H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep holding us in suspense with this paint job and you're likely to exceed 20 pages...

Or else we will send the virus to your phone.........
giphy-downsized.gif

Keep holding us in suspense with this paint job and you're likely to exceed 20 pages...
Haha I still have to cut in all the light diffusers and finish a few more foam details. Then I have to prep all the surfaces a little more with sanding and contouring some edges with quikseal and some seam touchup. Then I have to rubber coat and then can I paint!! So much left to doooooo!! :eek::oops:

Haha thanks man! I swear by #11 exacto knives for all cuts! My dremel and sanding block got used more than anything on this build!
I can never get a good line with the dremel or wood burner :(

How thick is the handle of the br? 2 or 3 sheets worth? It looks like 2 but I think I want to go three on my DMR but I think the rest of it will look too thick...

I can never get a good line with the dremel or wood burner :(

How thick is the handle of the br? 2 or 3 sheets worth? It looks like 2 but I think I want to go three on my DMR but I think the rest of it will look too thick...
The whole frame is 3 sheets thick and the forend and other raised areas are up to 5 sheets but sometimes cut in half for different layers.

As for the dremel, definitely need the right grid sanding wheel and a smooth hand. I use around 300 grit give or take and it works well. I love my dremel, literally use ithe for everything! I clean seams with it before gluing too and make glue bond really strong. I did a TON of sanding block work by hand on this thing too. Honestly I treated this like a carpentry build almost and it came out super clean. Very little seam filling will need to be done. Barely can see the foam layers now actually. Lol I used DFT YouTube template for a guideline but I took the build quite a bit further than he does in his tutorial. My barrel also goes the full inside length of the rifle so it's really ridged and strong. The barrel is like a .850 inch diameter wood dowel similar to an actual AR15 barrel diameter.

Last edited:
Dude.....just be glad it was me and not Fangs.........

Also, great job ExCeLLuR8. It's coming along AMAZEBALLS!!!! Did you put a spine in the BR? I don't recall if you did or not?
Yeah so the .750" wooden dowel goes the full inside length of the rifle inside so its very rigid and strong feeling. The dowel is held in with really strong friction so I'm not even going to glue it incase I have to change it one day. Also .750 is the diameter of real ar15 barrels so it looks good. Can't wait to paint it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back