Halo 3 - Custom High Detail Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the sharp edge of a machinists ruler. They are cheap and can be found at many auto parts stores.

They make a very nice sharp edge, when you bend the paper.

darthturkey said:
Worokin on it if i cut the rim where the head goes in like normal i guess my head should fit wuite comfertably i sized it out at 25.6 cm height wsie. i have some pics up soon but you sure as hell werent kidding when you said it was hard.
not sure if the first part is a question but hehe, yea, i definatly wasnt kidding! hehehe, theres an even harder torso on the way!!!

Skullcandy Girl said:
THanks for posting 3D model pics :D Ergh, this thing is just kickin my ass, I may start over, nothing is lining up even up the middle of the helmet, I see I didn't fold stuff enough or I folded too much, and I did score using the pen technique, so the curvature of the helmet is wrong :(

Ah learning is fun XD So it's not a total loss
no problim, just though they might help. eh-ooh! that doesnt sound good. wait u used the pen scoring technique? hmmm, i dunno, ive built two cuz i want happy with the first so dont give up.

hehe, yea, learn-ding is fun!!1 :D

Darth-Malevelus said:
I use the sharp edge of a machinists ruler. They are cheap and can be found at many auto parts stores.

They make a very nice sharp edge, when you bend the paper.
i use them too, they help even if youve scored using a pen. they help keep it cleaner.

----

right, heres some eye candy of the torso that i have in progress:

h3_chest_wip_01.jpg

h3_chest_wip_02.jpg

FS

Last edited by a moderator:
:not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy:

You let me know when your torso is ready, helmet almost complete! Cant wait to start your new torso!!!!!!!!!

I love your work man!

Im anxiously waiting for more parts to start. If I could get my hands on the models bits, I could work on them too!

Sucks not having an xbox360!

flying_squirl said:
7th? bloody hell!!! hopfully not all my hd ones? right? right?!

No, I've only done 1 of your HD ones so far. I've got 4 H2 helmets, 1 H2 ODST, your HD H3, and now working on H3 ODST. But I may do another of your HDs cause it was so much fun.

And awesome work on the torso so far, can't wait to start that one too.

flying_squirl said:
thanky! :D its amazing what you do instead of propper work. hehe. speaking of which i should probibly do that.... haha
yeah that why my thread is dying. lol

DoC ByTeS said:
:not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy:

You let me know when your torso is ready, helmet almost complete! Cant wait to start your new torso!!!!!!!!!

dude, you'll be the first to know! im so increadibly impressed with what youve done with the pep!!!

Darth-Malevelus said:
I love your work man!

Im anxiously waiting for more parts to start. If I could get my hands on the models bits, I could work on them too!

Sucks not having an xbox360!
thanks! (owowowowowo, my eye just started hurting!!!!...... ow.... ok... its gone mow. weird). unfortunatly havin an xbox wont get you the models (i tried). :whistle:

Ruze789 said:
No, I've only done 1 of your HD ones so far. I've got 4 H2 helmets, 1 H2 ODST, your HD H3, and now working on H3 ODST. But I may do another of your HDs cause it was so much fun.

And awesome work on the torso so far, can't wait to start that one too.
ohhh, phew! wow!!!! youve been busy!!! heh, wont be too long now.

dannifood4less said:
yeah that why my thread is dying. lol
aww, poor thread. hows the smoothened helmit comming bdw?

----

wow, thanks for the support guys i was )OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWO, HWTA THE HELL!!! my eye has suddenly gotten realy sore again! "thankfuly the gods saw fit to give me a spare") quite passive about getting it (ok its gone now) done. but not anymore!!! :D XD thanks again

bdw, someone pointed out something i ment to include in my last hd model (i think it was Darth). i forgot to include a template for the patteren under the visor, so, ill do a bita work on that n post it up here some time this week. obvisly ill try make it as easy to use as possible but if anyone has any suggestions just lemme know (about any of the models, not just the visor detail). :D

as always, if anyone has any problems with the models just gimme a shout. talk to you guys (and girls) soon,

FS

------------

bdw, Darth, ill see what i can do. ;)

WOWS!!!! *squeal at Torso model* OM OMG SOOOO awesome!!!

Nah, turns out I screwed up on all ends. The helmet would fit, but the is no room for fans, lights etc. I may make a "huge Embarassing failure" thread, haha, it's still fun :)

Hahaha I used letter instead of A4... so the size is wrong again. I also will be getting a hot glue gun... the damn super glue is not forgiving at all, even when I soften it with alcohol.

*cries at Doc's helmet* So pretty!!

Skullcandy Girl said:

Nah, turns out I screwed up on all ends. The helmet would fit, but the is no room for fans, lights etc. I may make a "huge Embarassing failure" thread, haha, it's still fun :)

Hahaha I used letter instead of A4... so the size is wrong again. I also will be getting a hot glue gun... the damn super glue is not forgiving at all, even when I soften it with alcohol.

Rubber cement is a perfect balance between super glue and hot glue. Thanks btw

DoC ByTeS said:
Rubber cement is a perfect balance between super glue and hot glue. Thanks btw

Oh I'm so glad you mentioned rubber cement. Should I dry mat the rubber cement or just use it the regular way?

You know I just thought of something.

I figured Id share just in case no one had thought of it yet. I dont use hot glue for putting the mold together. But this would help with more of the detail work once the paper is removed.

If the pep file is printed with the texture applied, you could use the texture as a guide to get all the indent lines inplace prior to placing your material to the paper mold, via a hot glue gun. Sure it wouldnt be perfectly even, but you could trace out the indent lines on the inside of the paper mold, using a flash light to show the printed texture lines from the outside. Once the fiberglass, or bondo was applied and dried, and paper was removed, just peel off the hot glue ribbons you layed and youll have the indented lines right where you want them.

Do alittle filling and evening them out and it will make little work out of alot of the finer details.

Just my 2 cents.

flying_squirl said:
aww, poor thread. hows the smoothened helmit comming bdw?
i havent had time to start working on it again, i just finished the carbine the other day i dont know if too many people know its there tho. :p
i have it scaled in 1:1 , and for a normal human, (5'11'')
edit-
started working on the helmet today i should finish "smooth helmet mkvi 2.0" by tomorrow night.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Oh I'm so glad you mentioned rubber cement. Should I dry mat the rubber cement or just use it the regular way?

I dry mat work great!

flying_squirl said:
right, heres some eye candy of the torso that i have in progress:

[images removed for space]

FS

You just gave me diabetes of the eyes. (y)

Wow, FS, that looks great... Gah! I'm so torn! There's now like 3 different people doing armor that I want to use! And I'd like to do an entire set of one for consistency's sake, but I might have to scrap that, or I'll never get to start my suit...

BTW, are you like modifying the hell out of the game rips, or are you doing it all by hand from reference?

Man we are really spoiled for choices now. I have been working on a chest from Slypho's releases but I am thinking of scrapping that in favour of that chest... seems like I will save time in the end.

The angels sang out in immaculate chorus, as the torso piece flew down on a golden cloud.

That's pretty much what my vision was like after I looked at your pep piece. That is amazing. Even the edges around the side holes have been rounded off and detailed.

Skullcandy Girl said:

Hahahaha!! No, I wouldn’t make an ‘embarrassment’ thread, ide make a ‘look what I did wrong so you don’t do it’ one, everyone messes it up at some point and the more people who know about the common mistakes the less people will fall into them. ;)

Ah, another unfortunate letter page user. Sorry about that, I realy should do a letter sized version but it took sooooo long *cries*. As for superglue!!!! I hate using the stuff, unless it on sheets of stirine or something. Even at that it’s a s.o.a.b. to work with. I don’t think alcohol will do much to it… it might help you be more relaxed about it when using it thoe. Hahah. Theres a superglue remover solution but its prity damn strong stuff so ide just go with what Doc suggested.
Oh and speaking of Doc: I know!!!!! Isn’t it amazing?!!!!

Darth-Malevelus said:
You know I just thought of something.

I figured Id share just in case no one had thought of it yet. I dont use hot glue for putting the mold together. But this would help with more of the detail work once the paper is removed.

If the pep file is printed with the texture applied, you could use the texture as a guide to get all the indent lines inplace prior to placing your material to the paper mold, via a hot glue gun. Sure it wouldnt be perfectly even, but you could trace out the indent lines on the inside of the paper mold, using a flash light to show the printed texture lines from the outside. Once the fiberglass, or bondo was applied and dried, and paper was removed, just peel off the hot glue ribbons you layed and youll have the indented lines right where you want them.

Do alittle filling and evening them out and it will make little work out of alot of the finer details.

Just my 2 cents.
Mold?? Are you using the pep as a plug?
AHAA!!! I know what you mean, but unfortunately ive edited the model with no regard for the uvw co-ordinates (I don’t think they were there in the first place, as doom will point out, the models ripped from the game have the uvws messed up) so the texture wont work..… BUT!!!!! (hehehe) I did build the more important indented lines into the actual mesh!!!! You can see them especially around those bits at the sides near the back. <*insert picture*>

I even broke it up in pep so if you removed most of the lines to make it smoother they would still be there as a reference!!!! (eeehehehe..teehee *chuffed with self*)

Speaking of smoothened version I must put up a version with most of the lines removed because I don’t think a lot of people are realising I did that.

dannifood4less said:
i havent had time to start working on it again, i just finished the carbine the other day i dont know if too many people know its there tho. :p
i have it scaled in 1:1 , and for a normal human, (5'11'')
edit-
started working on the helmet today i should finish "smooth helmet mkvi 2.0" by tomorrow night.
I didn’t know its there!!!!! Ill bump it. Did you have much trouble with the barrel? I saw that and though ‘screw this, im goin back to the torso’.

SH_Jack said:
You just gave me diabetes of the eyes. (y)
Hahahahaha, thanks! well hopefully you wont be loosing a foot anytime soon, I think most Spartans have two.. then again…. Simmens doesn’t have his entire body….. *drifts off subject and starts rambling about rvb*

Nicktendo said:
Wow, FS, that looks great... Gah! I'm so torn! There's now like 3 different people doing armor that I want to use! And I'd like to do an entire set of one for consistency's sake, but I might have to scrap that, or I'll never get to start my suit...

BTW, are you like modifying the hell out of the game rips, or are you doing it all by hand from reference?
Hahah, I know what you mean. Im using the game models as a base and the using forge as reference. Don’t wory, its about as game acurite as I can feasibly get it while still having it (possibly?) make-able.

P32 said:
Man we are really spoiled for choices now. I have been working on a chest from Slypho's releases but I am thinking of scrapping that in favour of that chest... seems like I will save time in the end.
Well essentially im using the same model as hes exported and im just modifying the crap out of it!!! Hahaha! But the time you save will be dependent on how good you are at pep vs bondo so its up to you. Personally ive grown to hate bondo, that’s why im going to all this length.

s-meister said:
The angels sang out in immaculate chorus, as the torso piece flew down on a golden cloud.

That's pretty much what my vision was like after I looked at your pep piece. That is amazing. Even the edges around the side holes have been rounded off and detailed.
Hahahahahahahaha, very monty python-esk! Thanks! Yup, but there not over done, its still possible to assemble… so far…

--------------------

Ok, well, as you know im workin on the torso but im also guna do a version of the helmet with less lines for those of you who like not having to score so many damn lines *shakes fist at lines*. Its all prity much set up, I just need to save it out like that, so it wont take long.

As for the torso, im workin on the back detail atm (there’s a surprising amount, check it out in forge). I was worried that because of the stupid amount of folds in the new structure that it might get weak and floppy so im guna be adding in little support struts into the actual body of it, a bit like the ones in the helmet but these are in between the inner and the outer shell(yes its gunna have body to it(and yes I left space for the females among us)).
Now, I am adding an inside to it but don’t worry, I know we all need to glass this damn thing so its guna be minimal, mainly for support and so that it sits properly while still having plenty of room to get the fibreglass strips into place wile not sacrificing support.
You might be able to make out a bit of what im talking about from the pictures. If not, lemme know n ill post up a pic of it sliced in half.

I think that’s enough of an essay for one day(lol), I should probably get back to work n remind my manager that she forgot to give me a new project since I told her I finished the last one early. Hahaha, I love my job!!!

any problems, gimme a shout

FS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back