Grey Fox - The Cyborg Ninja - Overambition at its finest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangoroth

As a quick disclaimer, I did not create this pep file. All credit goes to Darkside501st for making the best looking Grey Fox helmet I could find. For my build I will be using a re-sized version, found here http://www.4shared.com/file/a1uF8P2K/Gray_Fox__Cyborg_Ninja__Helmet.html# . If that link doesn't work I can try to find somewhere else to upload it, but I'm usually on the download side of the internet. Also as a note, I have almost no experience with this kind of electronics. I also apologize in advance, I am a bit long-winded.

Now for the fun part! Anyone familiar with Metal Gear Solid's Frank Jaeger, AKA "Grey Fox" or "That ninja..." knows that his helmet was just cool. A targeting computer mono-eye in the middle, opening faceplates, and a smooth, aerodynamic shape that probably made cleaning off blood a breeze! In concept, making some of these things happen seems easy enough. Servos with some kind of scissored hinge system to open the side faceplates, possibly something similar for the top, and of course LEDs for the eye. Now, some of you may be looking at the file and saying " There is no way you can fit your head into that opening". And you would be right. on the back side, the three faces below the indention are intended to be a separate piece that, with the use of servos and some wonky looking hinges, is supposed to fold back far enough to allow one to get their head in. As a small note, when putting on a pepped version of the helmet, putting it on back-first rather than face-first allows for more room, and is what has allowed me to scale it down from my second attempt, which was more like a bobble-head.

Now then, onto the complicated stuff ( or complicated to me anyway). The two sensor-looking nubs on the face are intended to be something like http://www.microcenter.com/product/390025/5-Position_Switch , and when both are pressed, the back portion will retract. The back portion seems to be just the right size to stash close to a dozen AA batteries, but could possibly fit something with more powerful if necessary. I was also intending to but the faceplate release switch in the chin, so that something like a 1.5- 2 second press of the button with one's chin would activate the servos without risking it happening during an ordinary conversation. And if there is room, I had considered trying to use some kind of rechargeable battery set with an AC adapter hookup so that batteries never have to be changed out, but it was my understanding those have less power. I would like to possibly have at least 2 rechargeables hooked up to the back end however, as I have no idea how easy it would be to get this thing off if the batteries die while inside. Then again, I have no idea how long the batteries would last anyway. As far as ventilation goes... I'm open to suggestions. I don't see any readily available spots to use fans on, and I would prefer not to cut holes and destroy the overall look of the helmet.

I attempted to do research on my own, but I simply lack enough of the basic skillset to really figure it out. So I now humbly ask for guidance.

And as a last second note, I know this is possibly a horrifyingly overambitious build. I've seen something SIMILAR done before by Diegator, and I've seen some Iron Man helmets with a ton of wiring in them, and some of these ideas are open to reworking as long as they look good.

And pictures, just in case 4shared still hates me because I don't pay for premium.

GreyFoxProfile_zps4510b7ae.png GreyFoxPortrait_zpsdc20e71a.png GreyFox3-4_zps5bbbe710.png I apologize if this stretches the hell out of the post. I haven't done this in years.

Attachments

• GreyFoxProfile_zps4510b7ae.png
    GreyFoxProfile_zps4510b7ae.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 571
  • GreyFoxPortrait_zpsdc20e71a.png
    GreyFoxPortrait_zpsdc20e71a.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 388
  • GreyFox3-4_zps5bbbe710.png
    GreyFox3-4_zps5bbbe710.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 461
Definitely think about how you want the thing to open up, and in what ways you can create rails for a smooth motion. A good place to start is to look at the various ways people do the Iron Man helmets. It's not the exact same, but it's a close analogy and you can see what materials they use for it.

You won't find TOO MUCH on these things here because this is a Halo forum first, and there aren't really servo based parts to halo armor. I am not trying to be discouraging, the info is out there but you will find a lot more on RPF and google really. We have some great electronic minds, so when you have specific questions on the electronics you will find fast answers but blanket "How do I do everything" questions are a lot harder to answer. Here is a good starting point though:
http://www.damngeeky.com/2012/07/21...s-you-look-like-geek-dork-on-the-streets.html

You can see the mechanics used in it.

Agee with Katsu. Can certainly answer any specific questions you have. Also, I love the video in his link, makes sense that it comes from a robotics guy.

If it was me, I would start by making the helmet pep then cutting apart the moving parts. With the paper helmet physically in hand, you can start experimenting with the moments of an armature. A cheap and weak servo will have no problem moving the paper form.

It sounds like you want to build up your skill set, and you will learn a lot from this exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back