H3 Chief Armor - Build Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I started reading this thread from the beginning earlier today, probably spent about 4-6 hours today just reading this. For those who are just joining us now and want to know the secret to how he pulled this off:

I must say, I think the first one is critically important. It's an entirely different way of looking at the build. ExCeLLuR8 truly is an 'about the journey' guy, and the results don't lie. In my next build I'm going to try to focus on developing and improving my process, and focusing on constant improvement, rather than delivering the next piece. I think this will be easier to do this time around, because I (hopefully) won't feel the pressure to have a suit. Tomorrow I'll try to write up RandomRanger's interpretation of ExCeLLuR8's process. I'm writing it for myself, but I'll share it afterwards because that's what we do here.
Thanks man, yup you hit the nail on the head! This hobby is a balancing act as TurboCharizard once mentioned before, a trinity more or less. A balance of quality, production speed, and budget. I will be the first to admit that quality was my #1 goal. I did not put a price tag on this build and I have more money sunk into then most care to spend on cosplay. Speed was never a goal, I did not put a time frame or pressure goal on myself except for the last couple weeks which is merely just final achievable completion. I've got 8 months in on this thing. Over that time I rebuild pieces, started over, I tweaked pieces, made adjustments, stared at it for 2 months, realize I needed to fix this or that to get more game accurate. You get the idea. I laugh and joke, this project taught me how far my OCD actually goes... haha

Paint job is done!! Onto making neck seal, shoulder undersuit and all the electronics!

20190713_150953.jpgScreenshot_20190713-141942_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190713-141649_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190713-133603_Gallery.jpgIMG-20190713-WA0094.jpgIMG-20190713-WA0079.jpgIMG-20190713-WA0019.jpg

That is a beautiful work of art, man. Absolutely top- notch foam smithing. I've never seen any foam work that good before.
Thanks bro that really means alot, I'm humbled! There are some many amazing foam artist out there and I just feel like I'm trying to keep up! I'm so happy with how this build turned out though, never thought I'd actually have halo 3 MC armor one day. Now I just need to do all the finishing pieces like neck seal and lights, but I'm so excited to get this thing out in public to hopefully make people happy to see halo 3 Chief! This project has been so fun and I'm honestly considering starting a second build out of the same suit just so I can have spare pieces or even maybe customize a little more like a multiplayer spartan. We'll see, I'm so excited for philly next weekend!

I'm not sure the forum here can handle the suspense of another build like this, but go for it!

OOOH! DO THE META!
I know I've probably broke the server with all my posts and photos!! Haha I'm torn whether to start a halo 1 ce build or to just slowly start another halo3 MK VI. Or maybe a halo 2 MKVI.. hmmmm so many decisions

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: absolutely astounded by the work you've put in this.

Hard for me to tell in the pictures; are the arms removable?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: absolutely astounded by the work you've put in this.

Hard for me to tell in the pictures; are the arms removable?
Thanks man!! Yeah the cable separates with jst connectors and follows the elastic shoulder straps. I soldered and glued those cables into the connectors too, to make them really strong!

I re-looked through your thread but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. May I ask what paints you used? I don't necessarily want to do the same colors as you, but I was looking for what metallic acrylics would be good to use (or if it even maters). Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back