Gas Mask And Respirator Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

antzombie280

Jr Member
Ok, so we all know one of the most important things to have when using bondo, when painting, or when using other toxic chemicals is a good respirator .
[attachment=5769:bondo.jpg]

When looking to buy or to get a respirator here are some tips:
1. Make sure you don't use a drywall cloth respirator because it will not work. Those are made to block small drywall particles, not fumes.
2. When searching for one don't go lower than like $20-30. The more expensive the safer.
3. Useful ones are ones that has detachable cartridges/filters.
4. MAKE SURE THE CARTRIDGE OR RESPIRATOR YOU USE SAYS IT BLOCKS ORGANIC VAPORS!!!! -loess
5.Be careful of Gas Masks bought on Ebay- Many of these are only for sale because they have EXPIRED CARTRIDGES. An expired cartridge does not protect from anything, and in fact can be hazardous. -xanderbach

Hazardous Effects:
Inhalation: Nasal and respiratory irritation, nausea, cough, shortness of breath, dehydration, allergic respiratory
reaction, tiredness, dizziness, weakness, headache, anesthesia, drowsiness, fatigue, chest pain, vomiting, central
nervous system effects, narcosis. Liquid can be fatal if aspirated into the lungs.

Skin contact: Extraction of natural oils with resulting dry skin, irritation, allergic skin reactions, redness and
dermatitis. May be absorbed through the skin.

Eye contact: Irritation, redness, pain, tearing, blurred vision, sensation of seeing halos around lights and
reversible damage.

Ingestion: Gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, headache, dizziness, drowsiness,
fatigue, lack of coordination, central nervous system effects, depression.

Chronic: Repeated overexposure to this product may cause: central nervous system damage, hearing damage, kidney
damage, liver abnormalities, lung damage, cardiac abnormalities, reproductive organ damage, blood effects, eye
damage.

Other Health Effects:
Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal. Reports have
associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system
damage.

Safety Precautions:
Respiratory Protection: When personnel, whether spraying or not, are inside a spray booth, ventilation is unlikely to
be sufficient to control particulates and chemical vapor in all cases. In such cases air supplied respiratory equipment is
recommended until particulate and vapor concentration has fallen below exposure limits. If monitoring demonstrates
levels below TLV or PEL wear a NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator device. See safety equipment supplier for
evaluation and recommendation.

Ventilation: Provide sufficient ventilation to keep vapor concentration below the given TLV and/or PEL.
For baking finishes, exhaust vapors emitted during heating. Remove decomposition products formed during welding or
flame cutting of surfaces coated with this product.

Protective Gloves: Required for prolonged or repeated contact. Use solvent resistant gloves. Barrier creams are not
substitutes for full physical protection. Refer to safety equipment supplier for effective glove recommendations.

Eye Protection:
Use safety goggles or face shield designed to protect against splash of liquids when spraying or when
working with open liquids such as during mixing or pouring.

<div align="right">I will be editing this further for more specifications</div>

Ok now that we know what happens when you breath in hazardous Fiberglass fumes, (simply put.... BRAIN DAMAGE)
here are some gas masks i got from the police station, you can also find these on ebay for pretty cheap. But DO NOT buy cartridges from ebay, unless you are %100 they are brand new.
ATTENTION: make sure you also get organic vapor blocking cartridges, the mask itself will not be sufficient enough
[attachment=5755:0801082326.jpg]
[attachment=5756:0801082329.jpg]
[attachment=5757:0801081254.jpg]

PICKING OUT A CARTRIDGE:
Standard: here is a standard small cartridge, this particular model costs about $30 but im sure you can find em cheaper.
[attachment=5758:0801082332.jpg]

Heavy Duty: this is a little extreme but again, the more protection the better. These cartidges are for chin style masks and are very effective, but are typically a little more expensive.
again you will be fine with the standard model, it fits most respirators and gas masks
[attachment=5759:0801082333.jpg]

I like to use gas masks because they have built in visors for eye protection but you can also wear standard visor-less respirators. (just make sure you also wear safety glasses or goggles too)
[attachment=5760:glass_032.jpg]-picture from loess
These can be found at home depot or lowes for about $30 :)
I hope this thread helps all you unsafe people to not kill your brain cells, and everyone else with respirator questions :)
if you think i should add something to the thread, post it and i'll add it

Last edited by a moderator:
*CLAP CLAP* You sir have saved many life's.
Thank you.
(Hopefully you get it stickies.)
And nice touch with example pictures.

Be careful of Gas Masks bought on Ebay- Many of these are only for sale because they have EXPIRED CARTRIDGES. An expired cartridge does not protect from anything, and in fact can be hazardous.

Make sure to check the expiration dates on the cartridges before using them. If you are buying a mask on Ebay, ask the seller for the dates. If he doesn't know them, or won't tell you, DON'T BUY THAT MASK.

It's your life- Don't trust it to 30 year old gas mask filters made in Uzbekistan :p

Xanderbach said:
Be careful of Gas Masks bought on Ebay- Many of these are only for sale because they have EXPIRED CARTRIDGES. An expired cartridge does not protect from anything, and in fact can be hazardous.

Make sure to check the expiration dates on the cartridges before using them. If you are buying a mask on Ebay, ask the seller for the dates. If he doesn't know them, or won't tell you, DON'T BUY THAT MASK.

It's your life- Don't trust it to 30 year old gas mask filters made in Uzbekistan :p
great point :) - added to the thread

I found menards sells very nice models for 20-25 dollars, and some for 30-40 dollars, no more than that. The model I got sells for $29.99 at lowes, got mine for 21.00 at menards. Plus the filters only cost 3.99 for a pack of 2.

Funny thing was, my lower model respirator does say it blocks organics vapors, and is NIOSH approved, but the higher end models said nothing about blocking vapors, they just listed "blocks dust, paint fumes, and other hazardous materials, DO NOT USE IN AREA WITH LESS THAN 19.5% OXYGEN"

AoBfrost said:
I found menards sells very nice models for 20-25 dollars, and some for 30-40 dollars, no more than that. The model I got sells for $29.99 at lowes, got mine for 21.00 at menards. Plus the filters only cost 3.99 for a pack of 2.

Funny thing was, my lower model respirator does say it blocks organics vapors, and is NIOSH approved, but the higher end models said nothing about blocking vapors, they just listed "blocks dust, paint fumes, and other hazardous materials, DO NOT USE IN AREA WITH LESS THAN 19.5% OXYGEN"

Well, paint fumes are organic, but it would be nice if the packaging was more explicit about that. The oxygen note is because a respirator will not protect you from low oxygen atmospheres. If the oxygen concentration is much lower than atmospheric (right around 20% O2), you'll pass out, and potentially suffer brain damage or die. All the respirator does is clean the air before you breathe it, it can't add O2. If you have to work somewhere that you can't get O2 from the air around you, you need an air-supply mask like a firefighter would use (expensive!). Normally, this won't be a problem unless you're in an enclosed space, like welding inside a tank, or down in a deep tunnel, where you can use up all the O2 in the air by breathing or with a fire.

I saw a mini air compressor with a filter built into it, it supplied air like a doctor/firefighter use, but it had a mini tank and compressor for you to breathe, around 80 dollars if I remember.

ill attest right now to not using a resporator

i have been sick for the past week with a head cold after sanding for 4 hours with no resporator

USE ONE the runny nose i have is killer

im goin to get some food...

:claps: Very nice Tutorial my good man. Pics are quite helpful, and, this is irrelevant to the actual use of a respirator, but they can also make you look rather cool...
Anyways... Awesome Tut man. - Ice

I am lucky to not be sick from all the resining and bondo'ing i've done without a respirator, I feel 100% fine afterwards now I use one. Back then I'd feel dizzy or have a slowed time breathing, now I feel great and normal with one being used. The 20 dollars I spent was truly worth it, but that police mask owns all in function and looks.

redragon74 said:
ill attest right now to not using a resporator

i have been sick for the past week with a head cold after sanding for 4 hours with no resporator

USE ONE the runny nose i have is killer

im goin to get some food...

Blegh......

Yes, use a dust mask when sanding. I've been doing wood work for years, and I started before PPE was considered important. Sanding without protection is nearly as bad for your lungs as smoking. Any time I sand without a mask I wind up with breathing problems, and I usually catch a nasty cold. I don't sand without using a mask anymore.

I do a lot of airbrushing on large areas and I always (well, almost always..) use a mask, with the cartridges, make sure that you load the cartidges the right side up or they are also ineffective, i didnt know that until I read all the horribly small fine print on my instruction manual. I still get weird paint streaks where my mask doesnt fit snug against my nose bridge. sometimes Ill throw a piece of masking tape over the bridge of my nose onto my mask to keep any fumes from sneaking in, never can be to careful.
i also got sick for a week when I didnt use a mask and thought I had proper ventilation when airbrushing in a small room, with windows open and 2 fans going, I swear to god I vomited bright green paint... just wear the mask people! :D
---chris

using a respirator is absolutly nessasary...i was fiber glassing the other day and have been sick and puking(sp) up everything since...it also makes u feel very weak

Loess said:
That mask is only good for dust. You could (should) use one like that for sanding, or handling raw fiberglass cloth or mat. If you're painting, bondo-ing, or working with resin, you'll need a respirator.

Yeah i just fiber glassed today and used my gas mask. Then i sanded and just wore a regular drywall mask (gas masks get pretty hot when your workin in the sun :/)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back