Halo 2 Master Chief Helmet, The most accurate out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadguy said:
I'd be DAMN proud of that helmet.

The only thing I can see to improve on it would be that there's a whole lot of 90 degree angles cut into that thing where there's actually tapered edges drawn onto the ingame model. As a result, some of the grooves are sized oddly to my eye, but then again, I study the in-game helmet all the time.

Other than that, it's well proportioned, and the differences between it, and the in-game model have been pretty minimized. If you overlay the game helmet with it, you'll spot the differences, but as a costume, with no direct comparisons to the real thing, I'd say it's perfect.

Easily the best one I have ever seen.

Thanks for your complements. I would like to say that my version of the helmet is based off the high resolution cut scene version, not the in-game low res version. My rendition is capturing what the real world version would look like without the restrictions of polygon counts in the in-game world. Here is an example of a high res version with the sharp cuts.
hires.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Deadguy said:
He essentially copied what he was able to find, using computers, 3d modelling systems and stuff. That's less of art and more of just straight manufacturing. His version also completely ignores a lot of bevels and stuff for some reason.

I'd call his helmet a great starting point, and if ya'll wanted, I could start highlighting areas that are different from the game helmet so you don't do the same thing. His helmet is very useful in giving everyone a sense of what's going on with the game helmet, and excellently made, but it's not perfect.

It's great, but by using it for basic reference we should be able to turn it up a notch.

OK, THIS ONE I'M GONNA HAVE FUN WITH....

First off I don’t remember you being in the studio with me when I was making my rendition of the helmet. So you don’t have any authority in saying how I did anything. I've been working on this thing for more than a year now. I didn’t just go copy anything. I have a degree in fine arts and computer animation, which allowed me the freedom to build an accurate high resolution version of the master chief model. I then used a high resolution model of my self to plan out my sizing and the accuracy of the scale. USING MY ARTISTIC ABILITY TO SCULPT, I was able to sculpt the helmet and the details. Then using other techniques (used by professionals in the industry) I was able to get a symmetrical and highly detailed version of the helmet. Now, I’m not saying its perfect, but you do not have any right jumping to conclusions about my methods or capabilities.

Everyone has a different definition of artistic. This is one problem I had when I was going to school. My art senior adviser was certain that art wasn't artistic until it stated a message. (usually one that pissed people off in some fashion)

I always concidered my self good at art from a technical standpoint, but she disagreed. She would say things like art doesn't count if it's a photorealistic portrait, because it just copies life. (you should see some of my portraits, they're not bad)

It's the same thing with this, just because it copies someone's elses original vision, doesn't mean it's not an amazing piece of art. It is a fantastic sculpt.

thanks for the reply. and the inspiration behind making my suit look better, i thought mine was good until you showed up ;)

i may take you up on that offer. i'll pm you if i decide to.

what 3d program do you use for the models? You seem to be quite good at it.

Hey man,
I'm sorry that my comments got you riled up and stuff. If you look at where I said that stuff, it was being said to the site owner who was discouraged by the quality of your helmet. The idea being that his (yours)helmet was one way to look at it, and cheer up, you'll be able to look at his helmet, and decide how it's not perfect to you, and then make the perfect helmet because you've got great helmet reference pics to start off with.

I already know your methods, or at least what was revealled in the thread they were originally posted in. What you posted here was pretty similar to what was already there. I know it's a challenge to get a fake, non-proportioned helmet to work in the real world. I went through it too. I was under the impression that you'd used the actual game model and put it as an overlay onto your 3d scanned head, which was why I'd talked about the "more technology" less art.

There are many who say that no matter what you do with a computer, it can't be considered art because of the naturally corrective properties inherent in it. I don't agree with that view 100%, but I used that as my basis to say it was a technical work, rather than an artistic one, because more than likely, you slaved to match the 3d one you'd made, rather that freehand it to capture any artistic essence of it.

For comparison, a Nitemare Armor halo helmet is artistic in that it really doesn't try to strongly resemble the actual halo helmet in the game. That makes it an artistic interpretation of the helmet. Yours looks like what my Halo 3 helmet is hopefully going to head towards (with my meager budget, time constraints, and questionable ability) where technical accuracy is more important than getting the "feel" of the helmet.. because I don't consider myself an artist and won't be satisfied with just getting "the feel" of it.

Unless you've never seen any of the armor on ebay over the past two years, you've probably already seen my helmet. It was done just before Halo 2 was out, and before there were many reference shots online. Mine is the Steeldreams helmet, and was initially rushed and then later "repaired" as reference photos came out, however, I never rebuilt the molds, we merely touched them up. There's a ton of stuff I still want to fix on it, but I'm saving the effort for the creation of my Halo 3 helmet. In case anyone else missed it.. it's definately a different helmet now.

The production value of yours is much higher than mine, I don't deny that for a heartbeat. It's also much more accurate than mine. However, does that make it perfect?

The bevels I mentioned in my post exist as artwork on the figure only. It's not that a higher resolution would have revealed them. They exist as bevels though. Your version is an interpretation I don't agree with. I think it's cool that we disagree on that. You interpreted 90 degrees where I interpret slopes and angles.

That doesn't devalue it at all, it's just not something I agree with, thereby making it less than perfect in my estimation.

The photograph you provided as reference of the 90 degree lines is an artist rendering. In theory at least, the artist had the same kind of reference material that I have now.. the in-game helmet plus high-res renders.

Well, when I interpret the high-res pictures, just like they did, I saw something different than they did. With our "combined 35 years experience" of making steel armor for museums based only on our interpretations of 2D photographs and artwork of destroyed museum pieces, I'd say that leaves us in a slightly better position to interpret a design like that than most artists might be. We've taken great pains to get what's called the armourers eye over the years, and our focus has been on copying someone else's art (the original armourer) and redisplaying it, rather than adding our own "flair" because the accuracy is paramount.

In the end, it's all about interpretation.. I see bevels, you see 90 degree angles. I think the difference is fine.

All in all... I got nothin' but love for you and yer helmet, and I hope you accept my explanation as the apology it's intended to be.

My initial asessment wasn't fair, but at the time I made it, it didn't have to be fair, you weren't here... know what I mean? I was more concerned with Adam giving up than being fair to someone I figured I'd never meet with abilities I'm still jealous of.

Figures, don't it?

As you shouldn’t give up... I've learned allot and have gained tons of experience in doing this project. All prop builders have to have projects to perfect their craft, yours might as well be good ol master chief... : )

As for Deadguys comment.... I accept your apology. I have nothing to prove, my work speaks for its self, I'm not going to turn this into a pissing contest. That’s my artist’s interpretation of the character... and that’s that... I just didn’t find your assumptions and critiques about my methods and abilities to be very professional. As I’m sure you wouldn’t want me challenging your techniques and eye of interpretation.

To everyone else... excuse the off topic banter.... you may now continue

blue, In my opinion you have made the best looking MC helmet out there better than mine, if you ever want to work on a project together let me know. I hope that is encouraging for you.

That is encouraging. I would love to work on a project with you... Thank you for the complement, that truly does mean allot to me.

Thought you guys might like to see the body cast I did, for the armor sculpt. These are kinda old, its all painted now and has clay on it... But I'll wait to show that. MWAH AH AH AHHHHH (evil laugh). I'll just tell you this.. getting a body cast SUCKS.... It physically hurts sooooo bad.

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01416.jpg

DSC01419.jpg

Nightmare Armor Studios said:
blue, In my opinion you have made the best looking MC helmet out there better than mine, if you ever want to work on a project together let me know. I hope that is encouraging for you.

WHOA! :shock:

Blue's Bodycast

I see that you selected the body casting technique to size the suit. Did you consider using a manikin sized just like you?

I'm interested in the technique for making your full size body cast.
To make sure I get the terms straight, the shell that surrounds your body is the "mold": the "casting" is the positive solid or hollow form that is formed inside the completed mold. It should be an accurate copy of your body.
Did you lay on your stomach first to make the casting of your back, Then after it hardens, turn over the casting and lay down in it while the upper cast of your front side is completed? Did you make the places where your back and buttocks touch the floor extra strong so they do not have big "flat spots", due to your weight pressing down on the floor.
Is there a split in the mold, or does your brother have to cut you out of it?
What, if anything, do you wear while being cast? How long does it take to get hard enough to get a strong mold.
How thick is the casting?
Does it get hot while it cures?
Is the finished mold strong enough to make more than one body casting?
Do you shosh the cast all around so the body cast is hollow, or do you fill the entire mold with liquid foam ? If you use the sloshing technique, how thick do you try to make the casting.

I for one would like to see some step by step shots of the body casting procedure. This is something most any accurate costume would need to start out with.

Thanks for your timely response.

whistles73

[/list]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back