Halo 3: Marines Are You Still Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightstar

Hello all at the 405th. It's been a while since I have done anything here, but after Dragon Con 2K9 I wanted to start back again strong. With all the popularity of Halo 3:ODST, understandably so, I was wondering is there any room for Halo 3: Marines around here? I ask because there seem to be some really good armor kits/pepakura/methods of making and/or acquiring Halo 3 Marine armor. Not to forsake Spartan armor, but it's less intensive and the Spartans always need good Marines to watch their backs.

Concerns for me about this are as follows:

1) Don't want to be the only one out there doing this. I like a good group of geeks, nerds and hard core fans to pal around with.

2) I wanted to get a set of unfinished and unpainted armor from someone, but his name is on the 'WALL OF SHAME' list. So I don't want to start a riff with the good people of the 405th if I where to show up at an event wearing his armor.

3) Maybe someone has done this, but I have yet to see a SMG. Johnson any DAMN wear. What's up with that?!

Talk to me 405th peeps. What are you feelings?

Glad to have you back!! I certainly agree that the popularity of the latest installment in the series definitely got a lot of people inspired to do an ODST, which is great. But I have to agree, to my knowledge, there aren't a whole lot of active Marine projects going on. I myself would certainly like to have one as well. Maybe people don't like, cigar smokin', camo wearin' grunts.:lol No offense to any real Marines intended, I have a ton of respect for all of you who serve. Oh well, maybe we can see more of them in the future. Here's hoping!!

I've seen a few marines about lately, some in more completed states than others.

There were these guys who just finished theirs in time for the ODST release In This Thread, I thought they did a pretty awesome job. I know there are more that I've seen in the past few weeks, but that's the only one I was able to dig up quickly. But they're out there! Personally, doing a marine is on my "someday somehow" list.

I am actually working on several parts. I lucked into a great helmet and chest piece from Proj3ct003. He has a full marine completed and had some left over parts, so we worked out a trade. Great guy and a please to talk with.

- Adulese

Thanks everyone. Good to know the info. While I wouldn't mind an ODST Sgt. Johnson I will have to go for classic Halo 3 Sgt Johnson instead. Should be fun once I work out the details of getting the armor kit from my source. WHEN I get it going I'll post a progress thread in the appropriate spot. I'd make my own out of pepakura, but I lack the space and tools. I have the ability to make modifications and paint armor. That's my skill set and limit for these projects.

If its Marine body armor you're hunting for, see if you can't get a hold of Michael Vroegop (A.K.A. VROGY). I know he's just completed a very sleek set of Marine body armor. Pretty sure he's selling it, too.

http://www.vrogy.net/

Any mods want to crack down on me for mentioning a banned member for the great work he does, go for it. Last I checked, there was no rule for posting links to and commenting positively about banned members.

Spartan137 said:
If its Marine body armor you're hunting for, see if you can't get a hold of Michael Vroegop (A.K.A. VROGY). I know he's just completed a very sleek set of Marine body armor. Pretty sure he's selling it, too.

http://www.vrogy.net/

Any mods want to crack down on me for mentioning a banned member for the great work he does, go for it. Last I checked, there was no rule for posting links to and commenting positively about banned members.

Actually now that you mention it that is the source from where my armor will come. That's part of the reason I posted this thread. I didn't want to cause strife with people on the boards here if I showed up to a con wearing his armor kit and then everyone is hating on me. Also I read why he was ban from the boards and I can't say I blame the 405th moderators for their actions. I don't know the whole story, but it seems like a mutual thing. Still hasn't stopped him from crafting quality stuff and having open and friendly communications with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeahhhhh..... There were 3 of us wearing his armor at the con.

If the mods have a stick so far up their ass that they can't accept and appreciate quality armor, regardless of it's source, then they can enjoy said stick. But I heard nothing but positive comments at Dcon, so I think your worries are baseless.

MY interp of Sgt. Johnson. I know I know, white kid trying to be black. yadda yadda.

IMG_0352.jpg

You should definitely pick up a set of Vrogy's armor. It's cheap, looks great, and was designed around an actual human body so it fits well and is rather comfy to wear. To be honest, I'd rather run around as a marine at a con than as a Spartan. Not nearly as hot, more freedom of movement, and you can't run around shouting "HOOO-AH!" at people while you smoke cigars and nearly get your ass kicked by talking like a jive-ass honkey. :D

Honkey say WHAT?

jeffersons.jpg

LMAO j/k

It's all good! I loved you guys in the parade this year. I was one of the Spartan '300'. I was busy running around taking care of peoples costumes and organizing the parade to stop and have a good conversation with you guys. Wish Dragon Con had more time in the day to do it all, but there isn't.

Once he works out some details on how he is going to do the next set and, hopefully, gets more people together to make production worth his time, I will be getting an unfinished kit. Should be fun times ahead.

fightstar said:
I didn't want to cause strife with people on the boards here if I showed up to a con wearing his armor kit and then everyone is hating on me. Also I read why he was ban from the boards and I can't say I blame the 405th moderators for their actions. I don't know the whole story, but it seems like a mutual thing.

He was always pushing the envelope and then begging misunderstanding or ignorance when he got in trouble. Then he finally pushed it too far.

Just remember that according to his philosophy, you can recast anything that belongs to him without worry. That's one of the major philosophical differences we have and why none of us will sell to him because in his mind he can do whatever he wants with any props or casts.

You who got warnings in this thread are promoting verbally and being disrespectful of the mods.

Personally (not as a mod) - I will hate on folks who carry that gear. It has nothing to do with quality (and that vac-stuff is alright). It's that whoever is wearing it is promoting Vrogy himself.

We put up with Vrogy for a long time and I ran out of patience for his ilk then before he was banned. I won't put up with his cronies or his crew spewing their own propaganda on the boards any more. You guys want to stay members, put a lid on the anti-mod posts. Vrogy has always been a pro at weaseling around the facts and trying to cast himself in a better light. You buy it, I won't hold it against you. That's why links and discussions of his work are allowed here. We try our best to be fair and impartial but after some of the stories I've heard from D'con about the behavior of Vrogy's crew toward other 405th members the line has to be drawn.

You want to be a part of the 405th, play nice. Hateful and disrespectful members will be warned then banned. That applies both toward member communication toward other members and member communication toward moderators.

Sigma

Chris

Speak out against Masa? Oh no suh! Nevah again suh!

May the good Lawd strike down this poh foo if he ever go flappin his lips against the masa again!

Personally (not as a mod) - I will hate on folks who carry that gear.

So please, be sure to let us know what hat you're wearing at the moment when you're censoring and banning those who disagree with you.

It's that whoever is wearing it is promoting Vrogy himself.

Yeah.... I definitely don't remember running around the Convention handing out his business cards. I was too busy having fun in my armor. hmm.

I won't put up with his cronies or his crew spewing their own propaganda on the boards any more.

"Vrogy's armor is cheap, wears well, and looks good" DAMN! They broke our code boys! The reds are comin! Clamp your hands over the children's ears! Don't let them hear such vile speak!

You buy it, I won't hold it against you.

but... but... you just said?

Personally (not as a mod) - I will hate on folks who carry that gear.

I admit, my implication that moderation staff who got bent out of shape over past digressions could sodimize themselves with a stick, was not my most elequent moment, and for that I appologize.

But to come into this thread with such bile and bigotry against a former member?

Hateful and disrespectful members will be warned then banned.

The only one being Hateful in this thread is YOU. :rolleyes

Oh for pete's sake... could everyone please quit generalizing and towell snapping each other in this thread and just get back to it.

Say what you want about mods, I don't care, my conscience is clear. I work to make this a better place, period.

You guys brought Vrogy up.. holding him up like bait to us from the very first post he was mentioned in, hoping one of us would say something about him just so you'd have the opportunity to start yelling "SEE THESE MODS ARE BIASED!!!, UNFAIR! UNFAIR!!!" Sigma correctly clarified that he was speaking personally, not professionally in his role as a mod.

Now, for god sakes.. get back to topic and leave the drama to daytime soap operas. Want to be cool and anti-authoritarian? Want to join the resistance? Leave the 405th and leave us alone. I'm sick to death of having people sniping at us from inside the forums like a bunch of team killing f*^%$*(&$. Being rude and insulting mods has nothing to do with Vrogy anymore. He's off doing his thing elsewhere. It is however a rule.. break the rule and you get the reprimand, regardless of topic.

Thanks a metric ton. Enjoy your day.

Wow. This topic went from a request to see how many marines are in the 405th to flamebait once Vroggy was brought up. It's rather interesting, but back on topic ... I am finishing up my Marine helmet I got from Project003 this month and hope to cast it later this winter (Yes Project003, you will automatically get a free copy).

- Adulese

Sean Bradley said:
Oh for pete's sake... could everyone please quit generalizing and towell snapping each other in this thread and just get back to it.

Say what you want about mods, I don't care, my conscience is clear. I work to make this a better place, period.

You guys brought Vrogy up.. holding him up like bait to us from the very first post he was mentioned in, hoping one of us would say something about him just so you'd have the opportunity to start yelling "SEE THESE MODS ARE BIASED!!!, UNFAIR! UNFAIR!!!" Sigma correctly clarified that he was speaking personally, not professionally in his role as a mod.

Now, for god sakes.. get back to topic and leave the drama to daytime soap operas. Want to be cool and anti-authoritarian? Want to join the resistance? Leave the 405th and leave us alone. I'm sick to death of having people sniping at us from inside the forums like a bunch of team killing f*^%$*(&$. Being rude and insulting mods has nothing to do with Vrogy anymore. He's off doing his thing elsewhere. It is however a rule.. break the rule and you get the reprimand, regardless of topic.

Thanks a metric ton. Enjoy your day.

I dipped my toe in this problem by opening up and asking about everyone's feelings and I got, almost, everyone's feelings about this. I'm with you on the whole group togetherness thing. I to am working on making this place better in what little way I can.

Soooooo..... back to the whole UNSC Marine thing.

Adulese said:
Wow. This topic went from a request to see how many marines are in the 405th to flamebait once Vroggy was brought up. It's rather interesting, but back on topic ... I am finishing up my Marine helmet I got from Project003 this month and hope to cast it later this winter (Yes Project003, you will automatically get a free copy).

- Adulese

Look forward to seeing how that casting turns out. The more Marines the better in my opinion. If you start a thread on it I will be sure to keep track.

Spase said:
I can still marine up... so yes there are still marines around.

Glad to hear it. As said before the more Marines the better.

So the next step is to ask some of the following questions:

1) Is there a set standard for our Marines as far as which camos to use and pattern? Uniformity would be nice, but I don't want to be a costume DICK-tator about it.

2) Should we start a thread about the different ways and means to get all the items needed to troop as a Halo 3 UNSC Marine?

As an organization I'd like us to be....well, organized. As stated before I don't what to be a DICK-tator about items and things matching. So give me your input on this.

fightstar said:
So the next step is to ask some of the following questions:

1) Is there a set standard for our Marines as far as which camos to use and pattern? Uniformity would be nice, but I don't want to be a costume DICK-tator about it.

2) Should we start a thread about the different ways and means to get all the items needed to troop as a Halo 3 UNSC Marine?

As an organization I'd like us to be....well, organized. As stated before I don't what to be a DICK-tator about items and things matching. So give me your input on this.

As far as I remember, there were suggestions for patterns/BDUs made in a Marine thread. I can't remember if it was Spase's or someone elses though.

23Magnum said:
As far as I remember, there were suggestions for patterns/BDUs made in a Marine thread. I can't remember if it was Spase's or someone elses though.

I give the ol' site a search and see what's what on this matter. I have some ideas, but I want to seek some sort of consensus on the matter.

GySgt Beaudoin said:
VERY much interested in Marine armour... aiming for next year however.

No problem with that. I'm not shooting for Halloween or any particular date, Dragon Con 2K10 aside, just perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back