Group Project - Young Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wrapped up the pva sealing. Ended up having to do a third coat. My first coat looked great. My second coat I did at night and I think the cold temperature changed how it dried. Every piece looked it was frost bitten.
20181019_222709.jpg

So I fired up the old stove and I think the third coat will go a lot better. I should be able to primer tonight.
20181020_153533.jpg

And to follow up on yesterday's post about the belt sander. The piece on the right is just as you saw it yesterday. The piece on the left is after hitting it with 220 sand paper by hand for two minutes.
20181020_132933.jpg

Still not sure how I should be attaching the shoulders to biceps and the breastplate to the chest. Magnets just don't seem like the can hold. Gluing them straight on means harder to store.

Any suggestions?

Still not sure how I should be attaching the shoulders to biceps and the breastplate to the chest. Magnets just don't seem like the can hold. Gluing them straight on means harder to store.

Any suggestions?

1" quick release buckles? Attach one end with a 2"-3" trail piece of nylon webbing to the underside of the chest armor and the other to the underside of the shoulder piece. Contact cement in place and reinforce. Shoulders can then snap on and off as needed. I have plenty of 1" buckles and nylon webbing if needed. Just a thought.

1" quick release buckles? Attach one end with a 2"-3" trail piece of nylon webbing to the underside of the chest armor and the other to the underside of the shoulder piece. Contact cement in place and reinforce. Shoulders can then snap on and off as needed. I have plenty of 1" buckles and nylon webbing if needed. Just a thought.

That's what I'd do.

Thanks Elcorio that is how I planned to attach the bicep to the chest, but I'm talking about attaching the shoulder to the bicep. In the photo the shoulders are on the left and the biceps are on the top right.
20181021_195844.jpg

I'm thinking I should just make them permanent because it won't add a lot to the storage space.

No worries Elcorio I like the velcro idea. Problem I always have with velcro... the hook and loops stick better than the adhesive. Any tricks with foam and keeping those little buggers on there?

I always cut and trace the piece of velcro onto the foam then apply contact cement within the outline in a couple of layers to both the foam side and the sticky velcro side. Once those layers dry, cure, and you stick them, the foam will tear before that piece of velcro comes off.

I agree....I did the same w/ mine and my daughters ODSK. Quick release buckles holding shoulder to chest.....the biceps should be snug enough to not need any strapping. Some furniture foam at the mouth should do the trick.

Oh yeah Schankerz check this out!
20181022_223230.jpg
Got the go pro mounted last night.

Next up I did the butt plate straps. It will buckle hanging from the chest, but also will loop through the belt from the ab plate.
20181022_223331.jpg

Last up I managed to wrangle one bicep together. You can see the other one, there is a lot of tension on there, but I think I made it secure.
20181022_222925.jpg

We've decided to showcase the suit at Jet City Comic Show in two weeks. His mom has already put a lot of work into his back up Halloween costume so I think he should show off her hard work first!
Here's some pictures of what she's done.

Jr is going as a quidditch player. These are forearms that she's made. First time eva.
Screenshot_20181023-104005_Messenger.jpg

Jr's older brother is going to be Cayde-6. They found a friend with a 3d printer and mom has been tirelessly painting and sewing.
Screenshot_20181023-104655_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20181023-104702_Messenger.jpg

Jr has been getting tired of mom dragging her feet on the Spartan so last week he took matters into his own hands. Lol.
Screenshot_20181023-104717_Messenger.jpg

And lastly, I was told just yesterday he asked to put up a halo poster in his room.
Screenshot_20181023-104644_Messenger.jpg
(Photos courtesy of his mom)

Last edited:
I was kinda worried there. Quidditch and firearms??? Then I took a closer look at the photo. They are forearms. Lol.

I used to play Quidditch in university, you don't need firearms to make that game dangerous. Rugby tackling each other with a broomstick between your legs is a challenge.

You know how some days you set out to get way too much done? This was one of those days... except unlike usual, this time I actually finished everything I set out to! :)

Here's what I did this weekend:

First, everything got buckles. So time consuming! Cut out the little square, glue in strap, hold, glue in square, hold, glue seams, wait. But they look nice and fingers crossed they hold up to the kid's adventures.
20181026_211609.jpg

Second, velcro'd the shoulders and chest attachments. Thank you Elcorio for the tip on using contact cement.
20181027_185041.jpg 20181027_225849.jpg

Spent all Sunday black washing, silver scratching and sealing ALL the pieces. It's done.
20181028_184553.jpg

But wait! I felt like doing more. Jorge needs a canister (plus my suit has the canister too. ;) ) so I whipped this up super quick. My fear is it won't be able to hold, but I think it's worth trying. Dirtdives pointed out that being on his back he won't be able to grab it, but that's what friends and brothers are for.
20181028_184604.jpg

And to top it off... TurboCharizard's beautiful 3d printed Needler, modeled by Turbo himself. It really is quite impressive. I was able to assemble without a hitch, just an entire bottle of epoxy.
20181028_193034.jpg

Things left to do:
Visor
Padding

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back