First build: Foam halo reach custom spartan (probably Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with tyrant, craft foam is a godsend. I just found some in my area for a good price and it's really nice to work with

I agree with tyrant, craft foam is a godsend. I just found some in my area for a good price and it's really nice to work with
Yeah, i looked into it, and there seems to be some in my area... they are about 16 pieces of 30x30 cm craft foam for about 10 us dollars... reasonable price?
I'm not really sure what i would use it for yet though... Could it be useful for the chestpiece?
Also, the soft black areas inside the chest needs to be some sort of material... Any ideas? ^^'

First off nice work on the suit so far. Good to see you tackled the helmet with foam as I think I was the second to do this on an MK VI, or at least the second to get recoganised. The first was done ages ago by Longshot I think.
If you are wondering what the foamies will come in handy for check my MK VI build, the chest is 2-3 pages in, I used some on mine. I did use some on other parts of the suit but not sure if it's apparent from the pics though. I know you will be going for a different chest than me but it may give you an idea on what sort of parts they will be best for.

Buy them because they will come in handy for lots of the thinner details you will/may be doing.

I wish you the best of luck with your build and gunna hit this one up on my subscriptions to see how you get on :)
Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Tyrant would be better at helping you with that, im a foam nubcake. But from my understanding you use it to create finer detail and smaller assemblies. And yes that is about in line with what im paying over here in canadaland

First off nice work on the suit so far. Good to see you tackled the helmet with foam as I think I was the second to do this on an MK VI, or at least the second to get recoganised. The first was done ages ago by Longshot I think.
If you are wondering what the foamies will come in handy for check my MK VI build, the chest is 2-3 pages in, I used some on mine. I did use some on other parts of the suit but not sure if it's apparent from the pics though. I know you will be going for a different chest than me but it may give you an idea on what sort of parts they will be best for.

Buy them because they will come in handy for lots of the thinner details you will/may be doing.

I wish you the best of luck with your build and gunna hit this one up on my subscriptions to see how you get on :)
Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Thanks! After checking out your build, that really means a lot, cause you are a freaking god when it comes to foamwork! Jeez xD
I will definitely check out craft foam... I think it can be pretty damn useful for a lot of things... It might even solve my tacpad issue xD
Thanks for the tips guys ^^'

Oh, and drack... since you're kind of experienced with foam... did you use plasti dip on your mark VI? And how much did you have to use (estimated)? I'm probably going to have to import it, and i want to know how much i would need to buy, if I'll use it at all xD

good work so far! love to see other foam builds out there. not sure about the glasses thing but is it possible to cut enough of the bottom open so that you can flex it a bit over head with glasses on? cuz i had a pretty wide gap on my helmet, only the sides were small but i cut grooves to fit my ears through. though it might have been cuz it was scaled pretty big but came out really well proportioned with the rest of my armor.

I use plasti dip to under coat any foam work I do now. It not only seals the foam up and stops your paint being soaked up by the foam. It also drys really nice and smooth ready for your paintwork. I used about a litre tin of the paint on plasti for for my master chief suit. when you apply it it looks like you need o do more costs as with out a prime it is a
little thin but this isn't a problem as you are not using it for colouring purposes only as n undercoat sealant. I have never needed more than one coat.
Hope this helps and if you have any more questions ask away :)

Also on a side note I have booked off a week starting Tuesday to get all the jobs done that I don't have enough time for, one of those things being a full set of foam tutorials.

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Wow, suddenly stuff started happening in this thread, awesome :D
Thanks for all the feedback guys, glad ya like it!
J326: I'm pretty happy with the width now though :C I'm thinking that i could maybe add velcro to the sides of the visor and attach it in itself every time i put the helmet on? xD I don't know... but i will solve it in some way...
Shadow_of_intent3180: Thanks dude, means a lot :D
Drack: Is that a litre of plasti-dip only or is it a litre of paint AND dip? xD And thanks for the help, you're awesome :D

Double post :D
Sorry, just thought it was kind of funny xD the difference between sanding and not sanding the edges :p
imag0189x.jpg

well if u dont mind a black visor, i use nite shade on overhead projector plastic, it becomes a very flexible visor and might be what ur thinking of. though hot glue sux at sticking to it.

Very well done construction with foam. =D
ive been doing pepakura and fiberglass its my frist project as well and barely finished the helmet for my reach spartan.
someone had suggested i try out eva foam but im not sure how to stencil it out or anything ive pretty much only put my research time into pepakura and fiberglassing..i still havent even used bondo just the resin and mesh so im pretty behind with my abilities here XD
but again great job its coming along great ;)
i actually have a set in dual-layer visor thats blue chrome on chrome that is removeable with locking screws and rounded bolts, they dont even touch my face and works great incase i have to redo the lens at any point

keep up the good work soldier!!! ;)

J326: I really want to stick with the visor that i've got right now... it looks awesome and feels good too, so cant change that... thanks for the tip though :D
Hyundai2806: Thats a pretty interesting idea there... where di you attach those bolts? :U

Is that a litre of plasti-dip only or is it a litre of paint AND dip? xD And thanks for the help, you're awesome :D

Answer: A litre of plasti dip. The amount of paint then after depends what colours you are choosing for the suit. For my Masterchief suit I just bought some cheap kids acrylic tubes. They were about £1.70 each and only used 2. Just make sure after doing the plastidip coat you then spray with the cheapest primer spray you can find cause this also smooths it a little and is a better base coat to apply your final colours to. You want to use a light gray primer because it's a nice mid-tone for your choice of colour to go on top of. If you are doing red or yellow paints then if the acrylics you use are a bit cheap I would recommend undercoating in white as this is a better base coat for them to stand out on. Cheaper acrylics are a bit watery so if the under coat isn't white then reds and yellows will appear dirty, unless that is the effect you want of course :) in fact yellow will always want it's under coat white as its a weak colour over darker shades.
Hope this helps and as always if you need any other advice just ask :)

On a side note I really wanna see more people using LEDs in their suits and think that they are scared off cause it seems like a techy job but it's very easy so I will be adding a section in my tutorials on how basic lighting is done.

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Wow, thats very explanatory dude... thanks a lot, you clarified a whole lot for me xD I actually have a bottle of grey primer at home at the moment, so thats awesome :D
I don't know if i've said that i am going to place LEDs in my helmet at least, and we'll see about the rest xD however, i think i'm gonna take it one step further, and put the power switch to the LEDs on the left forearm, on the tacpad, so i'm basically gonna have to pull some cable under my undersuit, but i think it will look awesome xD

I'm wondering, since you had the same helmet drack, what did you do for air inside? I believe it would be hard to breathe in mine, so i need holes somewhere, but i dont know where xD
I might even put a cheaper fan in there if i just find some place to put the hole o_O

Sorry for the double post, but this is an update, and everyone loves updates, right? xD
So anyway, dont know if i mentioned this before, but i finished all the detailing and sanding on the helmet about a day ago... Jowever, today i visitet a kind of "super mega save store" where i got some awesome materials for a ridiculous price xD
imag0193x.jpg

Bought a funnel (for pouring fuel and stuff), split it in two and sized it to the perfect "oxygene side pipe thingy". Cost me 10 kr, so about a dollar :p
imag0194fx.jpg

Two small bags. I know they are not relly correct, but they look awesome enough, so they will serve as my tactical softcase... They cost me about 2 dollars each xD
I also got a huge sheet of a sort of craft foam for about 3ish dollars and some new knives and markers... A really awesome shopping tour xD
Ill finish this post with another helmet picture and a question: do you guys know a good alternative to plasti dip? Its freaking expensive here in sweden... About 20 dollars for a small spray bottle, and Shipping costs sucks, since you have to do it by boat...
Anyway happy building 405th! Fuzz out.
imag0191cu.jpg

Fun fun fun, to cut of the tip of my thumb thumb thumb!
Lesson learned: Do NOT cut foam without something underneath is...
Looks like i wont be cutting a lot of details for a while... maybe i'll get to painting xD

Yaya, major update time :D
So basically, i've started and come a long way with the torso.
imag0203gu.jpg

I'm almost done with the base of the codpiece. I did ruundowns pepakura model, which looks really cool, and is pretty easy, which means i can do a lot of detailing myself ^^'
Nothing special here... However, i'm probably going to have to redo the backpiece (no pic for this one :C) since it turned out just a tad too big xD

The chest was a bit more fun to do... I had to rescale the papkura model three times to get it just right, but now it fits almost perfectly ^^' (the way i want it, with a little room to put a little "muscle padding" in it, since i'm build like a gamer ;p).
imag0198oy.jpg

The backpiece, which is basically finished.. except for, you know, detailing, sanding, Painting and LED:s xD oh well, it looks nice... And for the vent-thingy, i decided to use a kind of carboard, which is often found in binders... It's REALLY sturdy and gives the backpiece integrity, and easy and thin to work with, so i can easily do some nice detail work with it!
imag0201u.jpg

Front and backpiece together (not assembled)... The picture makes it look kind of skinny... It still needs a lot more pieces on the front, but i just started that one xD
Like i said, i'm gonna have to do some sort of underarmor made of foam here, otherwise it's just going to look off...
Again, the front piece needs sanding, detailing, painting and LEDs, then its finished xD

Thats all for now, I plan to be done with the base layer of the chest this evening, and then i'll begin the details tomorrow... or somethin xD
Anyways, happy building 405th!

Oh, and i still have my plasti-dip problem... If anyone has ideas for a good alternative, that would be awesome!
Bai!

Sorry missed your question. I haven't put any fans in...YET....but am talking to my friend who is obsessed with silent fans for his media centres. I will install one above my face so it cools me and keeps my visor from fogging up. Also I will be adding 2 fans in each of the shoulder blades. 2 of them will blow towards my shoulders and the other 2 will blow down my back. Not sure if you noticed but i put vents in the back to draw air in. The switches will be just inside the bottom of the inside of the chest so I can turn them off if I am getting to cold.
Liking the updates you seem to be moving on nice and fast now :)

keep up the good work,
Tom.

Drack: Cool dude... i guess i'll have to look those fans up a bit... xD don't think i'll be needing fans in the chestpiece... will probably not wear it for that long periods of time xD

Anyway, i'll just throw in a small update on the chest progress...
Today, i basically made the "ab-section" of it, and also fixed the back, since i wasn't too happy about it... i dont know why, but L3x:s chest pep kind of looks odd on the back piece, even though the other parts of the pep are amazing!
imag0215c.jpg

Made the backpiece about four centimetres taller, so that it would fit a bit better around the back, and not just cover my shoulder blades...
imag0214s.jpg

The Ab piece, almost done on this pic... Made this free hand all the way xD
imag0216c.jpg

A really low res pic of me in pretty much everything i've done in the last month xD It's kind of fun, since you can see the progress and the skill i've gotten since is tarted with the arms xD I will probably redo the forearms, since they look REALLY off... Oh, and this pic is minus the codpiece, since i still have to figure out how to keep it up...

Still have my plasti dip issue T.T
Anywho, happy building 405th ^^'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back