Gipsy Danger 10 Foot Tall

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
UPDATE!!
Shoulders, biceps, and forearms are now fully foamed out, though I don't have a picture of them just yet. Been working on the last bit, which are the hands in all their giant glory. Once the hands are done, I want to jump right into building the cargo ship weapon. I don't think I mentioned that before, but I am building a 7 foot long cargo ship to go along with Gipsy as a main weapon. The gauntlet sword is still in question if I'll build it or not, but the ship should do fine for now.
46830971_1408568719279470_5658457393428692992_o.jpg
Cargo Ship.jpg

PerniciousDuke

RXO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
UPDATE!!
Both feet are foamed out, and I got 1 shin done as well. Did a slight test fit to see how big it was gonna be and.....oh......oh my.
Once the other shin is done I may need to focus on building the stilts right away to help support the shins. Basically building the internal skeleton as I go to keep everything from drooping and warping too much.
View attachment 258661
Is there a story behind putting the Smash Bros logo on the Elite skull?

GMer56

UPDATE!!
Once the hands are done, I want to jump right into building the cargo ship weapon. I don't think I mentioned that before, but I am building a 7 foot long cargo ship to go along with Gipsy as a main weapon. The gauntlet sword is still in question if I'll build it or not, but the ship should do fine for now.
Looks like I'll have to strap a full auto nerf rifle to my mech then XD

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Is there a story behind putting the Smash Bros logo on the Elite skull?
It's our gaming group logo. We play a lot of Halo, Smash, and Rock Band. Made it...gosh...11 years ago? When I got into making armor and stuff I decided to make a 3D version of our logo for the annual parties. Fun fact, the guitars still work, and I've played a few songs with it lol

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
UPDATE!!
Here's a full pic of Gipsy's upper half all foamed out. I've been working on the cargo ship, but wouldn't you know it 12 sheets of EVA foam still wasn't enough to make the whole darn thing, so I'll need to grab more here soon. Also, work can now begin on the internal supports and mechanisms for Gipsy. Stilts and legs are on hold until we can get the workshop moved out of the garage and to the basement of the house. Settling in for the 5-6 months of Winter we have here...yay...
47384223_2749253728421773_269707303190528000_o.jpg

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Small UPDATE!!
Just finished foaming out the cargo ship. Measures 1 foot wide, by 6.25 feet long. Just needs the seams done, and a paint job and it'll be done. About to start working on Gipsy's internal skeleton. Trying to figure out what to do for the shoulder and arm joints as I want them to be rotatable so I have good motion and not have them look stiff.
48046314_2770326816314464_7353739053117734912_o.jpg

GMer56

Using the boat as the sword, 10/10 would recommend, this thing is gonna look dope!
Think I'll put a install my Nerf axe to make the upcoming fight more interesting.

Benton188 Ain't it kinda surreal to be schleping giant robot bits around? I find it so. I'm thinking about making a video soon on my basic arm mechanism so you could use that if ya want.

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Think I'll put a install my Nerf axe to make the upcoming fight more interesting.

Benton188 Ain't it kinda surreal to be schleping giant robot bits around? I find it so. I'm thinking about making a video soon on my basic arm mechanism so you could use that if ya want.
That would be much appreciated. I've found a few ball and socket parts used on cars that might work, but I don't know how much flex they have. Plus my arms won't have quite as much weight as your would since I'm using foam for all the armor pieces.

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
UPDATE!!
Been working on plugging holes, filling gaps, and adding the pvc frame to the inside. Slow going as I have to test fit things as I go, but it's getting there. It will be interesting once i get everything into position and can wear the upper torso around and get a feel for my arms range of motion.
49184659_2804032156277263_3499347762879660032_o.jpg
48425583_378667042706312_8359631255813226496_n (1).jpg

GMer56

Looks snug in there!
Hoping to get around to filming the "How to build mech arms" New Years Day.

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
UPDATE!!
Arms are now being added. Range of motion with them seems pretty good so far. I'm able to lift them almost straight up, and I can bring them inward to meet each other. Forearms bend upward at the elbow like a natural arm would, but they don't rotate very well. Regardless, I have a decent amount of motion provided how big they are. Still working on chest opening properly, right now it kind of just bends the foam back a little at the top of the shoulders. Once the helmet is attached I don't know how well that'll keep working. For right now though I am working on getting the hands assembled and moving which'll take some time.
49949877_2846333788713766_6390920922815004672_o.jpg
50091274_363018067815264_3155818613345091584_n.jpg

xXDashIVXx

UPDATE!!
Arms are now being added. Range of motion with them seems pretty good so far. I'm able to lift them almost straight up, and I can bring them inward to meet each other. Forearms bend upward at the elbow like a natural arm would, but they don't rotate very well. Regardless, I have a decent amount of motion provided how big they are. Still working on chest opening properly, right now it kind of just bends the foam back a little at the top of the shoulders. Once the helmet is attached I don't know how well that'll keep working. For right now though I am working on getting the hands assembled and moving which'll take some time.
View attachment 264205 View attachment 264206
I love all those builds on the wall in the back, specially crotas sword. This build is sooo amazing and I want more!!! You are doing a fantastic job

GMer56

So your arm mechanism is set up like your arms in the biceps, with a handle on the forearm to move them? (currently defrosting my smaller arms as I plan to install big ones)

Badkitty

Holy cow man!!! That's freakin' awesome!!:):)
So are you going to use drywall stilts for the legs or what??
I can't wait to see the final product!!!(y)
Great work!

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
So your arm mechanism is set up like your arms in the biceps, with a handle on the forearm to move them? (currently defrosting my smaller arms as I plan to install big ones)
The biceps are attached to Female Stud Rod Ends. I'm actually surprised I didn't include a picture of them yet, so here's what they look like. The forearms are attached at the back, and have some nylon straps in the front to allow them to flex up like a natural elbow joint.
50334661_2848280465185765_5677332658003116032_o.jpg

Holy cow man!!! That's freakin' awesome!!:):)
So are you going to use drywall stilts for the legs or what??
I can't wait to see the final product!!!(y)
Great work!
Yep I'll be using stilts, but homemade ones not drywall ones. Trying to design this thing so I can climb out and have it be a statue while I'm away. I have a picture of the stilts on here in an earlier update, but they still need more reinforcement before I can test them out.

Attachments

GMer56

Yep I'll be using stilts, but homemade ones not drywall ones. Trying to design this thing so I can climb out and have it be a statue while I'm away. I have a picture of the stilts on here in an earlier update, but they still need more reinforcement before I can test them out.
You could try using 4" diameter PVC rather than the smaller diameter PVC pipes since you're planning more of a stilt than a leg encasement. 4" PVC its pretty rigid even at the long lengths and you can drill holes for weight reduction if necessary. I've been meaning to try it but you know how builds go...
Been tempted to experiment with ball joints (3d printing 'em) but figured they were too upredictable for my weight management system (translation: bungees)

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
You could try using 4" diameter PVC rather than the smaller diameter PVC pipes since you're planning more of a stilt than a leg encasement. 4" PVC its pretty rigid even at the long lengths and you can drill holes for weight reduction if necessary. I've been meaning to try it but you know how builds go...
Been tempted to experiment with ball joints (3d printing 'em) but figured they were too upredictable for my weight management system (translation: bungees)
I've switched to using wooden stilts and not the pvc. Didn't want to run the risk on PVC with them being so tall.

Harri51

Benton my friend. you are just awesome. I hope it is done for sci-fi. you crazy crazy guy you.

Benton188

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
UPDATE!!
just realized that I haven't posted an update here in a while, my bad. Things are moving along nicely with Gipsy. Hands are attached, though I have to forgo the moving fingers for now as I'm running out of time to get this done for the upcoming convention. Elbow can still flex up and down and the fingers will instead be able to be posed for now. Also finished the helmet and started to paint her blue. I've gone through so much blue already and I haven't even really started yet lol. Hopefully this weekend I can get back to work on the legs as well.
53399771_1482088025260872_2934879985195810816_o.jpg