Grif from RvB cosplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ynot44

Hello,

My name is Ynot and I am fairly new on here, I have only made one post saying that I am a new recruit so this is my first actual thread that I am starting.

About 11 years ago I started watching Red Vs. Blue and over the time I have grown very fond of the show and I have watched it numerous times and I love the comedy of the show. I ended up finding about the Pepakura program in 2012 and decided I would try and make a suit of Mjolnir armor. Lets just say that it didn't go well, I never read more anything and just would print out the pieces from the Pepakura File Index and go from there. None of them fit properly and when they would fit they would be way too big. I needed direction and that is when I found the 405th.

Since I found all of you guys I have been going through forums after forums and have done a lot of research on how to make my costume and I have finally started to do it properly. I have printed out and tested the Halo 3Mk VI High detail armor made by RobotChicken. I cut out all of the pieces in my spare time and I have made the helmet and did a test fit and it seems as though all my research on here has paid off because the helmet is the correct size. Since then I have placed the supporting pieces in and I am going to be starting on the chest piece next.
20160620_225950.jpg20160620_230018.jpg20160620_230059.jpg

Here are a couple photos of the helmet.

If you have any suggestions let me know

20160620_225950.jpg

20160620_230018.jpg

20160620_230059.jpg

Thank you, after messing up multiple times on the first times I made pep work I learned from them.
I get that it can be scary, I learned to use both 65 lbs and 110 lbs card stock depending on how much detail and how small the folds are to give it as much strength and detail as possible.
I looked at you Meta build and it turned out really well.

I have an update, I finished the chest piece. It took awhile.
20160702_062901.jpg
I found out that I need to turn the material off before I print off the pieces otherwise it uses a lot of ink.

20160702_062901.jpg

Wow that helmet pep is so perfect, chest too. That high detail file will save you a lot of sanding. Have you ever tried foam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the 405th! Looking very good, I know a good clean pep when I see one. Keep it up, your on the right track!

Thank you, I tried in the past and messed up on the scaling so I had a bit of practice.

I have not tried foam, I have looked into it a bit, I would need to do more research before I really committed to it though.

I have been working on the hand plates and was able to finish them in about 9 hours of work.
20160703_222031.jpg

Thank you for responding, I was wondering because I hope to make a suit after I finish my gravity hammer. (Ps the gravity hammer pep took 30 hours too!)

Not a problem. As for the armor, once I am completed with the whole thing I will let you know how long it took me. I have an excel file with how my scaling and progress. I will add a column for time. It might vary for you though due to sizing differences as well as with what models you use for your pep

Nicely done. Clean cuts smooth lines.......Fantastic work. This is going to be a good build.......

is this going to be a Halo 2 era Mark VI? seasons 4 and 5 of RVB were just the greatest XD

This is going to be a Halo 3 era Mark VI. I like the hand guards on the 3 era better but I must agree with you on seasons 4 and 5 being great

I have an update for my armor. I spent the last four days working on the left forearm and it took some long time due to the detailed file I chose. It took me roughly 14 hours to create it and I didn't add one part due to the complexity. I didn't add the latch, I plan on using small diameter wood rods to make it after I do the fiberglass and bondo. Let me know if any of you have done something similar and you have any suggestions.
20160709_152451.jpg20160709_152526.jpg20160709_152556.jpg

I have another update for my armor, I finished the right forearm. I would have probably finished it a lot faster if Pokemon Go hadn't come out. That is besides the point, anyway, as of right now I have 6 of the 15 pieces Pep'ed. Here are a few pics of the piece I just finished.
20160717_180048.jpg20160717_180129.jpg20160717_180156.jpg

I updating anyone who is following my thread on my progress.
As of right now I have peped out the helmet, chest piece, the two forearms pieces, and the hand gourds. I wanted to get it all done in time for PAX Prime but due to my work schedule I won't be able to pep it all in time.
I started to do the fiberglass resin of the pieces that I have so that I can finish those and go as a lazy Grif to PAX. I have a team red tee shirt that I am going to wear underneath and I wanted to know what you all thought of that idea?

I have a question for anyone that has completed their armor using the pepakura method.

I started the hardening process using the polyethylene resin used for fiberglass to harden my pieces before I apply the fiberglass strips to the inside of the pieces and I am wanted to know if the fiberglass was necessary on the smaller pieces such as the hand guards?

Attachments

• 20160802_130554.jpg
    20160802_130554.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 225
I have not finished a suit, but I have finished pieces. I can tell you that it is entirely up to the level of abuse you want your piece to be able to take. Yes, it can stay rigid with just a couple coats of resin and no fiberglass. Adding fiberglass will make it more durable. Resin by itself is brittle, if it cracks it can split right in two. Having fiberglass gives it a mesh backing so that when it cracks it still be held together by something. If you are already fiberglassing other pieces then you might as well do it to the handplates too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back