Halo 3 Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

23Magnum

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071...ity-issues.html

This is an article I came across while doing that 'X Marks the Spot' online competition/drawing. Once you read it my post will make more sense, but to generalize it. Someone is sueing Bungie and Microsoft about their Xbox360 system failing blaming Halo 3 for the problem.

First off, if this even goes to court, their won't be enough evidence to support the claim that the failures are due to Halo 3 "glitches". Second, I believe this is some idiot trying to make a quick buck on a popular problem. Finally, this could also be a ploy by other companies to draw attention away from the 360 to sell their own products. If you don't believe the last one happens, it does. I don't have any proof, but it's a term called corporate espionage which, if this is what I think it is, applies here.
This makes as much sense as the people sueing Nintendo for throwing their Wii controllers through their TV screens (<---idiots).

Edit - I just relized this sort of applies to the Halo Universe. Mods, if you could move this then, much obliged.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(23Magnum @ Nov 28 2007, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071...ity-issues.html

This is an article I came across while doing that 'X Marks the Spot' online competition/drawing. Once you read it my post will make more sense, but to generalize it. Someone is sueing Bungie and Microsoft about their Xbox360 system failing blaming Halo 3 for the problem.

First off, if this even goes to court, their won't be enough evidence to support the claim that the failures are due to Halo 3 "glitches". Second, I believe this is some idiot trying to make a quick buck on a popular problem. Finally, this could also be a ploy by other companies to draw attention away from the 360 to sell their own products. If you don't believe the last one happens, it does. I don't have any proof, but it's a term called corporate espionage which, if this is what I think it is, applies here.
This makes as much sense as the people sueing Nintendo for throwing their Wii controllers through their TV screens (<---idiots).

Edit - I just relized this sort of applies to the Halo Universe. Mods, if you could move this then, much obliged.</div>

it real, i was told of it a few days ago, hes sueing for crashing/freezing of the consoles under some consumer law in cali.

Xavier said:
it real, i was told of it a few days ago, hes sueing for crashing/freezing of the consoles under some consumer law in cali.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...subSection=News
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Bungie_and_...ourt_10912.html
http://www.xuecast.com/?p=278

Here are three other articles I found with a Google search. They don't really cover this consumer law that Xavier mentioned.
Xavier, if you find anything more about the consumer law stuff, could you post it here then, thanks.
I don't know much about this consumer law, but I really doubt this guy has any case worth a judges time.

Seems like people are treating this mostly as a humorous plot to get rich quick, which should obviously fail.

Edit - Good old Wikipedia...Consumer Protection

Last edited by a moderator:
It's for real, ... and sadly I have to confirm this guys complaints. Not on my own system, but on the 15 Halo 3 consoles that I maintain at work. DRE failures and Halo 3 freezing is a daily issue that I personally have to deal with.... on our brand new consoles. It's been happening since day 1 with Halo 3.... but we never had a problem with Halo 2.

I posted my bit about it on Bungie.net a while back:5th post down on this page.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?po...Repeater1-p=103

If theres 110 pages of complaints on Bungie.net and well over 300 pages of complaints on xbox.com and Bungie and Microsoft aren't addressing any of this then I really think that someone needs to do something.

If anything I think all a class action suit like this will do is to force Bungie/MS to troubleshoot the problem and address it with a downloadable patch for the game. They'll have to make it accessable for everyone who purchased the game, not just XBL subscribers.

Well I think if it's a software glitch Bungie is going to be taking the brunt of this one. If it's a combination of MS overlooking something, not underheard of, and Bungie not picking up on it in development, then this may be a really big problem that's about to explode. This lawsuit could be the fuse.

The funny thing is that I've had no problem like this with my system playing Halo 3 and I've had it nearly 2 years now.
I think it odd that newer systems would have this problem with Halo 3, and my older one would not.

I wonder if it's a system link problem...Sean are the ones you maintain system linked through hard line or wireless?
Also, I assume DRE means 'disc read error', not sure just figured that's what it meant.

I bet for people who don't have XBL, they will have to invest in a memory card to go get the patch from some local store 360 kiosk. If you're unsure what the kiosks are, check the link.

Belive me you dont file a law suit against Microsoft for a "Quick Buck" or that quick buck will come back and and pardon my french F--- you up the a--. You dont screw around with Microsft for anything but serious matter unless your asking for a death wish.

As for the lawsuit against whom i would say it would be against MS and Bungie because at the time the game an the alleged "Bug" was implemented they were a collaboration.

23Magnum said:
I wonder if it's a system link problem...Sean are the ones you maintain system linked through hard line or wireless?
Also, I assume DRE means 'disc read error', not sure just figured that's what it meant.

Hard lines System Link.

Network is fine. It's a disc read error... Some claim dirty discs, but ours are clean as the ya we got em'

Hope theres a patch that they can do for this... I'm sure that they're looking into it and won't say anything until they have a fix for it.

Class action suits work when companies don't want to address a flawed product. Look at the PS2 suit:

Sony settles PS2 class action suit
Ruling on infamous "disc read error" issue could give qualifying PS2 owners $25, a free game, free repairs, or a replacement system.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Nov 9, 2005 5:11 pm PT

PlayStation 2 owners whose systems have given them inappropriate "Disc Read Error" messages are eligible to reap the benefits of a settlement in a class action lawsuit they might never have heard of.

Sony Computer Entertainment America, Sony of Canada, and Toys R Us of Canada have settled a class action lawsuit over the systems, pending the approval of US and Canadian courts. If those courts approve the settlement, gamers who have recently purchased, repaired, or lost the use of an affected PS2 are eligible to receive a check for $25 ($31 Canadian), a free PS2 game from a specified list, or a free or reduced cost repair or replacement (at SCEA's discretion) of an affected system.

A Sony rep confirmed the settlement for GameSpot but insisted it is in no way an admission of guilt. "While we are convinced that there is no problem with these models, and that we would win if we defended this case through trial, we have agreed to settle these lawsuits to avoid the extraordinary high cost of cumbersome class action litigation," the representative said.

It should be noted that this settlement doesn't mean a free $25 for everyone who ever got a "Disc Read Error" message from his or her PS2. All claims must be accompanied by proof of the purchase and/or repairs. Claims must be made over the settlement Web site or mailed and postmarked by February 16, 2006.

It will be a while before anybody sees the benefits of the suit. First the settlement needs the approval of the courts, and those hearings in the US and Canada have been tentatively scheduled for April 28, 2006, and May 11, 2006, respectively.

For more details on who qualifies for the benefits and how to claim them, check out the settlement Web site.

Can I stretch the topic a bit and add that some other systems fail? :D

My DS: you cannot fit Game Boy games in it. Only Game Boy Advance cartridges.

My Wii: SSB Melee works perfectly fine in the GameCube, but the disc can never be read for more than five seconds in the Wii.

My PC: The Blue Screen of Death is a frequent visitor and so is Mr. Lockup. And Mr. I'mACrappyAT&TBrowser.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(23Magnum @ Nov 28 2007, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>......This makes as much sense as the people sueing Nintendo for throwing their Wii controllers through their TV screens (<---idiots).</div>
wii-tards!

Rid3r said:
Can I stretch the topic a bit and add that some other systems fail? :D

My DS: you cannot fit Game Boy games in it. Only Game Boy Advance cartridges.

My Wii: SSB Melee works perfectly fine in the GameCube, but the disc can never be read for more than five seconds in the Wii.

My PC: The Blue Screen of Death is a frequent visitor and so is Mr. Lockup. And Mr. I'mACrappyAT&TBrowser.
this is very true and the idiot claiming that these general glitches entitile him to five million is... well hes an idiot.

on the same note, ive never had a problem with my xbox 360. but ive had problems with my ps2 gameboy(original one) and sega megadrive not to mention lots of pcs giving me the BSOD(no problems with my xbox... em... 1?). im not saying it doesnt happen because im sure it does but i just dont see why he, or anyone, should be given 5 million over a crashed game. maby a new 360, glitch free halo 3 and a year or two of xbl gold and a patch available to everyone but a personal cheque for 5 million is stupid.

is not like he lost irriplaceable information!!!

Who said he was asking for five million? If you read the lawsuit (available at http://www.courthousenews.com/2007/11/21/Halo3.pdf) he's suing for 'repair or replacement' for himself and any others who are affected under the class action. So... in effect he's not asking for money he's asking for Microsoft to address the issue with the game and fix it... He want's them to fix the game so everyone who paid for it gets what they paid for.

He's not asking for cash... he's asking for Halo 3 to work reliably in the 360, the way it was sold as. Pretty reasonable considering that Halo 3 made over $170 million in it's first 24 hours...

And remember fellas, just because the game worked for you doesn't mean that it works for everybody. Last I checked, you are not everybody.

Sean Bradley said:
Who said he was asking for five million? If you read the lawsuit (available at http://www.courthousenews.com/2007/11/21/Halo3.pdf) he's suing for 'repair or replacement' for himself and any others who are affected under the class action. So... in effect he's not asking for money he's asking for Microsoft to address the issue with the game and fix it... He want's them to fix the game so everyone who paid for it gets what they paid for.

He's not asking for cash... he's asking for Halo 3 to work reliably in the 360, the way it was sold as. Pretty reasonable considering that Halo 3 made over $170 million in it's first 24 hours...

And remember fellas, just because the game worked for you doesn't mean that it works for everybody. Last I checked, you are not everybody.
oh sorry, i had read a different one and assumed it was the same one. sorry. thats good then, i just thought he was trying to make money while complaning. also i said that i havent had problems with it but i dont doubt that other people have.

No offense taken squirrel. I just doin't want people to get the wrong idea. I have to deal with this issue on a daily basis at my job... so I'm really hoping that something comes of this. If I didn't have to reset our Halo 3 consoles several times a day in our LAN center my life would be sooo much easier... I could return to using that time to actually fixing broken games rather than using it to help our 360's to limp along.

All it would take is a software patch, I'm sure... MS is just afraid of the potential bad PR if they recognize this problem with the game.

Sean Bradley said:
No offense taken squirrel. I just doin't want people to get the wrong idea. I have to deal with this issue on a daily basis at my job... so I'm really hoping that something comes of this. If I didn't have to reset our Halo 3 consoles several times a day in our LAN center my life would be sooo much easier... I could return to using that time to actually fixing broken games rather than using it to help our 360's to limp along.

All it would take is a software patch, I'm sure... MS is just afraid of the potential bad PR if they recognize this problem with the game.
kewl thats good. i should read it first before assuming it was the same. wow, that sucks but your right, they probibly would see it as bad pr. :(

Sean Bradley said:

No offense intended, but he is sueing for the $5 Million, just not all for himself as some articles on the net have said. I read some of the lawsuit you posted, Page 4, #17, under Jurisdiction and Venue it states..."this action seeks monetary relief in excess of $5,000,000, exclusive of costs and attorneys' fees and interest..."
Later, it goes on to say about Nunez being a representative of a Class that has similar claims. (Page 8, #38)

All in all, this is a large group suit, but it's just that the others cannot file without a similar amount of proof that Nunez has brought before the court. Therefore, Nunez is basically representing almost everyone in California that bought Halo 3 from August 2007 forward. (Page 7, #34)

That's what I got from the lawsuit. So, all in all, he, AND others, are trying to get compensation for their troubles, but all I believe this will do is get them new systems, and force MS & Bungie to fix the problem, which is what everyone is after anyway.

Hopefully, this court battle won't delay MS & Bungie from fixing this problem. Especially in Sean's case where this is part of his business.

- Magnum

PS - :lol:, Wii-tards...now that's a good one. I have to remember that.

23Magnum said:
No offense intended, but he is sueing for the $5 Million, just not all for himself as some articles on the net have said. I read some of the lawsuit you posted, Page 4, #17, under Jurisdiction and Venue it states..."this action seeks monetary relief in excess of $5,000,000, exclusive of costs and attorneys' fees and interest..."

I read most of it, but I didn't see that part.... now I'm not so sure about all this.... :eek:

I think they carried this out they way they did so it shouldn't take so freakin' long to go over all the evidence and such, but I sort of doubt MS or Bungie will be working on a fix while this is in court. Which is bad news for people like you Sean, but let's hope it just gets settled out of court as I don't think anything has started quite yet. If this problem is really as bad as it sounds, it's probably only a matter of time before my, along with others', system fails because of Halo 3. We're all probably going to need that fix sooner or later. I think it'll probably be a couple months till this is settle, then another few months till a fix comes out. So, hopefully no later than April, but let's hope it's sooner than that.
:crosses fingers:

-Magnum

Is there maybe a chance that this guy (and others) played the **** out of their Halo 3 and 360's which lead to the crashing? I'd just want Microsoft to give me a new system and game. Shooting doods isn't worth $5,000,000... just buy a Wii :D I kid I kid.... even though it is an awesome system :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back