Gears 2 Suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkm2021

I loved Gears 1, i played for hours on end while my friends all tried to convert my back to halo (which i eventually did)

Gears it just awesome, but i recently rented Gears 2, thinking it too would be awesome. They promised new gameplay, better graphics, and better online play. The only thing thats different about Gears 2 is the story, thats it. same old gameplay, graphics, and online play. SAME, and after playing the original hours and hours on end, its just boring.

what do you guys think, agree, disagree?
if you disagree tell why

(yes i know there are new enemies in the story, yes i know that there are like 1 or 2 new weapons)

I don't intend on getting it for that reason. I might rent it for the story, but it looks like the same Gears of War but with added weapons, new story, and a few new moves. Last Gears of War got boring for me, then I shifted to CoD4, and that by far beats GoW.

BTW: Is GoW2 having problems with online? I have removed like 4 friends of my list because every 5 minutes they send me requests to join them in the game.

Dreadnought of Fury said:
I don't intend on getting it for that reason. I might rent it for the story, but it looks like the same Gears of War but with added weapons, new story, and a few new moves. Last Gears of War got boring for me, then I shifted to CoD4, and that by far beats GoW.

BTW: Is GoW2 having problems with online? I have removed like 4 friends of my list because every 5 minutes they send me requests to join them in the game.

I get that all the time, and I don't even have GOW2

I believe in GOW2 There is an option to send an invite to an online to game to all of your online friends.
That's what I was told when I started flipping at my mate for sending me invites all the time for no reason.
A Very Very annoying feature they added to the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dreadnought of Fury said:

From what I read in OXM, there's 5 play co-op, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Anyway, I believe they were saying the multiplayer was redone, which is one of the pet peeves I had about GOW1. It might be easier to play online now.

As far as I'm concerned, with games that make it with the first title, it's very difficult for a game company to go and take the old formula for the previous game that "worked" an re-use it, and re-rinse it so that it comes out, more of a hybrid, much better so than the previous game. That's why if you will, Halo was considered such a success; and then they built upon that. Gears was great, but at the same time, it would be hard to improve it in my opinion; but I have yet to play the game, so I can only say that if they re-used the old formula and added new "shiny toys" (features) if you will, then the game will be nothing more than a repeat of the old formula, with an improved storyline.

- Fitz

Im really liking the horde gametype.
The multiplayer uses the trueskill matchmaking now so it takes more time to find a game

gears 2 is worth the story... but the multiplayer isnt worth it, if you liked the online for the first one you will like the online in the second. for one they actually created a lobby but they completely jacked the game modes.

in my opinion the online for both gears is far to one sided. if you dont rush the good guns off the start you fail, the lancer isnt strong enough. its pretty much the same as halo except you randomly jump and roll around.

Online.
1.Call of duty 4
2.Halo 3
3.halo 2
4.rainbow 6: Vegas
5.gears

Campaign
1.Halo
2.Halo
3.halo
4.halo
5.Gears.

those are pretty much the only games i played alot.

Its not bad but the multi player needs alittle tweeking. I find it funny how people are making all these accusations about gears even though bungie was like that with the halo series. Sure it was impressive to go from halo 1 to halo 2 but when you look at the jump from halo 2 to halo 3 wasnt all that impressive.

Gears 2 doesn't suck. It comes no where close to suck.

Look, you can go on about "changing it up" all you want, but don't forget, this is a HALO fansite. THe game series that's INFAMOUS for not switching it up.

What the hell could they have changed anyway? Why would you want to change gameplay that has gotten thousands of hours loggens in XBL? How could you? Especially for a shooter. It's real hard to be an innovative shooter, and when you've done it once, it's often the last time... All subsequent games are just more refined versions of the last.

Besides, all the problems with Gears one are fixed in Gears 2, and G1 had some PRETTY BIG problems. That being said, it's a pretty big improvement once you notice what you're missing.

Look, this is a sequel.....A SEQUEL!!!

Why does no one seem to know what that word means? Seriously! I'm tired of hearing "well, this is the same as the last one, (it's almost as if it belongs to the same series)..."

REALLY?

Besides, Gears 1 was awsome, if this is exactly the same, then of course it's good.

The campaign is a lot more over the top in this game too. I mean come on, the biggest fight you had in G1 was running away from a big rabid she-bitch that was let loose on you. Now in G2 you get to fight not one, but 2 Brumaks! MORE THAN ONCE! AND YOU PLAY AS ONE TOO!!!
You only saw a glimpse of it in the console version of G1. And the PC fight was less than climactic. Come on...

are you kidding? (to spartan051)

i sure hope so. all the new features they brought to the multiplayer? Forge? Theater?
not only was the multiplayer better, the campaign managed to keep you stuck in your seat and cheering on as you played the story. all the new fun things you can do on bungie.net that go in stride with the game.

i mean come on. you honestly think bungie didnt bring anything new to halo 3?

All the new features in Gears 2?

Meatsheild?

Ghost camera? So making machinima on the best looking game on the 360 isn't 100% impossible anymore?

Oh right, those automatically don't matter.

xalener said:
All the new features in Gears 2?

Meatsheild?

Ghost camera? So making machinima on the best looking game on the 360 isn't 100% impossible anymore?

Oh right, those automatically don't matter.
those have been done before...

hmmmm... where did the ghost cam come from? kinda sounds like a live action theater, except sucky.

i totally agree with you xalener i thought gears 2 was a great game. my problem is i have been on a 9 month long call of duty 4 binge. so im use to weapon classes and not having to pump a whole mag into someone, to take them down. but i still every once and a while throw in halo and have a blast on multiplayer. but gears online never did it for me.

Doesn't suck at all... I like it, Horde is beast. Maybe it's a bit repetitive. But so is halo. Does that mean halo sucks

It's just a flying spectator cam that gets rid of a lot of problems of G1...

Just one little thing...

that you can take pictures with. it would of been sweet if they had a more full theater mode, you could get sweet screen shots of curb stomps and chainsaw kills.

and horde was balling, my brother and i fought threw the 50 levels on normal.

It's hard On hardcore, Hence the creative name. Anyways C.O.Gs look beast, and horde is beast, I didn't enjoy campaign as much as GOW1 though. :cautious:

I liked it better, maybe I'm just biased because my first gears broke and the sequel is my replacement.

This topic isn't closed yet? It's obviously a fire starter. The title CERTAINLY pissed me off. If the particularly stressful moment in my real life is just clouding my mind, than this definitely didn't make it better.

Also to continue relevance: The graphics are improved a lot. The new ambient occlusion really added to the gameplay experiences. You may not notice at first, but there are a lot of times in G1 where enemies just blend into the background and I get sniped/chainsawed/shotguned without ANY warning. The ambient occlusion tech really helps enemies and objects to pop out of the background. Not to mention the new ambient lighting system. No more are characters just randomly fading to pitch black. The rendering system is just more efficient. That's all it needed to be. There were moments in G1 where next to NOTHING was on screen and I had framerate problems. I don't see that anymore.

Besides, did the graphics really need THAT much improving? Name a game on the 360 that rivles Gears in graphical fidelity since the game came out. I think of some that come close, but none that surpass.

You're really exadurating with this "same" stuff. The differences are subtle, but noticable.

Who cares if the new features have been done before? They added to the game. There's nothing to not enjoy.

Um.. Fail. what difference was halo 3 to halo 2 multiplayer. Not much. (don't get technical, you know its true)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back