H4 Air Assault Build

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Tenebris, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Keeper of Con Lists Community Staff

You may not turn you head....but you win the ugly sweater contest!!

2. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Thanks for the confirmation~
    Ill try and edit the mesh a little and get it a little smaller, but if that doesn't work Ill print it as is.

Dirtdives likes this.
  3. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Well. Problem. After looking more closely at the model, I have found that I most likely won't be thick enough. Too bad I already took several hours to fix it with the current thickness. Any thoughts? The first thing that comes to mind is to select the inside and scale it in, and then reset the z values of the then angled edges, though I don't know I that will create any problems, or even how to just select the inside.

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117 Well-Known Member

Been a while since I’ve been in blender. That might work. Or possibly could remove inside faces and then the solidify modifier? I don’t know just shots in the dark here. I’m not much of an experienced modeler myself.

Dirtdives likes this.
  5. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

The solidify modifier made a complete mess of interior geometry, intersecting geometry, and non-manifold faces. That's what I was referring to when I said that I took time to fix it. So that's not an option. Good thought though.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Dirtdives and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  6. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

*Deleted

7. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Give it a run through Meshmixer and the do an offset to add thickness. It'll take ages longer than Blender to compute but it might work.

8. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Member

After fixing the non-manifold edges, I'm getting a decent, printable model. Double check the order of modifiers on the right. Make sure that if you apply modifiers in blender, that you apply them in the order they are stacked...top to bottom. Otherwise, you'll get the mess you are talking about. (Example: if you have Subsurface before solidify, it gets ugly)

Untitled.jpg

9. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

The issue is fixed, that's just an explanation as to why I won't be trying solidify again. The thicken shell tool looks promising though.

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Well. My computer is trying very hard not to burst into flames. Meshmixer has never performed great for me, but wow. Anyway, here's this.
    upload_2018-12-20_23-36-19.png
    I know very few of the tools in meshmixer, up until now I've only used it for splitting. Hit close cracks, it froze for like 12 minutes, and then this happened. I remember detecting a non-manifold face there, but it looked fine. I also did some editing on the mesh around the hole, it should make it easier to scale. Anyway, back to this.

This process is much more involved than what I had anticipated.

11. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

So it’s been a while since my last post. Long story short, I’ve had to put a pause on this project for the time being, I apparently have much more outside work I need to get done than what I had thought, so I have to ration time. I’ll probably have to maintain radio silence for a while longer.

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  12. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Good luck. Happy holidays

Dirtdives likes this.
  13. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Thank you~