G3IST’s ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, the way you add damage to the helmet is simply amazing. What brand of paint are you using for the top coat? It looks like it has a "heavy" feel.

The helmet looks amazing! the weathering is awesome along with the scratches and wear. definitely looking forward to seeing it completed!
Thank you so much! It’s a long process and I can’t wait until it’s done.

Oh man, the way you add damage to the helmet is simply amazing. What brand of paint are you using for the top coat? It looks like it has a "heavy" feel.
Thanks! I’m using Montana brand in their “Black” line. It’s a super thick, almost rubbery paint. It sprays very heavy, but very evenly. I’ve used a lot of rattle can paint, but nothing quite like this. It has a very unique texture.

Noice. I'm very far behind in my helmet creation. I'm going to cut out those recesses on either side of the cheeks (and cover with metal mesh or something) to aid in ventilation. There's some horizontal sections at the back I've seen someone do the same thing to, handy idea since most photos aren't going to be taken of the back of your head ;)

Try the "6 feet rule" :) ie where people are going to be standing to take a photo. When it's in your lap you might think "this is way too much weathering" but then 6 feet away you might think "it's perfect/needs MOARRRR".

You can also use toothpaste, mustard or other thick condiment ;) Toothpaste for that minty just brushed smell, mustard if you're thinking about a tasty sandwhich on your break.

I used to sand my parts until they were super smooth, paint them, then weather them. I finally realised why am I sanding things to that level of smoothness (I sand the surface of resin prints to help paint stick) when it's supposed to look like it got dragged through the mud and run over by a tank. So I sometimes don't go past 120 grit and will pop back down to the 80 grit for some aggressive scuffing on exposed areas and highlights. I also do this so the texture isn't too much of a juxtaposition to the EVA foam base that the cast items attach to (Warhammer 40,000 Bolter).

Figure I can always hit it with automotive filler primer if it looks too bad at 6 feet.
Thanks for the tips!
I almost cut out those vents, but thought the airflow would be negligible in the end of fans weren’t placed in those spots specifically. The area looked way too tight in my bucket, so I didn’t end up doing it. The fans will most likely be in the forehead pointing across the visor like my Death Trooper bucket.
I definitely try to weather in a way that is rough looking but still believable. It’s easy to go overboard, lol.

Thanks for the tips!
I almost cut out those vents, but thought the airflow would be negligible in the end of fans weren’t placed in those spots specifically. The area looked way too tight in my bucket, so I didn’t end up doing it. The fans will most likely be in the forehead pointing across the visor like my Death Trooper bucket.
I definitely try to weather in a way that is rough looking but still believable. It’s easy to go overboard, lol.
If you find room I also recommend putting a small fan in the chin section.
Myself I have one fan in the forehead and one in the chin and those two small things do wonders for cooling you off. Just blowing at two sections of the face preventing you from overheating and sweating.

While I wait, though, I added these picatinny rails to each side of the helmet with the idea that every accessory I make can attach with rail adapters. This will (in theory) give all accessories a mechanical connection for strength and keep my options open if I want to switch my set up around.
If you plan on attaching anything heavier to the side rails I'd highly recommend placing a metal plate on the inside of the helmet with the screws bolted through. 2 screws is enough for the smaller things but can potentially rip out the plastic around them with heavier items!

Thank you so much! It’s a long process and I can’t wait until it’s done.

Thanks! I’m using Montana brand in their “Black” line. It’s a super thick, almost rubbery paint. It sprays very heavy, but very evenly. I’ve used a lot of rattle can paint, but nothing quite like this. It has a very unique texture.
I feel that. I'm currently in the process of painting all my parts and it feels like it's taking forever. I kinda just want to be done with it already but I've got a very short deadline to meet so the only thing to do is keep going.

Image heavy post incoming!

Work has kept me busy lately, but I finally found enough time to mask and paint the white stripes.

First, though, I applied more gray paint to the helmet to cover the scratches and damage. This gives the appearance of pitting and superficial surface damage.

15C06B51-F66F-4A21-825F-95169B597921.jpeg

BDFA80CC-8500-4E09-9A53-D348AF1BE088.jpeg

52FD9AA5-C0DE-4F7D-A4BD-7AF5C8434C7F.jpeg

I also managed to make stencils for the triangles on the forehead. I downloaded an image of a triangle and zoomed out in the image viewer to roughly the size I wanted. I then use masking tape to go along the edges of the triangle on my laptop’s screen. Instant, cheap stencil.

7094E314-4F31-435B-9E5B-9596460FC39B.jpeg

884049E1-39FD-4CF2-BD2D-75417816EBD8.jpeg

5F3836EF-6F11-4B55-BDC4-A46C19510262.jpeg

So, next will be masking off the sections of the helmet for matte black. After that, I’ll scratch the paint once again to expose the underlying silver followed by a black wash and further weathering.

I love love love love love how you did this helmet. The paintjob is just amazing and all the weathering and dirt looks incredibly real as if it wasn't painted but it happened all in use.

Ive said as much on your instagram: Looks amazing. The weathering *really* makes it pop. :)

I got the CNM module painted and attached via picatinny rail. The exterior is pretty much done, though I might add some more paint scratches at some point.

Now I just have to finish the internals.

View attachment 322814View attachment 322813
View attachment 322815
View attachment 322816
View attachment 322817
This came out amazing!!! Looks just like what they were using in the odst commercial! I heard these helmets were quite small though, how’s the fit on your head?

This came out amazing!!! Looks just like what they were using in the odst commercial! I heard these helmets were quite small though, how’s the fit on your head?
Thanks man! That’s a big compliment.
They are pretty small and my head is rather large. I’ve had quite a time fitting the padding and fans in along with my head, but it is doable.

Thanks man! That’s a big compliment.
They are pretty small and my head is rather large. I’ve had quite a time fitting the padding and fans in along with my head, but it is doable.
It looks great and I can’t wait to see your whole armor set! Have you decided on what you’ll be going with?

I’m still deciding, but most likely the kit will be a hybrid between Brink Studio printed files and Sean Bradley kit pieces.
Not a bad idea, I have Sean’s and there’s a few things personally I’d like in either different chasing or foam. It’s nice though!

Those Branfuhr helmets look so awesome. Great weathering and paint job on it!

I just got my hands on a Bradley kit that I need to work on myself. Highly suggested though.

The helmet is finally done!
All the accessories are modular, so I can add or remove them however and whenever. I kind of like the helmet maxed out though.
Accessories printed from NerdForge files which I highly recommend.

DA0F5CF8-12EC-458F-ABA8-C2E572E50907.jpeg

1CC6872A-0BAC-4056-8770-3FDDD16BE2D0.jpeg

FCA39475-2BDE-4BA7-A42E-12BC14618109.jpeg

7DCF0BCD-F993-4C5D-A401-25D16D07AEF3.jpeg

84439822-35B6-47E9-991B-C42B84B55B74.jpeg

1EA05F39-7492-4B94-A3BB-7D2EB6D7916E.jpeg

ECF00051-D773-413F-AA11-9C671111C1CF.jpeg

Gonna take a little break to catch up on some real life work and then I’ll be starting on the SMG and magnum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back