Foam Technique Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your comments guys. You keep watching and will keep making um :)
Vargatom I am not quite sure which pieces you mean. Can you link a pic with an example so I can hook you up with a vid please :)
Tom

Thanks for the new videos Tom. I especially like the lighting tutorial. :D

Well here's a piece I had trouble with:

KkvBv.jpg

Look at the inner edge of the U shape, where you need to cut for very short lengths.
It'd be problematic in all cases: 90 degree angles, 45 degree angles, continuous curves. I had to throw away like 4 of these at least...

I think I know what you mean but if you can throw up a pic of the armour piece itself I will know exactly how to demonstrate how to tackle it and make a video for you explaining the process.
Tom.

Foam Technique Tutorials

So finally the day has come as promised for my foam tutorial. I hope I have covered as much as I can without over doing it. If there is anything you think I have missed out then feel free to ask and I will do more vids.

Foam Technique Tutorial Part 1 Here

Foam Technique Tutorial Part 2 Here

Basic Lighting Tutorial

Basic Lighting Tutorial Here

though I have seen this tutorial before, I would like to salute you once for reminding me about this work.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries man. I should be able to start my helmet diary soon as my foam order arrived. I am so torn though between all the helmets I could make! I could do the Ironman stealth helmet which would involve customizing templates from the mark vi foam file. Or I could go for the CQB helmet which would be easy but the visor will provide for good tutorial material as I have worked out two ways of doing it. 1. Bondo sculpt then vacuum form it. 2. Bondo sculpt, mold and cast it. My main problem is that I want to do the Ironman helmet but know that will lead to making the whole suit and I don't want to get distracted away from my Masterchief and hammer build.

Thank you for watching and the support,
Tom.

I think I know what you mean but if you can throw up a pic of the armour piece itself I will know exactly how to demonstrate how to tackle it and make a video for you explaining the process.

I'm sorry but I can't show anything else at this time. Later on I'll explain... let's just say that there are legal issues involved in this.

Anyway, it's the inner, shorter U-shaped edge which is the kind of cuts I'm having trouble with. On the outer side you can extend your cuts to make good angles, but there's no room for that on the inner side...

The CQB helmet is definitely more interesting ;)
There are plenty of Iron Man builds especially on RPF, although most of them use fiberglass or molded helmets... But it's a Halo costuming site after all :)

I have chosen the CQB for that exact reason :)
Will start my vid diary next week :D

Ok mate. I already have the pep unfolded ready for my build. I have also started one and filmed it but will restart it for the purpose of the video diary as I didn't talk in the vids.

Heya Drack, thank you so much for uploading these videos, speacially the one that involves lighting. Tried to do a seach on youtube for some examples and yours was the best video I could find, and that then lead me to this forum. I'm currently working on a Dead Space build and its completely out of foam. Your tutorials have been extremely helpful. I was wondering if at some point you could do a video that shows how you wire up a build for the LEDS. Maybe more of an advanced version of the basic lighting video. Im curious to see how you wire your lights in your suits, do you wire them all together to one battery source or is it lots of single sources.
Thanks again for the vids, keep up the awesome work!

How have I not seen this thread yet???? O___o

*cough* anyways. I watched all of them. Those will be very helpful for people working with foam. This should be stickied. i found the lighting tutorial particularly helpful, as electronics intimidate me. >w<;;

Heya Drack, thank you so much for uploading these videos, speacially the one that involves lighting. Tried to do a seach on youtube for some examples and yours was the best video I could find, and that then lead me to this forum. I'm currently working on a Dead Space build and its completely out of foam. Your tutorials have been extremely helpful. I was wondering if at some point you could do a video that shows how you wire up a build for the LEDS. Maybe more of an advanced version of the basic lighting video. Im curious to see how you wire your lights in your suits, do you wire them all together to one battery source or is it lots of single sources.
Thanks again for the vids, keep up the awesome work!

Thank you man glad I am helping people out :)
As for an advanced tutorial on how I wire my stuff up I am a novice and kinda play it by ear when doing the electronics. I finished wiring up the lights on my hammer. Wanted to take some pics so just hooked up one battery thinking it would last a while. 1 minute later it was completely drained 0_o. I did then hook up 7 batteries in series which lasted long enough to be happy with and they werent dead but I know by doing this the return voltage starts to cook battery number 7 and battery 6 started to heat up too. I believe I need to stick a resister on the negative leg of the 7th battery to stop this but not completely sure if that's right. I am just going by logic most of the time. I will do a basic vid explaining the wiring and battery hook up in the chest and thigh as i used different set ups in each but they will not be advanced cause I do a dummies guide by a dummy.

How have I not seen this thread yet???? O___o

*cough* anyways. I watched all of them. Those will be very helpful for people working with foam. This should be stickied. i found the lighting tutorial particularly helpful, as electronics intimidate me. >w<;;

Cheers sweetie. I would like a tutorial from either you or LilTyrant to link on this thread. I know you did a video but would be nice to have you talk through the process you use so people can understand it better. I could do one as I have worked out how you girls do it but you are the masters and I have only done one small piece on my chest doing it the same way you do.

Thanks for the videos, they are awesome! Definitely points people like me (aka super armor building noobs) in the right direction! I'll definitely come back to this when I start my armor build in August! ^^

Aye man well done. Ive been patiently waiting this since you first made mention of it. Well done. The first vid at roughly 6:30 reminded me of back when i was taught basic weldig at school. Well done

Keanu/ runcornstuntman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back