First time Helmet (MKVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan300

So I've decided to make the MKVII as my first helmet, maybe it's a weird choice for a first time but it was the best model I had avaiable that I liked and that I believe will be easier under my circumstances.

Dunno if I'll be making MKVII armor too, this is for the future, for now I wanna build the helmet as best as I can.

I started about a week ago with the 3Dprinting, the STL was courtesy of the amazing MoeSizzlac and I got on Thingiverse and just added some pins that I thought would help me a lot with the sync. Today I started assembling some pieces.

20220628_190854.jpg
20220628_190908.jpg

About 2 hours and one burnt finger later this was the result, I used Rock Lobster's tutorial for the welding, don't know if I did it right but it seems pretty sturdy, the top part isn't welded just yet, I'm waiting for another spool to arrive so I can finish the top part and then I'll weld it together, but also I might not weld at all since I've proven myself to be bad with a soldering iron, instead just glue it with epoxy glue, I'd like to know your toughts on that guys.

20220628_190941_01.jpg

Also, it seems there's a space in the back, this bit isn't assembled yet, I'm thinking about what I can do to fix it.

Also also, do you guys think I should apply resin with fiberglass in the inside, I've printed this in PLA and I'll be sanding with some kind of filler later but I'm not sure what I should use on the insides and outsides.

Oh my, sorry for the long post, I'll be updating this as I go along, see ya!

I'm not a costumed member yet, but from what I've gathered from talking to different 405th people, you don't have to have a finished surface the inside of your helmet. Resin on the inside would add some strength and weight to it though if you wanted that.

Glad the welding tutorial helped out! Adding a printing pen to the mix will allow you a little more leniency with melting it together. As for the inside fiberglass and resin will help strengthen the helmet by quite a lot. If you're worried about it structurally it will alleviate a lot of those fears.

I've played around with printed helmets with and without a resin coating on the inside. I would personally highly recommend it if you are able. It makes it a bit heavier, but the trade off is that it is so much stronger.

edit - your helmet is looking amazing and I can't wait to see more!

I'm some what new to making costumes. But as far as that goes, i think it looks good so far! Im going to start printing my own helmet of the same kind. I saw tips and suggestions about using the welding tool or just using epoxy glue. I'm not sure what I'm going to use but seeing that the welding is a bit more sturdy to your use and others, I might go for that. Can't wait to see the updates.

I'm not a costumed member yet, but from what I've gathered from talking to different 405th people, you don't have to have a finished surface the inside of your helmet. Resin on the inside would add some strength and weight to it though if you wanted that.
Yeah the inside can be rough, no one is going to see it except me so it's alright.

Glad the welding tutorial helped out! Adding a printing pen to the mix will allow you a little more leniency with melting it together. As for the inside fiberglass and resin will help strengthen the helmet by quite a lot. If you're worried about it structurally it will alleviate a lot of those fears.
Thanks for the tutorial, it was really great and helped me a lot.
And about the resin, that's what I thought, I mean, this looks pretty sturdy already but I really don't mind a little bit more resistance.

I've played around with printed helmets with and without a resin coating on the inside. I would personally highly recommend it if you are able. It makes it a bit heavier, but the trade off is that it is so much stronger.

edit - your helmet is looking amazing and I can't wait to see more!
Thanks, I'll be updating this as I go, just waiting another spool to print the last piece and assemble it all together.

I'm some what new to making costumes. But as far as that goes, i think it looks good so far! Im going to start printing my own helmet of the same kind. I saw tips and suggestions about using the welding tool or just using epoxy glue. I'm not sure what I'm going to use but seeing that the welding is a bit more sturdy to your use and others, I might go for that. Can't wait to see the updates.
Hey, show us your work when you start making yours, good luck and good building!

Heyo, first off looks awesome!! I've got a Halo 5 Anubis Helmet that is resin casted. For me the inside was all about what fits and what doesn't. After numerous test fits I ultimately ended up lining the inside with some EVA foam and taking the ripped-out insides of an old ski racing helmet and putting that in it. This way it was a bit more comfortable and i was able to buckle the helmet underneath my chin once that is secure the helmet is cozy and wont swing around when I turn my head. Just an idea but it worked for me. I also can provide pictures if my explanation isn't that great. Just lmk.

Heyo, first off looks awesome!! I've got a Halo 5 Anubis Helmet that is resin casted. For me the inside was all about what fits and what doesn't. After numerous test fits I ultimately ended up lining the inside with some EVA foam and taking the ripped-out insides of an old ski racing helmet and putting that in it. This way it was a bit more comfortable and i was able to buckle the helmet underneath my chin once that is secure the helmet is cozy and wont swing around when I turn my head. Just an idea but it worked for me. I also can provide pictures if my explanation isn't that great. Just lmk.
Hello, thank you so much!
I gotta say, the Anubis helmet looks so nice, id like to make one myself someday. The EVA foam is a great Idea and what I'll probably go towards it, I'll have to search which thickness is just right but yeah, this seems to be the way, I like the Idea of using the inside structure of another helmet too, and sure, if you can I'd appreciate if you could provide some pictures!

The new spool has arrived and I'm printing it right now, also I'm in the process of researching some materials I'll be needing for the sanding like the finishing putty. The names might be a little different here where I live so I'm making sure I'll be buying the same product as the ones I see in the tutorials.

I dunno about one specific thing, the visor, I think I'll be using a Motorcycle Helmet Visor because it seems to be more accessible in the moment, but I really wish I could make the visor out of the stl version I have in the future, I've read a little about vaccuum forming but I still don't understand how I can use it, I've got in touch with a store that provides services in vaccuum forming but they told me they need an aluminum mold for it to work, as the ABS or PLA wont resist and probably will deform under the high temperatures of the process. Any of you guys have some ideas or experiences using it?

I really appreciate the help, you guys have been amazing and I can't wait to show my work to you!

Little sunday update on this!

This print finished yesterday, today I glued the two top parts together, saddly it wasn't a perfect fit, I really dont know what got wrong but I must have made a mistake at some point, I'll have to fix it later somehow, but it fits really nice in my head.

20220703_124712.jpg
20220703_124729.jpg

20220703_124842.jpg

As you can see, the top back pieces look bigger, but they also fit just right bellow, I'm really confused.

But anyways, I'll do some more soldering, then I'll glue the top and bottom parts with epoxy glue (I think it will be easier), sand with some finishing putty, then I'll apply fiberglass + resin on the insides and do some more sanding untill it's done.

Painting will be a monster of its own...

Anyways that's it for today guys, thanks for the support!

Hello, thank you so much!
I gotta say, the Anubis helmet looks so nice, id like to make one myself someday. The EVA foam is a great Idea and what I'll probably go towards it, I'll have to search which thickness is just right but yeah, this seems to be the way, I like the Idea of using the inside structure of another helmet too, and sure, if you can I'd appreciate if you could provide some pictures!

The new spool has arrived and I'm printing it right now, also I'm in the process of researching some materials I'll be needing for the sanding like the finishing putty. The names might be a little different here where I live so I'm making sure I'll be buying the same product as the ones I see in the tutorials.

I dunno about one specific thing, the visor, I think I'll be using a Motorcycle Helmet Visor because it seems to be more accessible in the moment, but I really wish I could make the visor out of the stl version I have in the future, I've read a little about vaccuum forming but I still don't understand how I can use it, I've got in touch with a store that provides services in vaccuum forming but they told me they need an aluminum mold for it to work, as the ABS or PLA wont resist and probably will deform under the high temperatures of the process. Any of you guys have some ideas or experiences using it?

I really appreciate the help, you guys have been amazing and I can't wait to show my work to you!
The updates look amazing. If you want a more definite form for the visor I'd go with getting one vacuum formed. I got the material for my visor from a seller on Etsy, here, unfortunately, you can't vacuum form it but it worked well for me and I can replace it in the future if need be without much hassle. The problem with motorcycle helmet Visors is that they are very thick and do not like to be tampered with. They also will probably be too big for your helmet and might shatter or break in sporadic ways if cut down.

Also here are photos of the helmet and what I did for the inside. It's kind of hard to see but basically it's just layers of EVA foam glued together until the desired area is covered and then taped just in case the clue comes loose. Then the helmet inside is glued to the top and the buckles can be fastened.

Full helmet with visor
20220703_181702.jpg

inside of ski helmet glued to top.
20220703_181718.jpg

top of the helmet
20220703_181741.jpg

sides
20220703_181752.jpg

The updates look amazing. If you want a more definite form for the visor I'd go with getting one vacuum formed. I got the material for my visor from a seller on Etsy, here, unfortunately, you can't vacuum form it but it worked well for me and I can replace it in the future if need be without much hassle. The problem with motorcycle helmet Visors is that they are very thick and do not like to be tampered with. They also will probably be too big for your helmet and might shatter or break in sporadic ways if cut down.

Also here are photos of the helmet and what I did for the inside. It's kind of hard to see but basically it's just layers of EVA foam glued together until the desired area is covered and then taped just in case the clue comes loose. Then the helmet inside is glued to the top and the buckles can be fastened.

Full helmet with visor
View attachment 319991
inside of ski helmet glued to top.
View attachment 319992
top of the helmet
View attachment 319993
sides
View attachment 319994

Anubis is a really nice helmet, you did a fantastic work, and thanks for the pics, this helps a lot to visualize and have ideas!

I really would like to vacuum form it, this might be a little hard for now, I'd have to find somewhere that does this, but it would really pay off. Also yeah bike helmet visors are really thick and hard to cut, this will be a challenge, sadly I can't buy stuff from the US or out of my country since importing stuff here takes literally ages, but I'll search for local options like these you've sent, thanks for the tips!!!

Anubis is a really nice helmet, you did a fantastic work, and thanks for the pics, this helps a lot to visualize and have ideas!

I really would like to vacuum form it, this might be a little hard for now, I'd have to find somewhere that does this, but it would really pay off. Also yeah bike helmet visors are really thick and hard to cut, this will be a challenge, sadly I can't buy stuff from the US or out of my country since importing stuff here takes literally ages, but I'll search for local options like these you've sent, thanks for the tips!!!
Thank you, hopefully with the rest of my armor, the helmet will be proportional!

Hopefully, my depictions were good enough lol. Good luck and always feel free to ask if you need any more help!

Thank you, hopefully with the rest of my armor, the helmet will be proportional!

Hopefully, my depictions were good enough lol. Good luck and always feel free to ask if you need any more help!
Good luck in the armor building!

The pics helped a lot, and thanks I sure will ask a lot of stuff, for now I just found a motorcycle helmet visor that's really thin and common here.

Screenshot_20220703-235327_Mercado Libre.jpg

This thing is so thin that when you take it off the helmet it lays flat, when I finish the helmet I'll stop by a store and see if this helps me.

Good luck in the armor building!

The pics helped a lot, and thanks I sure will ask a lot of stuff, for now I just found a motorcycle helmet visor that's really thin and common here.

View attachment 320023
This thing is so thin that when you take it off the helmet it lays flat, when I finish the helmet I'll stop by a store and see if this helps me.

Definitely check out the flexibility of it before you go for it for sure. If it lies flat and is that thin of a shield I definitely wouldn't trust it on my motorcycle helmet but it might be perfect for a project like this, just make sure to check it out first so you're not wasting money. :)

Definitely check out the flexibility of it before you go for it for sure. If it lies flat and is that thin of a shield I definitely wouldn't trust it on my motorcycle helmet but it might be perfect for a project like this, just make sure to check it out first so you're not wasting money. :)

Yeah, I'd stay away from it for using it on my bike helmet too, I really don't know how this thing is legal around here but I see a lot of people using it.
I'll be sure to research a lot before buying yeah, I don't want to waste money.

Yeah, I'd stay away from it for using it on my bike helmet too, I really don't know how this thing is legal around here but I see a lot of people using it.
I'll be sure to research a lot before buying yeah, I don't want to waste money.
Definitely questionable lmao. Hopefully that all works out as a visor (at least it'll have some purpose lol)!

Hello my friends.
Quickest of the updates!

I've applied the epoxy glue to assemble the last two pieces. Really didn't like it, maybe I've bought a low quality glue, but it's taking way too long to cure, it's still sticky and I've forced a bit to test and felt it move even after 1 day of applying. I'm going to apply resin and fiberglass now to be really sure it will be sturdy, then more sanding.

Here's how it is:

IMG-20220704-WA0027.jpeg

JB Weld 5 minute 2 part epoxy is my go to for when you really need 2 parts to stay together. Helmet is looking great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back