H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
FANGS I just want you to know I'm on your side and I don't think of you as unforgiving at all. I enjoy your leadership and am proud to be part of the 405th.

Also ExCeLLuR8 I am super excited about the BR build and am jealous, so I want to build myself a better AR to match your quality.
Do it man do it!! I want to see an epic AR build! I'm starting to build the scope tonight. I built a charging handle for it today and it's awesome!

TurboCharizard
Well!
tenor001.gif

If that's how you really feel.....

I promise guys I'm still here working away. Been busy doing a lot of sealing and sanding, taking my time to get it perfect as possible. Its paying off, my forearms and handplates came out super clean today. I also reworked my helmet BIG time and it looks waaay more game accurate now.

I've been playing with paints.... I know, you guys are sick of my paint rants, but im stressing over it.. haha I'm really digging the extreme flexibility and durability of the house latex based paints. It's amazing quality. Using the colors that my wife determined are in chiefs halo 3 armor using her design computer at work and figuring out the RBG codes. I have narrowed down that Sherwin Williams "oakmoss" is the dominant color in halo 3, there are tons of colors in there however that play into the overall appearance though. I'm feel I'm on the right track but still experimenting and trying to tie it together to pull off halo 3. This oakmoss seems to follow the same color from various lights compared to the game.

Unfortunately the metallic acrylic color I mixed up that I was going to use, it does crack after it ages a week or so. It seems metallic colors seem to crack on foam even though generally acrylics are usually really flexible on foam. I've tried different brands and as soon as the metallic content is boosted, they crack more. I'm considering adding a latex medium to my metallic green that everyone liked previously, to see if I can get it to be flexible, but hard to say. I have heard of others doing this... but on the flip side, that super cool paint does not look like halo 3 and that's what I'm after, I'm going to keep playing with house paints to hopefully dial in on chiefs appearance.

Guess now is a good time to officially vote.. who thinks I should do the halo 3 chest gouge/dent or keep my armor clean??

20190417_171658.jpg20190417_171522.jpg20190417_171536.jpg20190417_171617.jpgpart0.png2019-04-17 08.47.14.jpg2019-04-17 11.14.42.jpg20190417_174104.jpg

It's a very close call, man. If you're doing "the chief" then do the damage. It'll be ok, I promise.

I personally like it being clean, though, and think there is no way that will ever not be legit.

As for the paints. If you can find some way to get a silver, shiny house paint in a few thin coats, then go over it with the green, that way when the paint wears off it will be metallic underneath? But other than that, after this long of experimenting and finagling, I think it's time to commit. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices in life in order to move forward. We may not get it exactly right the exact way we think we need, but I promise you this, sorry that foam work underneath, no matter how gi go about it, it's going to look absolutely fantastic. I've never seen foam work like that.
I think you should paint the thing, man. You need to paint it.

Anyone else feel this way?!

EDIT: In case I sounded a little wishy washy about the damage: your re-creating the chief. Do the damage.

Thanks guys! Yeah I think I'm narrowing in with this house paint. It's going to give the best durability and with enough time and patiences, I'll be able to build up the character of the wear and scratches to look good. In the mean time I have more sealing sanding, and rubber coating to do. I'll probably remain pretty quiet on this build thread now until I'm at a point for paint. Alot more prep work left to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back