H4 Air Assault Build

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by Tenebris, Dec 9, 2018.

1. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Member

Well done Tenebris. You mind posting this to thingiverse? Otherwise, I could do it and note you on it as the collaborator. Let me know. Either way, it's a beautiful helmet and I'm glad to be apart of it.

2. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Thanks, I'll post it on thingiverse, it'll probably make it easier to find for anyone that's interested. Now comes the actual build.

Dirtdives and xXDashIVXx like this.
  3. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Member

Before you post it, double check your model for more non-manifold edges. My print is showing trouble in the mouth guard area. If you want, I can fix it for you.

4. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Im doing a small scale test print now, if there are issues, I should be able to find them there, Ill double check it though.

Dirtdives likes this.
  5. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Here's a render~

Attached Files:

6. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002 Well-Known Member

This is a really solid and good looking model! Fantastic job so far! Really fine work, keep it up!

Especially considering you *claim* to be an amateur...but seriously. Really great work. Cant wait to see what else you make!

Dirtdives likes this.
  7. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Thanks!

Does anyone know a good way to scale models for 3d printing? Just looked through some old threads, but they're all for pep files. I've heard of armorsmith, but I don't know if it's worth the $30.

Dirtdives likes this.
  8. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

If you plan on making multiple costumes that involve 3D printed parts or other pep builds, most certainly worth it. Having the ability to see everything rigged up on an avatar and check fit before printing out a dummy piece is fantastic.

Dirtdives likes this.
  9. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

That's good to know, Ill probably try it then.

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Test print complete. There are some weird gaps between some layers, don't know what the story behind that is, otherwise it turned out pretty decent.
    IMG_4862.JPG IMG_4863.JPG IMG_4864.JPG

11. TurboCharizard

Those gaps could be one of a number of things but mostly limited to nozzle and filament so they're cheap and easy fixes.

My best guess is that there's a partial clog in either your nozzle or PFTE tube which just needs to be cleaned with a cold pull or run some purge filament through to clear any debris. If the problems keep occurring it might be a marred nozzle tip from running into the bed and it's time for a nozzle swap.

It could also be tied to filament itself having an uneven gauge (is oversized, gets caught and doesn't feed properly or is undersized and doesn't fill enough volume) which could be from poor filament quality, a bad batch or moisture getting into old filament. I'm not sure what you're running through your machine so it's hard to pinpoint issues with printer goo which is why I'd guess it's a nozzle issue.

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  12. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

Alright, Ill clean out the nozzle before the next print and see how it goes, thanks~

Dirtdives and TurboCharizard like this.
  13. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

So, this is a problem.
    upload_2018-12-17_14-25-24.png
    Trying to scale it, but it looks comically large if it's scaled up enough to take on and off.
    upload_2018-12-17_14-26-19.png
    That's normal size/\

Here it is scaled to fit when taking on and off\/
    upload_2018-12-17_14-27-39.png
    upload_2018-12-17_14-28-2.png

14. mkshane81

mkshane81 Well-Known Member

It does look disproportional when it compared to a naked frame. That being said, once paired with the bulk that the armor provides, it will likely appear much more accurate. Have you attempted loading a torso piece with it, just to play around with the proportional scale with armor?

-Matt

15. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

That's probably true, but I don't have a torso piece designed.
    upload_2018-12-17_14-57-12.png
    So then is that a normal looking scale? First build, I have nothing to compare it to.

16. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

I think it looks ok. You may need to print it small and trim away the bottom to fit, but try and pull a random torso peice from the armory and compare it to that. I think it looks great!

Dirtdives likes this.
  17. TurboCharizard

The easiest way to match your scaling is to check the proportion of your helmet to the strapping on the chest piece to get the correct width. You'll also need to consider that the in game model doesn't have the requirement of being removable or to fit a human head. Unless you're built like a Spartan, some things will look a little funny. I'm not the broadest of guys but with the flat panels of the Reach torso, some shoulder plates and standing tall with shoulders back everything looks in scale and in universe believable.
    2018-04-30 (5).png DSC_1055.JPG 40998528_10155856428750784_1810152428331335680_n.jpg

Dirtdives and MoeSizzlac like this.
  18. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

Agreed, but not gonna lie, in some of your cab pictures you look darn short :)

Dirtdives and TurboCharizard like this.
  19. TurboCharizard

Welcome to me being short. Fun fact is that I'm the perfect height for my workplace. If a self contained breathing hood isn't available in an emergency and you have to use emergency breathing air 5'9" is the magical height for reaching between connection points with the added benefit of not hitting your head on everything I'll take convenient situations in exchange for looking short in some photos.

20. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117 Well-Known Member

I would just download a chest pdo file from the armory and throw it in armor smith to get better visualization of the scaling. You can also mod the helmet so that the back can be clipped on and off as well. I did this with a Warmaster helmet due to the odd size of the head opening (And it’s still a tight fit ). But you’ll get a visible seam as well. Just another idea
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  21. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

upload_2018-12-18_12-49-52.png
    Ah yes, that's much more reasonable
    Though it does raise some concerns. Like how am I actually going to move my head around? Should probably figure that out before I make it.

22. TurboCharizard

As Dr. Ian Malcolm says.
    giphy.gif

23. Tenebris

Tenebris New Member

True enough. I probably chose the most inconvenient helmet to match this armor, but I'll probably figure it out.

Dirtdives likes this.
  24. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

Haha, wait till I finish my timmy helmet! Sure its round and smooth, but it has A TAIL AND FINS! I am going to bump into everything on my torso, not to mention I'll have to build a helioskrill if I want to wear it because I dont have any blue armor!

Dirtdives and mblackwell1002 like this.
  25. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Tenebris the scaling looks pretty good. The smaller you can get away with will result in more mobility.

Here's a helmet to body comparison. Keep in mind I also cannot turn my head any more than 45* in either direction with my chest piece on.
    20171222_140219.jpg
    Merry Christmas!