Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha

Military Liaison
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Member DIN
S037
So, this has been a long time coming. For the past month and a half I've been working on a Hydra, one of my favorite weapons in Halo 5. The goal was to create something with my 3d printer and make it to where the outside observer wouldn't be able to tell if it was 3d printed. Oh and to make it 1:1 scale. So there's that. First thing was first a file. I gathered an excellent Hydra file from thingiverse.com at the link below:
UNSC Hydra [Halo 5] by misterchiefcostuming

Unfortunately there were some errors in the files. Most likely from the Pepakura conversion.

18301462_10100363647759023_5000227859345369061_n.jpg

So I hoped into a 3d modeling program and utilized what little skill I have to fine tune the models and fill in the imperfections. Once they were filled I proceeded to print at the game accurate 36 inches.
Here are some of the aformentioned prints as they showed up raw out of the printer.

20170611_142741.jpg

Also for getting rid of those pesky supports...a deburring tool. It's amazing.

20170613_230003.jpg

After a few failed prints and some fine tuning on print settings. Here are all 23 parts printed. T-Rex for scale.

20170616_071718.jpg

I took a 2 part epoxy and superglue to assemble the weapon into 4 separate sections. Then of course I had to tape them together to get an idea on the size of this beast. It's going to be huge.

20170616_184038.jpg

In order to clean up the pesky assembly seams, I utilized a technique I found on Punished Props. Mixing baby powder with super glue, filling the seam, and hitting it with an accelerant. Works amazing.

20170623_195931.jpg

Here are all 4 sections assembled with some clean up and basic priming complete.

20170701_191614.jpg

Next I assembled it into a top and bottom complete half. Cleaned up those seams and really got into the great and arduous task of cleaning up the full weapon. Lots and lots of sanding...filler primer...and sanding. Rinse repeat.

20170707_201506.jpg

Both halves taped together cause reasons.

20170708_012117.jpg

I may have been premature on this step, but I couldn't resist completing final assembly. Got the clamps out for one more run of 2 part epoxy and superglue.

20170708_092654.jpg

And here she is in all of her glory. ARa and myself for scale :D

20170708_104622.jpg

20170708_201624.jpg

Here she is right now in her current state. More sanding and some Bondo to fill in some errors. Lots of work left to do, but man I am so proud of where this is heading.

20170709_211614.jpg

Feedback, questions, comments always welcome.

20170708_012117.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa...

That thing looks amazing. I plan on printing one eventually, but I think I'll either model it myself or wait for a High-res version. I don't want to sand all those edges smooth on that thing, especially since it is so detailed.

Nice work! I hope to see that bad boy finished and with some paint!

Hydra is one of those guns that look good no matter what you do. that will look insane with a suit! Keep it up, it's gonna look awesome!

Thanks! Unfortunately, with 3d printing you can never dodge all of those layer lines. And if you print at the insane resolutions (.05 layer height and such) the time of the print just grows exponentially. It's really not that bad and filler primer helps quite a lot.

Awesome mate! I have tears in my eyes:cry: soo beautiful!
Are you going with the default paint scheme or are you aiming for some fancy skin?

Thanks! Unfortunately, with 3d printing you can never dodge all of those layer lines. And if you print at the insane resolutions (.05 layer height and such) the time of the print just grows exponentially. It's really not that bad and filler primer helps quite a lot.
Yeah, I have a 3D printer. I'm meaning the edges from the model being video-game resolution. It's not exactly super high-res. I've modeled dozens of really high-res models for people (myself included) to 3D print. I like my models to be really smooth so that I don't have to deal with all those low-poly edges when post processing. It just makes the process a lot faster, and I can have a more detailed prop.

Build lines are inevitable for sure. I print my props at 0.15- 0.1mm to (once again) require less sanding and be more detailed. :p I don't wanna accidentally sand away fine detail.

Awesome mate! I have tears in my eyes:cry: soo beautiful!
Are you going with the default paint scheme or are you aiming for some fancy skin?

I was going to go with one of the skins initially, but I kind of have the UNSC armory vibe going with my current weapons so default it is.

Yeah, I have a 3D printer. I'm meaning the edges from the model being video-game resolution. It's not exactly super high-res. I've modeled dozens of really high-res models for people (myself included) to 3D print. I like my models to be really smooth so that I don't have to deal with all those low-poly edges when post processing. It just makes the process a lot faster, and I can have a more detailed prop.

Build lines are inevitable for sure. I print my props at 0.15- 0.1mm to (once again) require less sanding and be more detailed. :p I don't wanna accidentally sand away fine detail.

Ahh I got you now. Yea its always a balance with time to get the print done and getting that awesome high res print done. Makes it fun :D

Ahh I got you now. Yea its always a balance with time to get the print done and getting that awesome high res print done. Makes it fun :D
Haha, yeah. Sometimes I just get impatient and am like "Ahh FINE I'LL DO 0.2mm! RRGGH." :D

Depends on the mood, I guess.

But when I do 0.1mm, I'm always impressed with the results. It's usually worth it when I think "OOHHH, that's a pretty part." :p

speaking of, what resolution did you print at?

Last edited:
I started at .125 and noticed that since its such a large print I could get away with .2. So in the end it was about half and half. I personally think a huge part is the filament. The PLA+ I'm using does a great job at filling itself out.

That thing is a monster. How much does that beast weigh? In all honesty I don't like the hydra in H5 but it does look pretty awesome.

Honestly not sure on the weight. She's not as heavy as she looks though. It has minimal infil throughout so each piece is almost hollow. And it's made of a lightweight plastic.

With all the seams filled it looks so pretty. :)
But damn... It's so huge! Was it intentional to make it overly big (if the AR is 1:1)?

With all the seams filled it looks so pretty. :)
But damn... It's so huge! Was it intentional to make it overly big (if the AR is 1:1)?
Well, I imagine he just made it 1:1 scale for maximum awesomeness. I've messed with the in-game models, and he's got the scaling correct.
Here's an image of the in-game models in my slicer
upload_2017-7-12_12-13-50.png

mblackwell1002 AR is 100cm (39,2inch), while Hydra is 91,4cm (36inch). Well, normally those 10cm/over 3inch are clearly visible if you compare something side by side.
Also, I wasn't judging, I was just curious if the AR is 1:1 or not, if it was intended, etc.

mblackwell1002 AR is 100cm (39,2inch), while Hydra is 91,4cm (36inch). Well, normally those 10cm/over 3inch are clearly visible if you compare something side by side.
Also, I wasn't judging, I was just curious if the AR is 1:1 or not, if it was intended, etc.
That's the exact same measurements the models^ in the image have. :) His look pretty much proportional.

lol, sorry. Confused:confused:
:D

The AR model he used is Michael Flannigan's, his models are all intended to be mechanical with springs and such. If he scaled it down, it would mess with part allowances. (causing the parts not to fit together) So I imagine it's 100% game scale because Michael makes his models full scale (like everyone else, lol)

Yea all my weapons are 1:1 scaled (AR included). I stand 6'2 so it works for more pretty much. I like to keep all the weapons true to scale. I know most scale them down, but I'm all about accuracy. hah

Oooh, I understand! That's why it looked a bit big on you! Not negative - I think we all love big boomsticks. ;)
Can't wait for the painting stage, when it'll get some colors...

Dude, I have no painting skill hah. I know how to fill seams, its just tedious. this standard Hydra paintjob is terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back