Halo 1 M6D Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvide dude

Having gathered sufficient confidence to actually start a project, I thought i should start something that would be relatively rigid, small, but detailed enough to turn out decently.

And so, yesterday i started Quixand's Pepakura M6D Pistol (The one from Halo 1), it's turning out pretty good so far, however i cannot post pictures until tomorrow.

I planned on using the pep model as a sort of template for some variety of wood, but now i'm not too sure, do you think i should substitute wood for something else?

(pics late tomorrow)

All comments and criticism welcome!

I love the Quixand model as I think it's a nice one to start modifying. But do look at the 3D image before putting it together. There are elements that don't really glue to each other but more fitted into each other.

The magazine is nice but the model doesn't allow the insertion of the magazine into the handle. The "heel" of the handle need to be fitted to the handle and not glued directly to it. And I think it's a little big the way it is. I would scale it down by about 15 to 20%. I've got good size hands and it would be very hard for me to shoot this thing. I can barely reach the trigger and it doesn't sit well within my hand.

The best material to use is the one you are familiar with. If you plan on making a cast, you can use anything from insulation foam to plaster to wood. Insulation foam is easy to work with, plaster is easy to carve and inexpensive, wood is solid but hard to cut and shape. You can also use a variety of materials into the same piece if you are casting. A foam base with plaster (or bondo) with pieces of wood would work great.

If you are using wood, I suggest using a wood with a closed grain to avoid having the grain of the wood transfer to the mold. Or cover the wood grain with plaster that is then sanded.

I'll love to see what you come up with.

awsome choice but i have also wanted to make a pistol but the ones i have found dont show numbers when i print them out so if you could give me the page if you have it or better yet send the file to my email. i would give you a coockie if you would do that. :)

BTW my email is youmees123@gmail.com

You can turn the numbers back on using any file. There is just a setting along the top of the window of both Pep Designer and Viewer.

Meleck said:
The magazine is nice but the model doesn't allow the insertion of the magazine into the handle.

Just cut out the bottom rectangles of the grip, and the mag will slide right in. That's what I did to my model.

mks81 said:
You can turn the numbers back on using any file. There is just a setting along the top of the window of both Pep Designer and Viewer.

Yeah, in pepakura designer, click '2D Menu,' then in the dropdown click 'Edge ID,' then zoom in really far, and you should see the fold numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
mks81 said:

i know, the numbers are on and showed on the part screen when zoomed in (not showed when numbers are turned off) but when i press print preview it does not show the nubers and also doesent show the numbers when printed our , only the outline.

(@ Meleck): thanks, i think i'd like to go for plaster, do you have any reccomendations for a particular type? (total plaster noob, sorry :D)

(@ Chevysrule): lol, i did that, but couldnt be bothered finishing it, so i cut the clip in half and jammed it into the badly cut hole. Looks okayish though.

(@ estonianguy): i sent you an email with both the original and scaled versions.

oops have to go for a bit, pics soon

EDIT:

pics finally:

[attachment=14173:p21-12-09_19.33.JPG]

[attachment=14174:p21-12-09_18.44.JPG]

[attachment=14175:p21-12-09_01.21[01]

[attachment=14178:p21-12-09_01.24.JPG]

[attachment=14177:p21-12-09_01.23[01]

[attachment=14176:p21-12-09_01.23.JPG]

:D i think i'll go outside and try out my wood crafting skills now..

You do know that you left out a piece, right? It's the part that needs to be glued on to the bottom of the grip.

If you don't know what I'm talking about check post #4 here.

PureSuicide said:
Having gathered sufficient confidence to actually start a project, I thought i should start something that would be relatively rigid, small, but detailed enough to turn out decently.

And so, yesterday i started Quixand's Pepakura M6D Pistol (The one from Halo 1), it's turning out pretty good so far, however i cannot post pictures until tomorrow.

I planned on using the pep model as a sort of template for some variety of wood, but now i'm not too sure, do you think i should substitute wood for something else?

(pics late tomorrow)

All comments and criticism welcome!

its awesome that your building something like this! i think you might even want to try using sheet aluminum because it is near the same color as the pistol in combat evolved. good luck!

(@XULUX11) I thought about it, but i think it might be a bit hard to work into the correct shape..

(@ Chevysrule):Yes, i am aware, lol, i had not completed the model at the time, but i have done that bit now. :D

[attachment=14179:p22-12-09_18.23[01].JPG]

For plaster, it's easier if you have a structure to work on. Plaster is used the same way you would use bondo. If you start directly with plaster, it would be better to start with a cast block from which you would carve your piece.

Working with plaster, I suggest starting with a foam base structure to which you add plaster which is then carved for detail. Carving plaster is very easy and requires very little. A sharp metal piece is all that it needs. Since plaster is water based, putting on top of pepakura might warp your piece unless your cardstock is sealed with glue or spray varnish.

Plaster of Paris would work fine. You'll have to try your hand at mixing it as it can be very runny to a toothpaste consistency. Know that once it starts to solidify there is no turning back, there is no way to get back to a runny texture.

Thanks Meleck, I have worked a bit with plaster of paris before, just not in that way.. I was thinking a wooden frame, as I have sufficient amount of that.

Also I dont exactly know how I'd go about scratch building from a slab of plaster anyway, where would I start?

But hey, I can use more than one material, so I think definately something with plaster.

Anywho, I have drawn up a simple template, that is I simplified the grip of the pep file for cutting out of the wood, here's a pic:

[attachment=14189:pepakura m6d.jpg]

That ought to allow me to add detail later on, also, scale is a bit smaller than first pep one, because i wanted it to actually fit my hand the way it's meant to.

i made the m6d pep the other day and i got the magazine in fine. i just cut open the bottom of the handle (leaving a little
edge). it sits in nicely, but comes out when you pull it.

[okay guys, i finished my grip model using a scroll saw, and it looks good if i do say so myself, i can't believe i actually made something half decent! I used two identicle cut outs of the same piece of wood screwed together for the grip + a trigger guard (1 piece of wood)

anyway, i'm wondering if you guys think i should use this method for the rest, or pep/plaster/whatever it.

My first go at it (using a coping saw)

[attachment=14207:p23-12-09_13.36[01]

Second go at it (using scroll saw)

[attachment=14208:p23-12-09_16.17.JPG]

Screwed together

[attachment=14209:p23-12-09_17.13.JPG]

[attachment=14210:p23-12-09_17.15.JPG]

PureSuicide said:
Thanks Meleck, I have worked a bit with plaster of paris before, just not in that way.. I was thinking a wooden frame, as I have sufficient amount of that.

Also I dont exactly know how I'd go about scratch building from a slab of plaster anyway, where would I start?

But hey, I can use more than one material, so I think definately something with plaster.

If you have a lot of wood and are used to working with that I suggest you do so. Then you can put plaster on top to hide the wood grain and carve the details. You would then have a gun with a wooden core and a plaster exterior. A plaster exterior would ned to be reinforced because plaster scratches easily. Nice if you are carving it, bad when it`s a finished piece.

You could also look at the spliced weapons if you plan on doing weapons based on wood. They would be an awefully good start.

Meleck said:
If you have a lot of wood and are used to working with that I suggest you do so. Then you can put plaster on top to hide the wood grain and carve the details. You would then have a gun with a wooden core and a plaster exterior. A plaster exterior would ned to be reinforced because plaster scratches easily. Nice if you are carving it, bad when it`s a finished piece.

You could also look at the spliced weapons if you plan on doing weapons based on wood. They would be an awefully good start.

That method sounds good but where do you get plaster and how do you use it?

Also, if you have access to a Dremel tool, you should use that to make your cuts more accurate and add in more details later.

Fuzzy the Bear said:
Also, if you have access to a Dremel tool, you should use that to make your cuts more accurate and add in more details later.

lol! I forgot that I had a dremel tool + a box full of bits + a new diamond cutting wheel, thanks so much for reminding me fuzzy! :D

Also, pics of new metal bits and trigger:

[attachment=14224:p24-12-09_18.07.JPG]

[attachment=14225:p24-12-09_18.08.JPG]

[attachment=14226:p24-12-09_18.08[01]

thats looking good. as for the method, whatever works best for you i would think. i mean , other people here (such as yourself) could get a really nice effect out of wood, but if i were to try that, id fail.

im planning to make the bulk of the body (handle,main chambers...)using styrofoam, then the rest (hand gaurd, lazer/scope cover, trigger...)out of pep. then resin the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back