess. I also have a rag nearby to dry up the water. You have to be careful not to get water in the cracks, though. I do it on every seam just to give it more of a joined look if that makes sense. Thought I'd share how I do it! I learned the qwik seal techniques from an Evil Ted Smith video by the way.

Keep up the good work! You're doing a great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back